Quantcast

Shock Question

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok my front shock makes a clicking noise on it's way up. I thought it may have been a little dry, so I bought some Tri Flow (it's teflon based).

I lubed it up pretty good on the outside and it's still making the noise.

Any suggestions?

I have a Judy TT.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I believe the Judy TT is a hydracoil unit so you might be hearing the spring simply contacting the inside of the stanchion. That's normal. Now that you have contaminated the oil with Tri Flow you might want to change the oil.(Just Kidding)You probably didn't get much in there actually but don't use tri flow to lube the wipers. Get some Englund Slick Honey or Judy butter. It works much better. I like Tri Flow for cables and pivots on derailleurs. Try the Rock Shox site for maintanance manuals. You can download them.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by oldfart
I believe the Judy TT is a hydracoil unit so you might be hearing the spring simply contacting the inside of the stanchion. That's normal. Now that you have contaminated the oil with Tri Flow you might want to change the oil.(Just Kidding)You probably didn't get much in there actually but don't use tri flow to lube the wipers. Get some Englund Slick Honey or Judy butter. It works much better. I like Tri Flow for cables and pivots on derailleurs. Try the Rock Shox site for maintanance manuals. You can download them.

Oh great........ ya know I read the whole manual that came with the shock the only specifications that it said for lube were "silicone based".

Oh well, I'll ask for some of that stuff at the shop today.

Thanks!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
That's lame. They should give you some brands and types. You do need to be careful with oils. The wrong type could cause damage. When they suggest a silicone based lube I wonder if a petroleum based one will cause problems. With Grip shift for example, they recommend silicone based and on their older stuff as in X-Ray petroleum based grease caused the plastic to swell and the shifter to seize. Forever. I don't know if that could happen to Judy wipers and seals but its worth checking out.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by oldfart
That's lame. They should give you some brands and types. You do need to be careful with oils. The wrong type could cause damage. When they suggest a silicone based lube I wonder if a petroleum based one will cause problems. With Grip shift for example, they recommend silicone based and on their older stuff as in X-Ray petroleum based grease caused the plastic to swell and the shifter to seize. Forever. I don't know if that could happen to Judy wipers and seals but its worth checking out.

Ya know I meant to ask when I dropped my bike off for a tune up. I'll have to make sure I ask about it when I pick it up.