Quantcast

shooz

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
I wasn't sure which forum to post this to, but I figured "technology" was about the closest. I've just messed up my ankle but good, and now I am looking to buy cycling shoes with ankle protection for next season. I don't really want to buy DH shoes, 'cause I only ride XC. Anyone know of a hightop XC shoe? BTW, I also have a very wide foot. Any help appreciated!

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I can't think of the brand off the top of my head...but I've seen a hi-top XC shoe at a couple stores within the past month. I know I saw 'em at REI and I think I saw 'em at Performance Bike (see the add in the upper right corner).
I think they were about $150. Sorry this is so vague...but I know that they're out there.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Fox make some ankle guards too. You won't find any high top xc shoes because they don't exist. You will find high top winter shoes though and dh shoes too. Excellent in winter but too hot in summer.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
What kind of injury Did you sustain to your ankle :confused: ,The fox ankle guards seem pretty good ,but if you need frontal peotection you might need to make your own BTW SIDI used to make agreat ankle high shoe but no longer make them :) Good Luck

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
I've got good news for you. You don't need high tops for ankle protection. There's a common mispreception that wearing high tops shoes prevents ankle injuries. Maybe a little, but not nearly as much as supporting the foot properly will.

Go to a high end hiking store and find some green Superfeet insoles. They run about $30. Trim them down to fit in your regular cycling shoes and you're done.

They work by providing a platform that prevents over pronation (colapse of the arch.) When your foot pronates it fatiques muscles in the foot and ankle that try to stabilize it. When your footing becomes compramised (and your ankle starts to role) your muscles are to tired to correct. Its kinda like trying to do a squat after a 10 mile run. By immobilizing your arch, and the foundation of your walking and pedaling, you will have a more powerful and comforatble pedal, and that little extra you need to prevent ankle roles.

I promise this works. I have extremely weak ankles and I use these inserts in my shoes. They work so well.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
That's true. High tops do very little to prevent twisting injuries and the like but they do provide padding for blows. So if you're protecting from twisting you need a stable shoe. If you need protection from whacks you need padding.

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'd have to disagree with the last couple. And please don't take my tone as argumentative or my words as ungrateful for your suggestions.

Yes, a solid, supportive footbed may prevent some injuries where the foot was fatigued more than it might have been otherwise. But my injury was a third-degree sprain (a complete snap of the tendon or something, my doctor says) which occurred when I stepped off the bike (yes, stepped off, not fell off) onto what I thought was solid ground. Only it was a hole about a foot deep covered with leaves. My right foot, the first I put down, slid down the left slope of the hole, and as it struck the solid bottom the foot turned in since it was already at such an angle. Now, perhaps high tops would not have stopped that, but perhaps they would have, or more likely, they would have made it less severe. But I do know that an "unfatigued" foot with a great footbed would not have had the strength to do anything at all, since I'd only been riding about 15 minutes, and had up until then been putting in three-hour rides several times a week.

Further, if high-tops don't do anything to prevent twisted ankle-related injuries, then there' no reason that shoes for firemen, military, hiking, mountaineering, motorcycle, even basketball, would ever need to be high-top. I do know that hightops have helped prevent and/or lessen twist injuries in my own hiking missteps/injuries of the past. Yes, hightops won't afford absolute protection, but then, very little in this world does.

Finally, a month after my accident, and four days after having the cast removed, I am again walking to work here in New York -- and wearing my hiking boots, which again, just today, have helped save my very weak, stiff and vulnerable ankle from twisting beyond its vastly diminished capacity, on simple, relatively safe, uneven sidewalks.

Once I am able to ride again, I want to give my ankle whatever protection I can.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Ouch. I feel for you. I don't take any offence either this is discussion eh. Hiking and mountaineering boots and motocross boots are way stiffer than anything you can get for a bike shoe. They would provide twist resistance for sure. Not so sure that basketball shoes would do much but that is the reason they're worn. I used to work for Brooks Running shoes a long time ago and the experts there suggested that high top basketball shoes offered minimal help. No one wears them for squash or tennis.

Maybe it might be an idea to use flat platforms with light hiking boots until your better? Can you fit an air cast in the bad side? Or maybe just tape it up.

G

Gutty

I used to have a bad ankle from football, when i would ride jumps and stuff i would always roll my ankle. Went and saw my footy coach, he showed me how to strap my ankle properly. I havn't rooled it once since and i ride flats in Reef skate shoes. Try strapping it. i'm 99% sure it will help your problem.