Quantcast

Shock question

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I know specialized does some funny things with shocks/forks on their OEM stock, does anybody know if the DHX5.0 on the 2007 sx trail is a specialized "mod" shock, or if its just a regular DHX 5.0?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I know it's not an "normal" 5.0. My buddy has an 07 SX trail and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any way to adjust the air pressure in it caus the valve is like 5mm from the frame.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
the reason i ask this is because i'm considering trading my new roco tst r for an 07 DHX5 stock off an sx trail. Given that I have to deal with the glory hole, i'm not really worried about pulling the shock off to adjust air pressure.

I'm wondering about internals and adjustments.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
well, it's the same except they removed the air valve. they just set it with a certain pressure in the factory and then just remove the air valve. apparently somebody had an issue with it contacting the frame so they removed it, but i don't see how it could have happened.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
wait...is there a valve or no? Right now i'm on a glory 0, and the idea would be that I would trade shocks with a guy on an SXT. I don't care in the slightest if theres problems with clearance on the SXT - what i want to know is if it still has all the working parts/same internals. which it sounds like it does, except maybe the air valve? I donno, i guess i'll just have to wait and see....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
well, it is a plain ole standard dhx 5.0 aside from the fact that it doesn't have the air valve on the end. internally it's the same thing, which is what i read the original question to be asking. simmer down mattmatt, DirtyMike's still 99% correct:crazy:

if you ended up getting the shock i can't imagine it would be too much trouble to get the original dhx parts from Fox

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
One other mod specialized had done was the length. I'm don't know what the glory uses, but the sx shock is a 9" length as opposed to the more common 8.75". Not that it won't work; but it will change your frame geometry if it's different.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
well, it is a plain ole standard dhx 5.0 aside from the fact that it doesn't have the air valve on the end. internally it's the same thing, which is what i read the original question to be asking. simmer down mattmatt, DirtyMike's still 99% correct:crazy:

if you ended up getting the shock i can't imagine it would be too much trouble to get the original dhx parts from Fox
I'm not trying to be an ass, I just want people to get their facts straight before posting. I've seen far too much E-Spec on some forums. I'd hate to see someone make a purchase based on the wrong facts.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
oh well thats good because it wouldn't fit my bike otherwise. So the 06/05 version use the same as the 07 and 08 then?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
What frame is it going on? I'd doubt your frame uses a 9" eye to eye shock unless you have a Specialized.

Someone else would have to tell you if the 05-08 use the same size shock as i'm not certain.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
its going on a glory 0. provided it hasn't changed sizes in the 30 seconds since i measured it then its 9 inches. If the shock switching gnomes secretly ran and changed it out right before i looked to the improper shock size, and then switched it back after i measured, then I'm out of luck. Otherwise, should be fine...

now i guess i just wait to hear back from him

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I'm not trying to be an ass, I just want people to get their facts straight before posting. I've seen far too much E-Spec on some forums. I'd hate to see someone make a purchase based on the wrong facts.
I do respect what your saying, thats why I added that I am oing to go and check two different years, I am going to check the 05 and the new 08, we have an 05 sitting in the back waiting for a fork, and an 08 in the box still. I know I have personally removed the DHX off of an SXT so that I could change the air pressure, and yes, there was no other way of doing it, Now we havent sold an SXT for a while now, so it very well might be something the eliminated, to keep people from dissembling there suspensions. Sp Ed's can be a bear with all there little washers they have.

Oh by the way, I will be the first one to step up and say I am mistaken when I am mistaken. So I will check and see, and go from there.