Quantcast

Shock piggyback protection. Homemade ideas anyone?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Say your frame required you to run your shock with the piggyback towards the rear and exposed to the crap flying off the rear wheel, and you wanted something readily removable to access the adjustments. A velcro neoprene sleeve sorta thing would be ideal, but maybe just a tube. I'd be worried about the tube getting torn up by pebbles really fast though.

Any other creative setups?

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
The velcro stuff gets beaten up by pebbles as fast as a ziptied tube. However I would still prefer it for the ease of handling if you tune your shock regularly.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
What kinda frame is it? I have seen some pretty well made/aesthetically pleasing fenders made from thick plastic/recycled fenders. Depends on the frame really. Dave Camp made a sweet 'trashcan' shock protector out of aluminum for one of his wild, one-off bikes. It was on Littermag a while back, I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Probably wouldn't work without some customization.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What kinda frame is it? I have seen some pretty well made/aesthetically pleasing fenders made from thick plastic/recycled fenders. Depends on the frame really. Dave Camp made a sweet 'trashcan' shock protector out of aluminum for one of his wild one off bikes it was on Littermag a while back, I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Probably wouldn't work without some customization.
What the hell? You happen to have any shots of that suspension linkage from the Non drive side?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
What the hell? You happen to have any shots of that suspension linkage from the Non drive side?
Mike, check this out: http://www.littermag.com/2009/diy-the-dc-specials-handmade-garage-bred-dh-bikes/

David Camp is brilliant, too bad he doesn't make bikes for the masses. There are a couple he has made that look like they have a ton of potential.

I like Brian's idea but the problem with that is you have to have a hole at both ends to get it over the shock and that totally defeats the purpose of using one of those. Also, if your bike is a little more well endowed like mine, you will need to find the John Holmes magnum size to wrap it up.:D

On a more serious note, depending on the bike and shock configuration (some pictures of your bike would be helpful) you can cut up a plastic milk carton and zip tie it. I have had great success with that since it is super light, doesn't even register on a scale, is cheap and easily replaceable, virtually indestructible due to its flex and can be cut to fit about any shape and size. The only down side I can see to it is the fact that it is some what ghetto. Very functional and practical, just not very bling.