Quantcast

Shocks...pegs...LUCKY!!!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Ok, so this thread isn't about ND, but more about the luck some people have.

I got a call from a friend of mine. He's not a mtb'er at all, but is an awesome climber. I've know him since we were kids, and he's been taking me out climbing for years. Don't get me wrong, I like climbing, but I just don't have the passion for it that I do for mountain biking. Every time we go climbing, he kicks my butt. The only time I was able to return the favor was 2 years ago when we met up in Moab and I schooled him on Porc Rim. Since then, he's talked about mtb'ing a little, but hasn't done anything about it. Too busy climbing.

Anyway, he calls me up the other day and says "Guess what I just won in a raffle?"

I say, "What?"

He says, "I just won a 2005 Marin Rock Springs mountain bike!"

And I'm like, "DUDE!"

And he's like, "DUDE!"

And we're high fiving each other over the phone and stuff.

So now he has no excuse to get out and ride, and hopefully I have another new riding partner.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
SkaredShtles said:
Sure he does. Climbing. Climbing is like crack cocaine. Luckily I've not done enough of it to get seriously hooked.

-S.S.-
Crack cocaine ey? And you know this so well how?? Haha. :D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Sure he does. Climbing. Climbing is like crack cocaine. Luckily I've not done enough of it to get seriously hooked.
I've done a fair amount of climbing over the years, but I never got that addicted. For a while (when I lived in St. Louis) I would make a weekly trip down to southern Illinois for a day on the crags in Shawnee National Forest, but I've gotten away from it. You would think that with living in Colorado I'd do it more, but the XC riding here is so much harder than back in Missouri that if I want to continue to get better/stronger/faster, I end up spending all my outdoor time on my bike.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
<snip> You would think that with living in Colorado I'd do it more, but the XC riding here is so much harder than back in Missouri that if I want to continue to get better/stronger/faster, I end up spending all my outdoor time on my bike.
You allude to it - the time investment in climbing is sooooo much higher than mt biking. You can't really just hop out and do it.

And this is the kind of climbing that I like, which is *major* time consuming:

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
You allude to it - the time investment in climbing is sooooo much higher than mt biking. You can't really just hop out and do it.

So true. Especially if you're inexperienced and mainly top rope. I've done a bit of sport leading, but I don't have the equipment or experience to climb trad. Stoppers ain't cheap. And cams? Fogetaboutit. Bike stuff is expensive enough. I don't need to add any more hobbies at this point in my life.

Every year that I've been here, I've told myself that this is the year I'm climbing Longs. Hasn't happened yet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
<snip>but I don't have the equipment or experience to climb trad. Stoppers ain't cheap. And cams? Fogetaboutit. Bike stuff is expensive enough. I don't need to add any more hobbies at this point in my life.
I was fortunate in that I bought my rack *before* I couldn't afford it.... of course, I've never used it. :mumble:

Every year that I've been here, I've told myself that this is the year I'm climbing Longs. Hasn't happened yet.
I can recommend the below route. It was a blast. A really long day, but a complete blast........

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
But at 13,500...... you know. :help:
Yeah, with that exposure, the pucker factor goes through the roof...:eek:

And I'll make sure I tell my friend that he's got all the monkeys behind him cheering him on. Hopefully he'll dig it as much as I think he will.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
Yes, that type of climbing is a huge commitment. I've been getting into bouldering a lot lately(usually climb once or twice a week in the gym and get outside 2 or 3 times a month on weekends). So much fun, but to step up to the next level would mean a lot of cash on my part and quite a bit of time to find a friend who is willing to learn with me. I've done top-roping and it kind of bores me. I'd like to try leading, but not sure if I have the experience to try it. Maybe sometime this year I'll get into it.....I'll know where to go for questions when I decide to.

Your friend is lucky, should be a sweet trail bike.

The Ito

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I was about to try to lead my first sport .12 when I started riding. Biking sucked me in and now my rack sits in the basement cursing my name for not taking it out and scratching it up on the rock. :(