Quantcast

Shocks for a revolt type suspension.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Im looking for a damper to replace a dhx air on a lapierre dh-230 (my old bike). Dh-230 has a leverage curve similar to the revolt(ie. progressive - linearish - progressive). The current dhx air is a really bad idea as it obviously goes through the travel too much in the middle and ramps up really much at the end.

Im not so sure an rc4 would be a good idea since it is progressive. A ccdb is an option but only used. Monkeys what do you suggest?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
an avalanch tuned ccdb. you cannot possibly go fast on a bike that DOESN'T have an avalanch tuned ccdb.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Coil is the way to go and a RC4 could be fine. The LR is like you said, but the middle section is not as flat as the Evil or the DHR and the overall LR isn't very Progressive either so you should not rule out the RC4 or the Elka... CCDB is nice but I think that the Bottom out control of other shocks is still something nice to have.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Im looking for a damper to replace a dhx air on a lapierre dh-230 (my old bike). Dh-230 has a leverage curve similar to the revolt(ie. progressive - linearish - progressive). The current dhx air is a really bad idea as it obviously goes through the travel too much in the middle and ramps up really much at the end.

Im not so sure an rc4 would be a good idea since it is progressive. A ccdb is an option but only used. Monkeys what do you suggest?
The actual LR curve on the Lapierre is quite a bit different than the Revolt, about the only similarity is that there are two areas of progression but the actual values are radically different.

That being said, I've been able to tune RC4's, CCDB, VIVID, VIVID Air, Roco, and Elka to work just fine on the Revolt and dw-DHR over the last two years. I don't think that an accomplished suspension tuner will have much of a problem making any of the choices work just fine.

Dave

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The shock is not for me but I rode that frame and I know the issue. The end progression is noticable and the air shock helps that feeling. Im worried that an RC4 will have the same issue and at the end of travel you will hit a wall of progressiveness. I like it on my legend but it has a linear end of travel.

Im also thinking - Pushed Fox Van? Elka?

Dave - I know the actual values are different but from what people say the revolt feels similar to what I noticed on lapierre. I will think about contacting a tuner.

Last edited:

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
try BOS ??

I have been in contact with them, and had a little help in setting up my Stoy for different frames.

Im sure avalanche would be fine too, but your in europe and BOS is closer, get in touch with arnaud.. hes a wizard :)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The shock is not for me but I rode that frame and I know the issue. The end progression is noticable and the air shock helps that feeling. Im worried that an RC4 will have the same issue and at the end of travel you will hit a wall of progressiveness. I like it on my legend but it has a linear end of travel.

Im also thinking - Pushed Fox Van? Elka?

Dave - I know the actual values are different but from what people say the revolt feels similar to what I noticed on lapierre. I will think about contacting a tuner.
I can't really comment on the Lapierre specifically, or specifically tuning a shock for it. I was under the impression that it was a pretty extreme case but I could be wrong. Also, an air shock *should* end up with more end travel ramp than a coil spring. Sounds counter to what you are saying your experience is?

I will say that anyone who has an issue getting a shock to use full travel on a Revolt, or any other shock tuning issue with that bike really should consider working with a tuner. It is literally the easiest bike that I've ever worked on to tune a shock for. Seriously.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I can't really comment on the Lapierre specifically, or specifically tuning a shock for it. I was under the impression that it was a pretty extreme case but I could be wrong. Also, an air shock *should* end up with more end travel ramp than a coil spring. Sounds counter to what you are saying your experience is?

I will say that anyone who has an issue getting a shock to use full travel on a Revolt, or any other shock tuning issue with that bike really should consider working with a tuner. It is literally the easiest bike that I've ever worked on to tune a shock for. Seriously.
Naah, I say it ramps up at the end and goes through the travel BEFORE that. Though the issue is not using full travel but the sudden change in frame so called feel (ratio and shock stuck together) when from an overly soft(yeah air shock) it goes really hard and progressive. I just had some 2nd thoughts about the rc4 and its progressive nature. Im quite sure you can have them fairly cheap in here as people take them off new bikes and sell them for scrap ;)

Juddos

Chimp
Feb 13, 2010
Has anoyone tried a BOS Stoy with the revolt?

Interested in getting a RaRe Stoy when they come out to go on the Undead frame.

Other option is a Vivid Air... But I am still quite reserevd about buying an air shock for some reason...

More of an unknown more than anything...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
RC4 with the bottom out wound out and not much air pressure isn't that progressive a shock is it?
You are right, there is very little spring rate addition on the RC4 at full open and low PSI. With 125PSI and chamber full open there's not much contributing to spring rate at all. Don't take my word for it though, anyone who own the shock can feel for themselves. Take off the spring, open up the low speed compression and rebound adjusters, and literally compress the shock by hand on your workbench or something that won't damage the body.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
dw, do you have your settings for the Revolt/CCDB combo? Would be interested to compare them to what I'm running now...

Juddos

Chimp
Feb 13, 2010
Further more,

DW, are you willing to share setting for all shocks tried and tested regarding the Revolt...?

Judd

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You are right, there is very little spring rate addition on the RC4 at full open and low PSI. With 125PSI and chamber full open there's not much contributing to spring rate at all. Don't take my word for it though, anyone who own the shock can feel for themselves. Take off the spring, open up the low speed compression and rebound adjusters, and literally compress the shock by hand on your workbench or something that won't damage the body.
Thanks for the info. Ill look for a modestly priced rc4. Never tried to run my rc4 fully open due to my frame design (now its just a bit progressive with the shock). Hopefully it all works out ok. Worst case scenario a good friend of mine can tune the shock.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just a little bump - what is the opinion on vivid? I remember people liked them quite a bit but Ive seen no long term reviews and I remember they had some issues.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
as far as i know, they should be fine, reasonably priced, too. and the cs is good. my riding buddy has one and he is quite content. he had to send it in twice though, as he had one of the earlier models. once the compression adjustmet fouled on him and the coating of the piston shaft wore off. got it back within two weeks and had to pay nothing. by now he has the new internals and is troublefree ever since.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
At 125psi, there is roughly 40lbs of air-induced preload (which comes out to about 10-15lbs at the wheel on most bikes), and at bottom out, it's roughly 100lbs additional spring force (at the shock) from the air alone, on most bikes for most people this will equate to a ~10-15% difference from spring only. It's not really a big deal, it doesn't significantly change the shape of the spring curve, so as long as you're getting roughly the right amount of sag, you should be alright.

FWIW, I've ridden RC4s in a Revolt, a DW-DHR and even a Lapierre DH230 (btw check the weld between the downtube/top tube if you have one, right between the two tubes) and found em to work very well (like, REALLY well) on all of them. The shock really is super versatile. It has tons of mid-stroke support available if you want it, and at minimum settings the ramp up is quite mild. The shock is not perfect in every single way (for example I personally am not a huge fan of the air preload effect) but so far I'm yet to see anything that works as well on as many bikes with drastically different leverage rates.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
RC4 fitted the dh-230 fine or did you mount it upside down like they do with the 920. It seems like there is not that much space in for it but I never measured it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
RC4 fitted the dh-230 fine or did you mount it upside down like they do with the 920. It seems like there is not that much space in for it but I never measured it.
Ahh sorry it was actually a 920 I rode, not a 230! Don't know about fitment in the 230.