Quantcast

Shocks with alioli?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oleo struts work good on airplanes, where they basically have to work once. Isn't the concept basically a hydraulic cone/ramp? I'm thinking there'll be huge issues with high speed repetitive hits and low speed compression/stability.

Let's get this e-ride started.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
With regards to suspension design, it can be answered by a pretty simply question: does moto do it? If the answer is no, then chances are it's gonna suck for bikes. Since oleo shocks aren't a player in moto, I'm gonna go out on a not-very-long limb and say it'll suck for bikes.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Since it all depends on an orifice and needle setup, I was thinking cavitation could be a major issue. The shaft speeds involved in MTB should get that oil boiling pretty fast (at least at the microscópic level). Then I recalled the hydraulics get pressurized by a rather large volume of gas, that should stabilize things a bit, right?

I'm still trying to figure out how would they tune compression and rebound independently.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The answer is...sort of. Telescoping needle metering isn't anything new. Using charged oil as the spring though...

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
With regards to suspension design, it can be answered by a pretty simply question: does moto do it? If the answer is no, then chances are it's gonna suck for bikes. Since oleo shocks aren't a player in moto, I'm gonna go out on a not-very-long limb and say it'll suck for bikes.
The article says Moto GP has used it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pretty sure they also used no suspension on motorcycles...doesn't mean it was good.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
They've been teasing us with this Wal-Mart bike looking wonder shack for how long?

Including the Milyard, way too long! Two weeks is up!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Despite the long travel, they say it climbs like a trail bike thanks to the InsideLink platform’s 200% anti-squat.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Because if some is good, more must be better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
"There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably Tennessee: fool me once, shame on, shame on you. You fooled me, can't get fooled again!"