Quantcast

Shoes with flats...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So a recent foray into the free ride/DH-ish world has me thinking of moving (At least part time...) to flat pedals with a skater type gummy soled shoe. What are the cool kids wearing these days?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Are you currently riding clipped ?

I never could go back to flats after bing clipped in. Rode flats in BMX, but just could't do it for DH. All could I think about while riding was where my feet were. Damn shame to lose track of your feet.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Allways been on flats for dh but pretty much allways clipped for xc.
Now last year I seem to have misplaced my pedals and have just been riding flats on the xc bike since. Ill never go back to riding clipped in for anything.
But, imo... Five Tens are definitly a must. Did a small lap some days ago on normal sneakers and my feet were all over the place.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
5/10s. Impact Lo for me. Been running 'em ever since I went to flats maybe 8 years ago. Got a pair of freeriders cheap on amazon last winter bit haven't tried 'em out yet.
I've been using the Freeriders for several years now and love them. I had debated between the Impacts Lo and the Freeriders when I was originally looking but went with the Freeriders because they're lighter and felt more like a typical casual skate shoe.

EDIT: Also... since they look like a typical skate shoe then you don't look awkward when using them on a casual bike path ride with the family (vs the clunky boot-like appearance of the Impacts... in my opinion)

(I have these exact ones)

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yes, been clipped in for years now...but dont like the feeling that i if I need to drop a foot I then have to search for a clip. Will stay with clips for XC, but also dig the idea posited by Iceball about the family rides.

Anyone try the Teva Links?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I alternate back and forth, I'm way more comfortable learning a trail on flats, but once I get to know the tech sections, clips are sweet, unless it's really technical, then none of the shoes I've tried have the cleats far enough back to work.

I have 5.10 Freeriders, Diddies, Impact lows and Spitfires. Freeriders are my favorites for normal day-to-day MTB riding.

Steep&cheap always has them on close-out, and I have tiny girly feet so they always have my size, cheap 5.10s FTW!

Allways been on flats for dh but pretty much allways clipped for xc.
Now last year I seem to have misplaced my pedals and have just been riding flats on the xc bike since. Ill never go back to riding clipped in for anything.
But, imo... Five Tens are definitly a must. Did a small lap some days ago on normal sneakers and my feet were all over the place.
How do you lose your pedals, aren't they usually right where you left them? At the end of the crank arm?

Flats with 5.10s ftw.
Also, in winter, riding in boots rocks.
5.10 Diddies are your friend. Same great stealth rubber, but waterproof and warm. They also have a nice bonus safety toe for those of us who lack talent and regularly smash our feet on rocks and/or wear them while working on the shop. I like them better than my Vasques for all but the gnarliest snow related tasks.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Are you currently riding clipped ?

I never could go back to flats after bing clipped in. Rode flats in BMX, but just could't do it for DH. All could I think about while riding was where my feet were. Damn shame to lose track of your feet.
I am the opposite. After years of roadie clipless, I tried clipless on my mountain bike and was too unskilled to not fall on my ass all the time. I went back to BMX style flats when I got my '00 Stinky (the start of doing stunts in the woods) and have ran them on every bike but my CX (took the toe clips off, left the sh!tty pedals).

I could see going back to clipless if I ever got a bike that might climb a little. :rofl: I am sure I have a few different pairs in my parts bucket in the garage (towards the bottom, I'm sure)

<edit> I have yet to try the 5.10's, I am usually in a pair of Vans, but they keep changing to shoes to be more expensive and less supportive. My fav shoe has been the Rowley.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
As everyone said: 5-10. I dropped out of the clipless scene entirely when the kid & I started racing BMX and don't regret it. I use freeloaders for BMX and Impacts for trail riding.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I only clip in on the road bike.
5.10s are the ticket for sure. I've worn the Freeriders and various Impacts. The big difference is the Freerider is less stiff under-foot than the Impact, but (usually) less bulky and lighter. Years ago I had the Sam Hill shoe and it was my favorite, based on the Impact as I understand.

I use Straitline DeFacto pedals and wear Impacts and Freeriders.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
<edit> I have yet to try the 5.10's, I am usually in a pair of Vans, but they keep changing to shoes to be more expensive and less supportive. My fav shoe has been the Rowley.
I started out riding with regular skate shoes & flats but I found that the pins on pedals ate the crap out of the skate shoes after just a couple seasons of riding. I've been using the 5.10 Freeriders several year for all my riding (DH/XC/Enderpro) and the bottoms barely show any wear.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Clipped in on my roadie, commuter and trail bike, flats with 5.10 impacts on the DH bike.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I ride clipped on my Chromag Stylus, mainly because it's hard to control a hard tail on flats when the trails get really rowdy, but still run flats with 5.10s on my DH bike. Can't stand riding clips on the DH bike...tried it. Not really a huge fan of flats on my Chromag, but the pedaling efficiency and staying connected in the rough stuff is worth the hassle.

Yes, been clipped in for years now...but dont like the feeling that i if I need to drop a foot I then have to search for a clip. Will stay with clips for XC, but also dig the idea posited by Iceball about the family rides.

Anyone try the Teva Links?
Searching for a clip stopped when I put 646 pedals on. Just slam in.

This said, I use flats in winter and year round on the Moonlander. Sometimes I use hiking boots, typically light running shoes. The cleats ate holes in one older pair of shoes, real uncomfortable. After reading this discussion, I might try a pair of Five Ten Freeriders.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
5.10 has a decent selection of older models on clearance in their website. There are a bunch as cheap as $40

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Amazoned a pair of 5.10 Freeriders for almost nothing after all was said and done. Thanks to all for your inputs...looking forward to crashing and riding slow another way...