Quantcast

shock play/something else.

Aug 23, 2011
So yeah. Normally it's the bushings or something but right now I cannot figure it out. I just got my shock back from Elka and put it on and now there is a bit of play.
The only thing that may have done it is when I popped out the little black peice (2011 Shocker) so I could reroute the cable through there. Now when I did that I notcied the bearings were not aligned perfect and one happend to pop out when I was doing something....so I popped both of them out and put them back in by screwing the bolt in. Now they are not all the way in (they were not to start...they did not go all the way into the machined out spot...there is a spacer) but the spacer takes up the reaming space but now both are the same. But yeah that might have made no sense anyways...there is play that there was not before. In this image I am talking about where the shock mount connects to the downtube. This one has a solid peice..between the two shock mount plate thingssssssss.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Can you see anything move? Look for little movements in every pivot, bearing and spot that could possibly move.
Also,whats the condition of your reducers?

Aug 23, 2011
Nah I think it's like I noticed one side was sticking out more then the other so I decided to knock it out and put it back in and figured I would do the same with the other side. Mmmm reducers..the two metal spacers things..(I forget) they seem fine, the spin freeley but I have had other shocks that do that. Everything with the shock should be fine because it just got back from warranty. Just seems weird that there would be play but if what BW said can happen I am putting my money on that. I looked and everything is tight, seems like the play (guess) is coming from the top of the link where it connects to the frame.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Nah I think it's like I noticed one side was sticking out more then the other so I decided to knock it out and put it back in and figured I would do the same with the other side. Mmmm reducers..the two metal spacers things..(I forget) they seem fine, the spin freeley but I have had other shocks that do that. Everything with the shock should be fine because it just got back from warranty. Just seems weird that there would be play but if what BW said can happen I am putting my money on that. I looked and everything is tight, seems like the play (guess) is coming from the top of the link where it connects to the frame.
Put one finger on one bearing at the time.
While apllying the brakes,move bike back and forth to locate play
Replace damaged bearing
Go out and ride your bike

... There can only be a very few places where play may occur on your bike.If the DU bushings are fine, it's pretty much guarantee the play is coming from one of the bearings ... Reducers spinning freely doesn't sounds all that good if they're easy to spin by hand.

Aug 23, 2011
Can't move the bike with the brakes on. I can lift the seat up and feel play. Can't feel movement in the bearings though, might not be looking hard enough.

Aug 23, 2011
So I took the links of again and it looks like the top of the swing arm/rear triangle thing is misaligned a very small ammount. Where the upper link meets the frame one side is about 1cm over an inch from the seat tube (outside of seat tube, not center) while the other side is under and inch. Bent? Or?

Thanks

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I had a shocker(2009), and the bearings never seemed to seat nice and tight. I forget which loctite, but there's a loctite you can apply to the bearing/seating area that makes things nice and tight. I used that everytime I reinstalled the bearings, seemed to do the trick for me.

Aug 23, 2011
you consider ~12mm's of misalignment a "very small amount"?
Not sure where you got that number from. It's 10mm. And yes. My numbers are not exact, I didn't go back and measure again before posting.

I dont think it is the bearings right now, I am feeling play from the bushings..well I put my finger on the shock body and reducers and can feel play or I am just thinking there is play there. Amazing that the shock was just recived from elka after a month.. And so the reducers should not spin freely?