Quantcast

Shoooz

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've owned one pair of mtn bike shoes in my life and I've been riding with them for over 4 years now. They've been great shoes, but they've reached the end of their useful life.

While I'm researching replacements, I'd like to hear what my fellow monkies consider to be the best.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I rode a pair of Answer Accelerators for almost 5 years. I still have them as a back-up pair. These were '97 models, I can't speak for the quality of the new models.

The most comfortable pair I've ever ridden are the Lake mid-cut shoes I'm riding now. I usually don't even take them off when I drive home from the trail. We'll see how thay last.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've used a pair of Sidi Dominators for 5 years. They finally gave up the ghost this year, and I bought another pair without even considering another shoe. They are that good.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have heard so many good things about Sidis......except the price.

I use these discontinued Shimano M220's. I know several other monkeys like these as well (Heidi, Acadian, MtnBikerChk to name a few). They have been replaced with the M221, which basically swapped out the top strap for a locking mechanism. I hear they are not as comfortable as this older model. I bought a new pair of these in the Spring when they were being blown out online. Soon as these die (hopefully I'll get another year out of them), I'll probably check out some Sidis.

Attachments

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I was looking at the Sidis over lunch, but I have a hard time swallowing the $190 price tag.

Do the Shimanos have laces and straps? If not, how well do the straps hold when wet?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by BikeGeek
I was looking at the Sidis over lunch, but I have a hard time swallowing the $190 price tag.

Do the Shimanos have laces and straps? If not, how well do the straps hold when wet?
The thing about Sidis is that they are NEVER on sale anywhere. And just TRY to find a closeout model.

The Shimanos I posted, as well as the new 221's, have straps and no laces. The 221's have two velcro straps and one locking strap. They hold up perfectly fine when they get wet. I have never had a strap come undone. The shoe stretches a bit once it gets warm, so I usually have to tighten them up after a couple miles of riding.

The 221's go for something like $160, so you might as well try Sidi's if you're going to drop that kind of coin. I paid $90 for my 220's, but that was a closeout price.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The Sidi Rampa's are on sale at REI for $70.

I didn't like the way they fit me though. Mabe I'll look at the Shimano 152. They look like the 220s you mentioned.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Shoes are like saddles. What works for someone else may not work for you. If the ones you had were comfortable then stick with the same company. Diadoras fit me, so that's what I buy.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by wooglin
Shoes are like saddles. What works for someone else may not work for you. If the ones you had were comfortable then stick with the same company. Diadoras fit me, so that's what I buy.
True. Most Specialized shoes literally hurt my feet when I lace/velcro them up. Other people swear by them.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by wooglin
I thought of that, but the model that I have has gone through major "improvements" since I bought mine. I really don't like the new model.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Foot shape really comes in to play here. I shy away from a lot of Shimano shoes because I have narrow feet. The sidis fit great - 3 straps are key! The rampas are all right (two straps) I have them as road shoes, but they don't compare to the Dominators. Nice stiff sole on the sidis, and they last forever. I've gone to softer soled shoes myself though, because of the rocky hike-a-bikes here and I don't race, so comfort comes in to play for me moreso than 'all energy' transfered from the foot/leg thang. never had any issues with straps coming loose when wet with any of my shoes unless they got muddy wet and were unstrapped and then restrapped down. I'm running lower end Northwaves now. I like em.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I rarely get a season and maybe a half from a pair of shoes. I find they get a few worn bits on the uppers and heal counters and toe bumpers start coming off. Plus the soles start getting soft or the toe area starts to sort of wilt. I find that Shimano's sometimes fit well other times not so well. But when you have small feet like mine you have less choice. I have 3 pairs of functioning summer shoes and two winter pair.

I found Sidis fit pretty well and they make some wide ones too in certain models if that's an issue. But the uppers tend to be softer than I like. Carnac make a really nice durable sho but they cost an arm and a leg, and once the sole is worn, who cares if if the upper is in good shape. I tried resoling one pair but of course the shoe maker had to make do with non stock soles. Failed experiment.

My last Shimano's were the M221 carbon sole and buckle job. I like stiff soles but they have become softer than new ones by quite a bit. And the upper seems to have broken down all of a sudden and become floppy. I have some 220's as well as spares but they are a 38 size and 38.5 would have been perfect. They don't come in halfs at that size end. I just bought a pair of 38 Specialized comps and the fit is really good. Nice and stiff and supportive too. Can't comment on durability yet, but they seem fine.

I avoid buckles if I can. They don't seem to add anything useful to a shoe. It has to be really muddy before velcro straps start letting go, but I have seen that happen. I have seen guys in races run through mud holes and the act of shtucking the shoe in the goo lifts the velcro a bit and muds up the fuzz so it doesn't stick. 3 laps later and the shoe comes off in the deepest part of the mud hole whereupon fellow competitors run all over the errant shoe driving it deeper into the muck. So buckles do have their place at times.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The only thing I suggest is to try on Sidis in person before you buy - I find them to be rather narrow in toe box. I just bought a brand new pair of Lakes but found myself wearing my very olds Vans all summer. Hardly a race shoe and anti chi chi but damn are they comfortable. :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm in the market too BikeGeek - I've had those Shimano M220's forever now but I need to replace them. I'm considering the new model since I had SUCH good luck with the old model.

I've always wanted to look into the SIDI's but won't let myself try them on since they are so much $$$.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Heidi
I'm in the market too BikeGeek - I've had those Shimano M220's forever now but I need to replace them. I'm considering the new model since I had SUCH good luck with the old model.

I've always wanted to look into the SIDI's but won't let myself try them on since they are so much $$$.
I picked up the Sidis last night. I got them at REI. Since I'm a member and get the 10% dividend back at the end of the year it's like they were on sale. :rolleyes:

In any case, REI has an awesome return policy. If I don't like the shoes after riding them for a while, I can return them, no problem.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

In any case, REI has an awesome return policy. If I don't like the shoes after riding them for a while, I can return them, no problem.
Now THAT sounds good! Maybe I will swing by tonight.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
I picked up the Sidis last night. I got them at REI. Since I'm a member and get the 10% dividend back at the end of the year it's like they were on sale. :rolleyes:

Return them and get your money back...full price is too much.

Check out www.Totalcycling.com

Dominator 4's for $128 (fluctuates a few dollars with exchange rates)

I ordered the Sidi Energy Road shoes from them a couple months ago, delivery took 4 days, Parcel Post.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Triphop

I ordered the Sidi Energy Road shoes from them a couple months ago, delivery took 4 days, Parcel Post.
They don't have my size in ANY of their shoes!

BASTARDS!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Triphop

And if I ride them for a couple of weeks and decide I really don't like them, will they refund my money?

I don't mind spending that much for good shoes. What I did mind was spending that much and not knowing if I was going to like the shoes.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
And if I ride them for a couple of weeks and decide I really don't like them, will they refund my money?
No they will not, REI is the only company that allows 100% returns . But, you save $50 and chances are you will like them. I have not heard of anyone not liking their Sidis.

but hey, its your feet and your money. :rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I jsut wore out a pair of AXO SPD BMX?DH shoes. The Filter is styled like a Vans type shoe. I sprianed my ankle real bad with a pair of XC racing shoes (really narrow heal pattern) and haven't trusted anything else since.

Pic of AXO filter

2003 Version is the "Launch"

AXO is now going by 661 and I think it is still the Filter shoe. But this year they are mostly all black with some red. I just am tryig to talk myself into getting a new pair of shoes.

I wear my filters all day long while riding and afterwards. nice wide sole, curved for easy walking, with a grippy rubber bottem.

Rhino

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Oooo, If you could have waited another month, REI is having a grand opening at Fair Lakes. Don't know if that's closer to you than Bailey's but I'm gonna hold out for a couple of things until then.

I hope your new shooz do ya' good :)

Cheers,
Kristina

Here's another chime in on the SIDI bandwagon, some caveat and where to find them cheap .

--I rode the hell out of Dominator 1's for seven years, alternating them with some Shimano, Answer and Performance shoes, depending on where, when and what bike. The Dominators outlasted all the other shoes, even though I wore them more and used them harder. It was a no-brainer to go SIDI for my next pair.

--I went too high, and got the SIDI Action SRS shoes, because I found such a good deal. I say "too high", because the SRS (replaceable soles) are designed for fast-twitch, no fat, racer-hammer types like Heidi: the soles are soft, grippy and wear out quickly, especially with a 230lb clyde on them. The Non-replaceable Dom 4's would have been smarter, since the sole compound is much harder. The FIT is as outstanding as any SIDI and absolutely no complaints there.

--Where so cheap? Well oddly enought, the overbidding on eBay didn't seem to affect the SIDI's that were being blown out by a shop in England (still does) and after two weeks of waiting for my size not to be bid upon, I scored a set of the Action SRS for $160 SHIPPED. Usually a lousy place to find screaming MTB deals, eBay is good for SIDI-- I paid less than my buddy's shop does for the shoes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Adding to the mass of endorsements here, I have used Nikes with good success. I have owned 3 pairs of Nike shoes (Air Amasas, Yuha Plus and Ligures). One is a boot-like mountain shoe, one is a mid-level XC shoe and the lattermost is their second-from-the-top carbon soled MTB shoe. All have lasted well without delaminating or hurting my feet. I have tried several other types of shoes but my favorites remain those old Yuhas- they fit so well and were always good. The Ligures are a lot stiffer and lighter, though. I have been using them for XC, CX and road for about 3 months now and I like them a lot.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JRogers
Adding to the mass of endorsements here, I have used Nikes with good success. I have owned 3 pairs of Nike shoes (Air Amasas, Yuha Plus and Ligures). One is a boot-like mountain shoe, one is a mid-level XC shoe and the lattermost is their second-from-the-top carbon soled MTB shoe. All have lasted well without delaminating or hurting my feet. I have tried several other types of shoes but my favorites remain those old Yuhas- they fit so well and were always good. The Ligures are a lot stiffer and lighter, though. I have been using them for XC, CX and road for about 3 months now and I like them a lot.
i think you are the only person i have ever heard say a good word about the new nike mtn bike shoes.......ever.......

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by indieboy
i think you are the only person i have ever heard say a good word about the new nike mtn bike shoes.......ever.......
Really? Hmmm...I don't care much for their running shoes and such but I've had good luck with their cycling stuff. The Ligures aren't the best shoes out there but, for me, they're solid. It probably helps that our Trek rep gave them to me for free:rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Heidi
I got totally lucky on my new Sidi's. Shortly after my old ones died (buckle broke after 5 years), I was about to just suck it up and pay for some new ones... I wandered into Galyan's with some friends for no particular reason, and of course we wandered into the bike section, and lo and behold they had 2 pairs of Dominator 2's there for half price, in my size. Plus, Mtbkngrl had a little coupon thing for $10 off that she didn't need, so I got them for $79. Stupid ass me didn't buy both pairs :rolleyes: I don't know what I was thinking...