Quantcast

Shock suggestion for DHR

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Hey Monkey experts

Its time for some shock doctor loving for my DHR.

I've had my DHR 2008/9 single pivot link driven last of the Mohican versions now for a few years.

The DHXc 5 has served me well and while its not been a eye popping shock its been solid reliable and pretty predicable set it and forget it except of that dam air boost valve that has a tendency to need an eye keep on it to make sure the pressure has not altered b itself.

Current spring a 550lb but should really be on a 500lb, its been great though and good on bigger hits jumps etc but I hate how its sags so much even when its seems a bit on the stiff side.

Plus I've given my Boxxer Fork some pro tuning loving recently and now the rear is feeling pretty average like me.

Being on the other side of the world not in the US its not the easiest to get aftermarket tunes or support.

I've had a CCDB before one of the originals and I know they've made significant improvements over that model and that was pretty darn good.

I've always been keen to try a Vivid, I just like Rockshox dampening kill me later.

So I'm looking at one of those even though everyone tells me stay away from it, easy to get easy to get serviced and supported locally etc.

Keen on a CCDB limited places to buy and get information as to correct spring rate.

Always liked what Avalanche have produced but I don't want a remote reservoir shock. Great if that's now changed and it fits the DHR.

So options are:

1: re tune and service existing DHXc 5

the DHX RC4 not an option does not fit 08/09 DHRs.

2: CCDB good safe bet and reliable/ I'm familiar with it.

3: Vivid RC2C easy to buy cheap I like its simplicity and even if I don't like it its not a huge purchase to get wrong.

4: BOS yeah right be nice but no way to purchase one not even online I can't find anyone and my ability doesn't justify the extra cost lol.

5: Elka does not fit bummer

6: Avalanche - don't want a remote res, if not required and std piggy back and fits I would seriously consider it plus I can purchase direct from here to US of A well done Avy like the easy to do business and pro approach, if a possibility I would likely buy Avy cartridge for my Boxxer team as well to match and balance the performance front to rear and get a Ti spring.

What I want from my shock - a set and forget setting once dialed, I like it lively but not kicking off lips, I like my shock to sit up in its travel while pedaling to minimize pedal strikes, and accelerate effortlessly lol.

I run 165mm cranks, I want my shock/bike to track the ground but setup nice in corners, still like to pop off stuff rather than plow through it so not dead, but I'm also used to coil shocks that feel like coil shocks not ejector seats from F15s so when I read about dead shock syndrome I know what people mean but I'm not sure if that's because of how they have set them up or the bikes leverage ratio etc, so basically that description does not worry me too much.

Thank you guys/gals for any expertise in advance.

I've also had a good read through the shocks thread, CCDBs etc not much on Vivids though.

Other than that I wish I could have a Carbon V10, but a shock will have to do:thumb:.
Cheers all:)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Thanx dude I forgot about the Roco, I did also receive some feedback to stay away from that shock too, though I've seen a few DHRs here running them.

So would be keen to here your ride thoughts and feel of the Roco compared to the characteristics of the DHXc.

Ive also had that shock on another bike a few years back and like it then and had no problems with it either.

I can also easily get them here and regular serving and pro tunes.

Cheers

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
the roco felt much more controlled in rocks than the dhx did. i could never get the dhx to feel the way i wanted. the roco seemed to sit farther up in its travel compared to the dhx. i found the dhx to kinda wallow around in the midstroke mostly and just didnt like it.

My biggest complaint with the frame was the dhx, and the lack of available shocks to fit it. IMO the roco was much better simply because it was tunable. i never felt any difference in the dhx when i changed boost valve pressures and the propedal settings.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
last time i talked to elka was over a year ago and they said they were going to produce a remote resevoir version. but hasnt happened... or probably would have kept the dhr.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
DSP Dueler. Diverse Suspension Products

Extremely cheap and pretty f****** good. I'm riding one myself and it keeps on surprising me. I've earlier ridden a DHX 3.0, 4.0 (custom tuned for the frame) and a Roco Air WC. The DSP does without doubt outperform all of them! I have a friend who sold his RC4 and got a DSP, it really is very very good. Super sensitive, makes the bike feel really balanced and just eats up everything below you. It have the same adjustments as a RC4 so it's pretty tunable.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I had my stock DHX5 tuned by PUSH specifically for my 8/9 DHR. Darren when to great lengths explaining WHY the DHX was a poor match for the frame design, and the tech who did my work explained what he was going to and what how that would affect the ride. Although some of the tuning is actually non-reversible, I would never want to go back. The results were amazing. Give them a call and speak to Darren about it. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the ride quality after the tuning.

That said; my backup is a RS Vivid R2C, mid tune, and that shock also feels very nice. You can't go wrong either way, IMO, but since you already have the DHX and can have the advantages of it being tuned for you, I'd go that route.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Thanks for the feedback guys really appreciate it.

ucsbMTBmember
Great info on the Roco what you describe is pretty much what I'm looking for and I've had similar experience with the DHXc .

Yeah bummer about the ELka and Avy even if they did a remote res ver I'm not keen on that.

DSP might be a good option if I could get a hold of one, being in the land of the flightless bird with no suppliers locally DSP and the PUSH options are pretty much out unless I send my shock to a friend in the US then onto PUSH its basically out plus the cost and hassle they're and back outweighs the benefits,

I know others who that have done that, but I wouldn't trust anyone here to touch a PUSHED tuned shock if it needed a re service or anything else lol.

Also good to hear some positive feedback on the Vivid, cheers Nick, its always been a shock I've been keen to try, and mid tune is also good to know, I couldn't even get that info out of Turner.

I love Turners but it will probably be a key reason as to why I won't get a DWL Turner in future is shock choice or issues with fit, love the rig though sexy as hell.

So Vivid or Roco are high on the radar.
Plus the

CCDB I can get easily from Jenson, no problems so that's still an option as well and be good to hear from any DHR 07-09 owners who have tried other shocks and now run the CCDB and what there thoughts are.

I emailed CC but have not heard back yet been a couple of days no worries, will see what response I get from them.

Cheers all.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Until recently I rode a round tube DHR with a CCDB. Getting access to adj knobs was difficult, but once I got the settings dialed in correctly the performance was very good. I tried several springs on it and eventually found that a slightly soft spring for my weight, coupled with the right HSC and LSC, gave a ride that really ate up square-edged rocks well but still the lively pop that the DHR is known for. The wide range of adjustability was a real advantage.

CC customer service is good, but lately their email response has been slow or nonexistent ..Much better to call them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had a buddy who was running a CCDB on the frame, and he seemed to like it. I know that's a great help...

I've always been a fan of avalanche shocks. Once you order one, Craig will set it up to your frame and you won't have to do much beyond that again. I had one on my brooklyn and it was unflappable...I had a DHX5 on a Sunday that I could never get to perform the way it was supposed to. They are also generally very user serviceable and use either off the shelf or moto shop available parts. I know that they've fallen out of favor in a world of bad shock rates and poor performing designs, but with a nice, controlled rising rate on the turner, the avy would be a great match (so would any other high quality shock without bottoming control/air pressure control).

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Cheers Frorider, Sandwich

CCDB is looking good at this stage, Avalanche def would be great I would love to try them but I dunno if they make one that its my DHR model, maybe will email them and ask lest I will know.

CCDB sounds pretty good though and I'm familiar with tuning them sand it fits plus suits my bike.

thanks for the feedback guys :thumb:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Avalanche has a Push mx tune equivalent mod. It's been on "preorder" for quite a while now. He's still waiting for enough people to be interested (through preorders) in order to finally offer it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
For those interested there has been some movement on the dhx race tune from avalanche. Apparently he is having a small run of components done for initial prototypes to have actuall units in action. He has been spot on with his stuff and 30 years of design and manufacturing/tuning it will work.
Lol speaking of working I have a 10 year old dhs #0239 being updated with internals and hi/lo comp adjuster for the new bike. Now thats a indication of making a product that is in it for the long term and well designed.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
DSP Dueler. Diverse Suspension Products

Extremely cheap and pretty f****** good. I'm riding one myself and it keeps on surprising me. I've earlier ridden a DHX 3.0, 4.0 (custom tuned for the frame) and a Roco Air WC. The DSP does without doubt outperform all of them! I have a friend who sold his RC4 and got a DSP, it really is very very good. Super sensitive, makes the bike feel really balanced and just eats up everything below you. It have the same adjustments as a RC4 so it's pretty tunable.

This is an interesting option.... $313 w/ Ti spring for the shock I need for my trail bike (Trek Remedy). Not a lot of reviews but the ones I've read look very good, and it is user serviceable.

I emailed DSP, and they hooked me up with their Canadian distributor who can handle orders from the USA until they get a US distributor.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger... worst case is I just bought a Ti spring for $40 too much. A 2.5" 500 lb RCS spring is going for $270 at Go-Ride.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
You wont be dissapointed. The only bad things I've read about it is that it pedals (bobs) more than other shocks, but on my Session it pedals the same a the stock DHX, not so bad. It takes a couple of seconds to turn the LSC all the way in, then it's great for pedalling as well.

It certainly is a good match with my Session, should probably be kinda the same on your Remedy. The biggest improvement would have to be the small bump sensitivity, I'm pretty sure mine is properly broken in now and I can't feel much of the terrain under me.

The bike just floats through everything, even under braking and pedaling. The guys I'm riding with have commented on that I'm riding MUCH faster now than I did a couple of months ago. If I can blame that on my bike or myself is another question, but my confidence in the bike is boosted after I got the DSP.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
You wont be dissapointed. The only bad things I've read about it is that it pedals (bobs) more than other shocks, but on my Session it pedals the same a the stock DHX, not so bad. It takes a couple of seconds to turn the LSC all the way in, then it's great for pedalling as well.

It certainly is a good match with my Session, should probably be kinda the same on your Remedy. The biggest improvement would have to be the small bump sensitivity, I'm pretty sure mine is properly broken in now and I can't feel much of the terrain under me.

The bike just floats through everything, even under braking and pedaling. The guys I'm riding with have commented on that I'm riding MUCH faster now than I did a couple of months ago. If I can blame that on my bike or myself is another question, but my confidence in the bike is boosted after I got the DSP.
That's good to hear. I have an '09 Session 88 with the "custom tuned" dhx5. If the DSP shock is that good I may have to get one for the Session too. The Remedy pedals pretty good for single pivot, it's leverage curve is more linear than the Session. I hardly ever use the propedal on the stock rp23, if I forget to turn it off for the dh I ALWAYS get a pinch flat. :mad: I really look forward to having a nice coil shock on the Remedy, the rp23 has been annoying me for long enough.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
What would be the proper tune for the vivid R2C on a round tube DHR? I tried emailing Turner, but I haven't gotten a reply...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I believe it should be the B-tune, usually the easiest to find too.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Actually, the new R2C (previously the 5.1) has more variations in tunes now. There's now a choice of high, medium or low tune for compression and rebound individually.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Haha I was just thinking that was probably the case as I was writing. In that case I have no idea and hopefully someone more up to date will be able to help.

Personally I would imagine that medium tune for compression and rebound would be the way to go, the round tube DHR has a pretty normal leverage ratio (2.83:1 on average, not extremely low or extremely high) and the curve is smoothly progressive.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Haha I was just thinking that was probably the case as I was writing. In that case I have no idea and hopefully someone more up to date will be able to help.

Personally I would imagine that medium tune for compression and rebound would be the way to go, the round tube DHR has a pretty normal leverage ratio (2.83:1 on average, not extremely low or extremely high) and the curve is smoothly progressive.
Off topic a little:

I know you're pretty knowledgeable so when you said it was normal I was surprised. It's no secret that this bike just rips in it's own special poppy and fun way compared to a lot of other bikes out there. I thought there was something special about the leverage since the pivot location does not seem special. Now you say it's normal. Do you have any insights as to what makes this bike such a blast to ride? Knowing would be a great help to finding DH frames that I would like in the future.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
There's nothing special about the leverage curve to my knowledge, it's just a fairly progressive, low single pivot. Both of those factors lead to fairly playful and poppy bike.

The low single pivot minimises chainstay and wheelbase growth under compressions/corners which tends to help that playful feel, and the progression means that you can pump/compress more travel (early in the stroke) more easily, so you tend to get more spring energy (or 'pop') in rebound helping you when you try to get airtime.

You'll find there's negative tradeoffs to both of those things as well, it's just a matter of what suits your style.

That's probably a very brief explanation but hopefully sufficient.