Quantcast

shoe opinions?

TechnikSLR

Chimp
Jun 15, 2012
Has anyone road the different brands and has some real opinions on them. I'm looking for info on the teva links, shimano am45 and any 5.10. Not individual reviews real opinions.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i'm curious if anyone here has used the sombrio floats.

i have 3 pairs of 5.10s but looking for a shoe that fits my feet a little better.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I have the Teva Links and I really like them. Sorry, can't compare them to anything but SixSixOnes, as that's all I ever used before.

I have found them to be just how the professional reviewers describe them - - grippy but not so glued-to-the-pedals as 5.10s, so you can reposition your foot a bit if need be. You still have to unweight that foot to get it to move, though. Grippier than any 661s I had and I feel they'll be more durable; but too early to tell. Even though they're supposed to be a more 'walkable' shoe than many, I still found the midsole to be adequately stiff for good power transfer. I also like the fact that they aren't as over-padded chunky as some shoes, so you don't feel like you've strapped on bearpaw snowshoes.

I notice they have a mid-top version this year - - kinda wish I would have waited for that but still overall happy with the first-generations.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I've had two pairs of 5.10s, the snake skin Sam Hills and the Freeriders. The Sam Hills were too heavy and bulky for my liking. The Freeriders fit great and feel just like my skateshoes. The freeriders are currently my preferred shoe.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i have or had all three and rate them as follows:

grip:
AM45
links

comfort:
links
AM45

durability:
links/AM45

breathability:
links
AM45

my AM45's are last years white model fwiw and my 5.10's were impact II's.

i ride with the links most of the time because it's hot as sh|t here right now and they are the most breathable and comfortable. the difference in grip between all 3 is noticeable but negligible imo and i've found that my pedal pins have a pretty big impact on this - i hated the links with my spank spikes but love them with my HT AE-01's. overall i like the AM45's grip the best and use them for shuttles/pure DH as they have a bit more protection and feel a bit sturdier.

Grisha

Chimp
Jan 5, 2011
Germany
I've got some 5.10 Impacts, an the grip is great!
I really like how they absorb any hit that comes through the suspension!
They are not that comfortable to wear, but I think because of the great damping they are more comfortable to ride! But this may only apply to riding DH, on a trailbike the benefit probably isn't that great!

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I had the first version of the Impacts and they were pretty good. They lasted 4 or 5 years. I'm using the Sam Hill Impacts now and they're even better. More comfortable, better eyelets for the laces and still grippy.

My Shimanos are 2 or 3 years old and I use them for AM riding. They're a great shoe but they don't have enough grip for me when the trails gets rough. The fit is really good and the ankle protector is small enough that it doesn't bug me. I like the laces cover for when its wet, it keeps part of my feet dry.

For me durability has been pretty much the same. The laces on the Shimanos frayed pretty easy but otherwise nothing major.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
Picked up the links mids last thursday before a weekend trip too mammoth. I've had several sets of fivetens. impacts, freeriders, barons, mckaskills, maltese falcons. All have been great shoes. I loved the impact for it's stiffness and protection it offered my feet. However I felt the shoe was way to bulky. The other freeride type five tens were all very comfortable but lacked the much needed stiffer sole of my impacts. With the mcaskills I was hoping for a stiffer sole than the barons and the freerider. imho As good as the mckaskill feels it still could use a bit stiffer sole.

Enter the teva links. After one weekend of riding with them I feel this is the type of shoe 5.10 needs. The links mid has a nice stiff sole and it is far less bulky than the impacts. The shoe doesn't have quite as much grip of 5.10s but they stick pretty good. Also these shoes run narrower than 5.10's so those with wide feet may not like them. As far as durability goes I have to wait and see how these hold up over the next few months. My five tens generally last 4 to 5 months before I tear up the side on my cranks.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've been using the Karvers, was using the original hi top Impacts before that. I agree they are bulky, but I appreciate the extra armor/padding on our trails here in Phoenix. I've slammed my foot into the rocks many times, no problem.

The lace cover on the Karver is nice too, but I do agree that they are heavy. Would be interested to try out the Freerides.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
update---got some sombrio floats, like them. different fit than 5.10's; i.e. a bit longer around the toes, and a lot more arch support. grip is similar, perhaps a little less but still plenty. however does not have the feeling of external protection that the Impact has...is more like the mesh Freerider overall, i.e. midsole is medium stiffness at most.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i got a pair of the floats aswell and there sweet, i usually ride with the 5.10 freeriders. The floats are more comfy and grip is as good if not better than my 5.10s but infairness my freeriders are fairly worn at this stage.