Quantcast

Shopping for a slopestyle setup: any reason to NOT get a Spec SX?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The newer ones are pretty sick. I've ridden one and really liked it. Seems to be the lowest BB of any of the semi-contenders I'm looking at. Any reason to go with something else?

Other ones I'm looking at:

Tranny double: new ones look good, like the angles, no real advantage over the SX though

Blackmarket Killswitch: Like the concentric BB, not so hot on the head angle

Kona Bass: same as the killswitch

Any input?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The newer ones are pretty sick. I've ridden one and really liked it. Seems to be the lowest BB of any of the semi-contenders I'm looking at. Any reason to go with something else?

Other ones I'm looking at:

Tranny double: new ones look good, like the angles, no real advantage over the SX though

Blackmarket Killswitch: Like the concentric BB, not so hot on the head angle

Kona Bass: same as the killswitch

Any input?
SX isn't really in the same class as the others you mention...
SX is more travel, more "mountain" bike. The others lean more towards slopestyle/dirt jump.
You should first determine where you want this bike to fit in the grand scheme of things.... If you're hitting steeper jumps more, and rough trails less, go for the short travel/concentric style bike, if you're hitting more trails and less jumps go the SX route.
I recently picked up a Norco Empire, it's amazing. It fits between the sx and the bass/killswitch type setups. You can hit steep jumps, and flow trails, and the thing only weighs 33.5 lbs.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I am behind.... That thing looks pretty sweet. Tough choice, but if the geo seems to be closer to what you want, I'd say go for it. The concentric frames would be nice for SS, but you could always run a tensioner. I had a Paul on my Session 77, and it worked great.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
new paintjob on the SX is pretty nice. much better than the previous years.
did they change the frame from the other years?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if they havent changed much, then it is a super fun bike. it was on the top of my list of a DS/DJ bike last year before i got my hardtail:banghead:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You act like those are mutually exclusive or something.

My hardtail ain't going nowhere.
mutually exclusive?
i thought i wanted a hardtail and got it to keep the cost down. but not riding it, i realized when i havent had one in 14 years....so i digress. i should have gotten the SX

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Woo,
Get the short one. The wheelbase on those things are long. The long size feels more like a trail bike. Those frames are stout and strong now.
I did the opposite of IH8Rice. I had the older version of the SX that I did not ride that much as a play bike. But since I built up my slalom hardtail, I ride it a good bit, mostly because of the pump track in my woods. : )

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
sorry, thankfully most parts will fit on whatever AM bike im getting.
i do have a Transition Bank for sale :)
What size, and how much?

To not totally derail the thread, I'm with w00dy on the concentric bikes. Seriously, they're terrible in that regard. Even for A DJ bike it would drive me nuts.