Quantcast

Shooters at Exits

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
Went out to 38 today to try to do some riding with my buddy and there were 4-5 different groups of idiots shooting in all different directions. I even saw some some of them carrying TVs to shoot at which I'm assuming they weren't planning on taking out with them. It was so bad that we decided not to ride there, ended backtracking to 27 instead. It was way too ridiculous, I'm surprised they weren't accidentally shooting each other. Anyone else experienced this while trying to ride there?

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I've run into so many morons up there with guns shooting in all directions. I once was hiking up solo to the warm up trail and there was a family parked there at that little gravel pit on the right. It was a Mom, Dad, and two little kids no older than 6 or 7. When I came upon them they were unloading stuff from a cooler and I thought for a second that it was some sort of family picnic. I was pleasant and greeted them thinking it was an innocent family outing. I then noticed that they had some shotguns and were taking large hams out of the cooler to plant against the hillside for that "realistic effect" with the shotgun. I was mortified. Made me sick to my stomach. I've also seen a band of three fools parked at the John Wayne trail next to the gates where everyone parks, with the entire bed covered in handguns and rifles. They wore leather lace up boots to there knees with big trench coats, and were firing at the concrete blocks from the hip no more than 20 ft away from themselves. Wackjobs for sure. We hid behind our trucks until I finally confronted them about the legality of what they were doing and they acted surprised and took off. The stories I tell ya. How about hitting the pallet jump and having a gun go off in midair! I just about shat myself thinking they were aiming at me. I think the best thing is seeing their faces when the sheriff rolls up and gives it to them. I assume the tickets aren't cheap. The key thing is to be really observant when you are up there of other rigs. I've caught a few idiots shooting uphill directly into the warmup trail. I've got so many crazy stories from up there. Great riding though. Love that place.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
I would have tried talking to them if it was just one or two groups of people, but I was not exaggerating when I said there were 4-5, and as we pulled away three more trucks were pulling in that looked like they were shooting idiots too. I hadn't been out there for a good 3 years or so, I was stoked to ride there but now I'm pissed because I didn't get a chance to!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Next time call the sheriff. It's a pretty common practice up there. I've had the sheriff ask if we had seen any shooters around when I was riding up there. So conditions looked decent up there? Thought there was still snow?

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
That's a good call, I just wasn't sure if it was technically legal or not for them to be there. And largextracheese I don't really know my way around that well, I've only been there once three years ago. There was snow a bit of the way up past that last lot, but I don't even know how high the trails start I was just planning on exploring. We didn't get to ride so I don't know about the conditions haha. I'd be down to go in a bigger group though...next Sunday?

Last edited:

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I think shooting from a roadway is about $4-500 last I heard of one being issued while camping at naches.

Always approach with caution, never know who is going to be there or the mood. 99.5% of people may have no idea people area riding in an area close to them and would be more then happy to be aware when approached in a polite manner. And if they are really smart they will respect that plenty of the mtb community have weapons permits and are gun enthusiasts as well. Just all about everyone getting along. Maybe stop and talk to the group next time and let them know where you plan on being and where the trail is. I would hope to God that noone would be the type to WANT to hurt someone (even if they enjoy shooting at random things)

Thanks for the headsup on the situation and keeping others informed. Hopefully we can all be safe!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've only been to 38 a couple times. I think there were shooters there 2 out of the 3 times. Old TVs and all. It was quite a few years ago.

Agreed. They are idiots.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
I've only been to 38 a couple times. I think there were shooters there 2 out of the 3 times. Old TVs and all. It was quite a few years ago.

Agreed. They are idiots.
Keep in mind that *all shooters* are not idiots, just like all "Freeriders" (or whatever) are not idiots. Most are not in both cases.

Shooting TV's is just plain hickish and stupid, although the there are very few places to target practice on the west side of the state. Single shot at the Kenmore range just kind of sucks.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Next time call the sheriff. It's a pretty common practice up there. I've had the sheriff ask if we had seen any shooters around when I was riding up there. So conditions looked decent up there? Thought there was still snow?
If I understand correctly, 38 is under DNR jurisdiction. There are a few people (Kim, and some other guys) who patrol and write tickets for offenses like this. Back in the day, you could shoot up there legally, or at least not enforced. Not any longer. Besides, it is a multi-use area and shooting should be avoided at these locations.

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
If I understand correctly, 38 is under DNR jurisdiction. There are a few people (Kim, and some other guys) who patrol and write tickets for offenses like this. Back in the day, you could shoot up there legally, or at least not enforced. Not any longer. Besides, it is a multi-use area and shooting should be avoided at these locations.
Up higher at 38 i heard there is a legal shooting area.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I always get a kick out of the phrase "gun enthusiast". I grew up in hick country and have shot plenty of guns when I was younger but these days I don't get it. Anyways, take a look at the mess the "enthusiasts" left us up there. All the way up to the first turn off the road has blown up cabinets, computer parts, etc. The bad news is the first turn off to head up to the trails is still snowed in. The trails look clear down low though.
INNOCENT BYSTANDER

Next to the John Wayne trail parking

It's melting fast

Snowed in turn to the trails up higher

Should I try to drive up...of course I should. Didn't work. It's deep.

Need a few more weeks.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
Keep in mind that *all shooters* are not idiots, just like all "Freeriders" (or whatever) are not idiots. Most are not in both cases.

Shooting TV's is just plain hickish and stupid, although the there are very few places to target practice on the west side of the state. Single shot at the Kenmore range just kind of sucks.
I agree not all shooters are idiots, that's why I've decided that next time I'll talk to them about the legality of their actions in a public use area. If they are still dicks, then I will call the sheriff.

But still, it is scary to think that I could be riding down the lower trails while some idiot who wasn't there when I was at the bottom rolls up and shoots back towards the bike trails...