Quantcast

shock/travel problems?

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
I am riding an 2002 kona stab primo with 9 inches of travel but it acts like its got 5 or 6. i have had the local bike shops(center cycle and boney lake bike shop) look at my rear shock, they said go with a different rear coil so i went with 650 pounds. i had them adjust the stiffness and rebound for my next trip up to wistler. but it still botums out over simple 5-10 foot drops. eny body have any tips on how the hell to set this thing up the right way.

oh yeah i wieght about 145 and the shock is a fox vanela rc 9'' eye to eye.

THANKS

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
what shock is it?

vanilla rc?

anyway your real problem is the bike and probably also your riding, not dissing at all but if you have a 650 spring and weigh that little then something is not compatible between your bike and your riding.

Lucky7

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
Chicago
Maybe the shock is damaged or blown. If it's been ridden hard since 2002, then it might just need to be sent back to Fox or Push for a rebuild.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well i bought it about 8 months ago used and it was in mint condition. but i mean i have had the bike shops check it out and they say every thing is fine. have any yall been to whistler? if you have i can tell you the jumps im botuming out on.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
vitox said:
what shock is it?

vanilla rc?

anyway your real problem is the bike and probably also your riding, not dissing at all but if you have a 650 spring and weigh that little then something is not compatible between your bike and your riding.
well i think my riding is fine i mean im hiting the tranys perfect and still botuming out. oh yeah my front fork is set up to feal just about the same as far as stiffness as the rear. my fork(marzochi shiver) dose great.

p.s. maybe im just going to big!!!!!!!!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
what drops are you hitting that you are bottoming on?
i agree. for you your weight with that coil, you are either stomping the landings or you are having some shock problems.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
ryan/kona29 said:
well i bought it about 8 months ago used and it was in mint condition. but i mean i have had the bike shops check it out and they say every thing is fine. have any yall been to whistler? if you have i can tell you the jumps im botuming out on.
Please share. I know the mountain pretty well.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
THESE ARE THE JUMPS AT WHISTLER THAT I BOTTOM OUT ON. well on upper a-line the big step down at the begining. the drop on a line(mid section), the big step down table right before the 35 foot table at the end of lower a-line, the big glc drop, the upper drop on the box thingy in the bone yard, the upper rock drop on dert merchant, and if i boost the big table at the end of the bone yard(the one next to the semi trailer). the last time i was up there it was snowing at the top so i didn't go up there but i think you guys get the point. i dont think the shock is blown or damaged because i had the bike shops check it out. any body have any setup suggestions? maybe that will help!

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
ryan/kona29 said:
THESE ARE THE JUMPS AT WHISTLER THAT I BOTTOM OUT ON. well on upper a-line the big step down at the begining. the drop on a line(mid section), the big step down table right before the 35 foot table at the end of lower a-line, the big glc drop, the upper drop on the box thingy in the bone yard, the upper rock drop on dert merchant, and if i boost the big table at the end of the bone yard(the one next to the semi trailer). the last time i was up there it was snowing at the top so i didn't go up there but i think you guys get the point. i dont think the shock is blown or damaged because i had the bike shops check it out. any body have any setup suggestions? maybe that will help!
I know those, and you shouldn't be bottoming on those things. They are smooth. The table on lower A-line is only 25 feet max as well. The first jump on lower A-line isn't a step down either, it just has a HUGE landing. Either your a hack, or your shock is blown.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
ThePriceSeliger said:
I know those, and you shouldn't be bottoming on those things. They are smooth. The table on lower A-line is only 25 feet max as well. The first jump on lower A-line isn't a step down either, it just has a HUGE landing. Either your a hack, or your shock is blown.
Word... bottoming on dirt jumps is no good.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
Kanter said:
How did the bike shop "check it out"? Did they open in up?

Send it in.
acually i took my kona street riding when i first got it and i droped of a 8 foot cargo box to flat and messed so stuff up in the rear shock. they sent the shock into fox and it took about 5 weeks, they said they fixed it but after i got it back thats when i started noticing these problems.