Quantcast

Shooting at Northern Illinois U.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
F, when is this stuff going to stop! :plthumbsdown:

Edit: The media sucks (initially said 18 wounded, now it is at 2. In anycase crappy nonetheless)

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Dated a girl from NIU, I'm sure she's safe. We graduated 20 years ago.

Apparently we need more guns in this country to stop the rash of gun deaths. Let the games begin.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My sister and I are both NIU alums...this sucks...
I went to class in Cole Hall. Dekalb is a great town, I loved it there and have thought about settling in the area when I retire from the AF.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
These shooters always do. Its sick enough to do it in the first place but it just makes it worse that they take themselves out in the end. I would want that person to be tortured. It is situations like that in which I would condone torture.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
So I go to one of the top Criminal Justice Universities in the nation, so many of the campus police (who function as normal peace officers in texas) are in our classes. The ironic thing is they are unable to carry their weapons into the buildings. I think the idea behind not allowing guns onto school premises is a little stupid. They don't check, apparently. I think if we were allowed to carry guns, the people who carry them are, for the most part, trusthworthy. That said, situations like this might just be a little less often if they knew other people were ready to pull a gun on them for doing this sh!t.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
There was a story a while back where someone walked into a church and started to open fire. I think one or two people were hit and then a woman (I believe) stood up and took the gunman out with one shot. She was carrying legally. If concealed carry is illegal then only the people you don't want to have guns, have them. JMO

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
So I go to one of the top Criminal Justice Universities in the nation, so many of the campus police (who function as normal peace officers in texas) are in our classes. The ironic thing is they are unable to carry their weapons into the buildings. I think the idea behind not allowing guns onto school premises is a little stupid.
i agree(somewhat) about it being stupid that people who are actual police officers can't carry guns on campus, but i definitely would not feel comfortable if all of my classmates were always strapped.

the solution is not more guns...

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
i agree(somewhat) about it being stupid that people who are actual police officers can't carry guns on campus, but i definitely would not feel comfortable if all of my classmates were always strapped.

the solution is not more guns...
SO if more honest people can't legally have guns, what is the solution?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
That is my theory.... I can't ever see myself carrying, but I do not have a problem if people do. I say that there needs to be tons of classes and requirements to be allowed to carry, but that you should be able to. The criminals don't care what rules there are. Maybe they would think twice if they didn't know who was carrying?? It's a chicken and egg situation almost....

Monkey
That is my theory.... I can't ever see myself carrying, but I do not have a problem if people do. I say that there needs to be tons of classes and requirements to be allowed to carry, but that you should be able to. The criminals don't care what rules there are. Maybe they would think twice if they didn't know who was carrying?? It's a chicken and egg situation almost....
I don't either. Most carry permits are pretty demanding in background checks and such.

But hey, since it's after a tragedy, let's just get together, sing kumbaya and ban them all, like the effect the war on drugs has on narcotics in this country.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I work in the Admissions office at a University. This kind of stuff is a little unnerving.

At the beginning of the school year some retard thought he was making a profound "social commentary" by writing "Remember V-Tech?" on a movie poster for Shoot 'Em Up. Campus police were freaking and so were the ladies in my office since it was in written in the common area in front of our office. Then there were reports about a guy pointing a rifle towards campus this past January. Nothing came of it that I'm aware of.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
nearly all of these kid shooters have made reference to paying tribute to a previous shooter or "being famous" in some way or another. they know that just talking about bringing a gun to school will probably make the news so perhaps we need to find a way to minimalize the media coverage of these incidents and try to avoid making a cult hero out of the shooter.
that's nearly impossible to do but the "blaze of glory" media coverage is one of the reasons these kids go out like this.

also, as far as carrying concealed on schools. if you study some of the public shootings in recent years you will find several that involved either an off-duty police officer or honest citizen who was armed. once that armed person came into play, the bad guy stopped shooting innocent people and was forced to turn his aggression toward the armed threat opposing him.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/13/national/main2466711.shtml

so maybe the resolution shouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction for either the pro or anti gun nuts but instead, something that makes sense.
i KNOW there are several teachers at each of the schools i work with that are more than willing and capable to carry concealed so why not let them. if an incident happens they will be able to at least draw the shooters attention away from innocent kids long enough for the calvary to arrive with bigger guns and more training.
i agree with what jaydee is implying. more guns isn't necessarily a good thing but a few guns in the hands of a few well-trained individuals is very effective. i mean, can you imagine the carnage of a bunch of college kids all carrying concealed because they were scared of an attack so that when one actually occurs they freak out from lack of training and start hitting each other in the crossfire?...that would be the suck.