Quantcast

ShockWiz

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I think the idea is to have a tool to understand what does every setting do to the shock/fork behavior, not to fill in for a complete telemetry system. A rider with some mileage on its back would be able to draw the same conclusions from his/her experience without this device, since it relies in a companion app to give advise on how to modify the settings or volume of the damper.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not necessarily. If the air volume in the instrument is sufficiently small with respect to that of the fork, effect could be negligible.
If they did it right, the inner diameter of that hose is rather small and the effect of the increased volume will be very small.
Sure, but the volumes of a shock are so small that I have a hard time believing it won't make an appreciable difference there. It might be negligible on a fork, I'm willing to accept that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sure, but the volumes of a shock are so small that I have a hard time believing it won't make an appreciable difference there. It might be negligible on a fork, I'm willing to accept that.
Some back of the napkin calculations show that if that hose was about 5" long with a 1.5mm ID, an XC shock I just guestimeasured, the increase in volume when fully compressed is about 0.5%.

Let's try some numbers.
  • Presume the hose is 6" long with an inner diameter of 1/32".
  • Presume fork and shock leg have inner diameter of 36 mm.
  • Presume fork air volume of 9.5 cubic inches, shock 4 cubic inches.
If I haven't fucked up my math too badly, instrument volume's 0.2% of fork volume, 0.5% of shock, probably close to the tolerance of the pressure transducer.

Edit: Westy, stop following me around, you creep!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Some back of the napkin calculations show that if that hose was about 5" long with a 1.5mm ID, an XC shock I just guestimeasured, the increase in volume when fully compressed is about 0.5%.
I think your assumption of 1.5mm ID is pretty generous. I'm estimating an almost 20% pressure loss over the length of the hose for the kind of flow rate you'd need to get a 1ms response time.

:nerd:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
...an almost 20% pressure loss over the length of the hose
Could something like pressure loss in the hose and/or the % of increased volume of the fork or shock be corrected for in the data that this thing spits out?

Last edited:
If one were to presume that the electromechanical gubbins is without error or has reasonable error, the app's the biggest crap shoot. I would prefer to see raw data from a well characterized instrument than suggestions from an app that does who knows what under the covers. If it were well written and open source it might be a different game.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think your assumption of 1.5mm ID is pretty generous. I'm estimating an almost 20% pressure loss over the length of the hose for the kind of flow rate you'd need to get a 1ms response time.

Do they publish any sampling rate numbers?

I have no idea why you would want a 1ms response time. Anything at that frequency would just be noise, literally sound waves bouncing around the can. The hose would act as a nice low pass filter, I would see it as a plus from that standpoint. I doubt that a mountain bike tire could transmit higher frequency vibrations at any measurable amplitude. Now if you were using it on a suspension bike with road tires I could see your point.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Could something like pressure loss in the hose and/or the % of increased volume of the fork or shock be corrected for in the data that this thing spits out?
To an extent, but they'd need to have some information about the volume of the fork/shock in order to do it.

I'm also curious to know how they're handing the variable leverage ratio that you get with a rear shock.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Do they publish any sampling rate numbers?

I have no idea why you would want a 1ms response time. Anything at that frequency would just be noise, literally sound waves bouncing around the can. The hose would act as a nice low pass filter, I would see it as a plus from that standpoiont. I doubt that a mountain bike tire could transmit higher frequency vibrations at any measurable amplitude. Now if you were using it on a suspension bike with road tires I could see your point.
Fair point. I pulled 1ms out of my ass without thinking about it too hard.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If one were to presume that the electromechanical gubbins is without error or has reasonable error, the app's the biggest crap shoot. I would prefer to see raw data from a well characterized instrument than suggestions from an app that does who knows what under the covers. If it were well written and open source it might be a different game.
I too would rather see raw data, but I would have a good idea on how to crunch the numbers. The vast majority of the target audience would be scared away. Remember, we live in a country where more than half the population thinks that the sun orbits the earth.