djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I would say that it depends on how tall you are... :D then for a trail bike, a shorter reach, compared to the latest "fashion", makes perfect sense to me since you are not racing and thus can trade some of the high speed stability and some of the required high level of body English for a more nimble and more playful ride.
That's from my personal experience between bikes with 440mm reach and 475mm. I am 5'9 (175cm)
YMMV
That's fair, although I will offer that 175 mm and 200 mm dropper posts can make even a "big" bike feel pretty spacy in terms of fore & aft butt shifting. And even tho the only race I compete in these days is sprinting for my post coffee deposition in the morning, I still like moar reach when I'm smashing the gnar (albeit at 13% the pace of Remi Thirion)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have mentioned this before, but I am 5’ 8”, but I have a 33” or so inseam, but really short arms. Really long reach doesn’t work for me. I prefer under 440mm these days.
And yes, I mixed imperial and metric, bitches.
I also am looking for under 65 degree HTA, as far as wheelbase, I don’t even know anymore, everything is changing so rapidly. Having two wheelbase options would be pretty sweet. I like a shorter CS in order to get the front end up easier with my own weird geometry.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does HTA really make that much difference? Obviously from 70, to 65 to 60, but a degree or two? Is it more of a crutch for people to feel "confident", like plus tires, or does it really make the riding better all around?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well, when I went from 120mm to 140mm on the front of my SB100, it turned a bike that had amazing handling into shit. But 130mm was the sweet spot. Granted, that is on an already fairly steep HT, 67 or 67.5, IIRC.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
A riding buddy of mine has a Fuel EX. He loves the bike but he complains quite a bit about the reaktiv shock... he put a RS coil on it just long enough to realise that the coil was touching the seat tube. A Fox damper and coil might solve that since the combo should have a smaller outer diameter. Not confirmed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not really on topic but I like this vid of Nicole, her Process134 and her role at Kona.
Nice to see the people at the production side of Kona and not just a bunch of whities pretending to be the apple of the bike world, we know Asian people make our bikes and they are doing the leg work so I wanna see if they get to ride what they build.
The handlebar width annoyed the shit outta me, feckin' huge!

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Niner Rip9
Mediums a 440 reach
140mm travel (5m more than you wanted but thats close)
75.8 seat tube.

I've got the previous model Rip9 (The 150mm travel one)
Love this thing to bits!
That CVA suspension is amazing, never found anything else as good other than the Zerode (but fuck gripshifting and I prefer to have as my personal ride brands that I can sell in my shop).
Rip9 like the Kona Process has massively over sized bearings that live forever, Downside to that is that as the bearings are so tough all the forces that come thru the frame then move onto the next weakpoint which is the shock hardwear.
But that's alright because it's cheaper than bearings and way easier to swap out than bearings.
In 4 years I've done 4 the shock hardwear 4 times and only changed the main bearings once.... have yet to need to touch the other bearings.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, when I went from 120mm to 140mm on the front of my SB100, it turned a bike that had amazing handling into shit. But 130mm was the sweet spot. Granted, that is on an already fairly steep HT, 67 or 67.5, IIRC.
I've learned recently that there's so much more that goes into your geometry when you fuck with fork length. I had a 150mm fox 36 on the front of my BMC, but hated the long travel for our tight trails. I dropped the fork to 130, which is where i used to run it before getting this frame. Steepened the HA maybe 1*, lengthened the reach by about an inch, dropped the BB just a hair. It turned my pinkbike enduro barcalounger into the trail ripper that it should be. I could deal with a slacker head angle, but the increased reach, lower front end, and reduced travel are so much more important (for me) from a handling standpoint.

Good luck on your quest. Looks like there are plenty of options out there- 120-140mm 29ers are the future.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just tried to get one of these HAHAHAHA...they are so far out right now.
how far out are we talking? i'm looking into a new bike for my son, some stuff isn't going to be available for quite some time. my top choice was a commencal ramones 24, but those aren't expected until May at the earliest

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
As I said it the OP, if you want a bike for ‘22, order now.
it’s that bad.
I have a perfectly good ‘20 Rocky Instinct (now 140/140), but I am looking for something a pound or two lighter for climbing/front country ‘groomed’ trails.

in other words, looking for something with a different ‘personality’ than the Altitude.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A riding buddy of mine has a Fuel EX. He loves the bike but he complains quite a bit about the reaktiv shock... he put a RS coil on it just long enough to realise that the coil was touching the seat tube. A Fox damper and coil might solve that since the combo should have a smaller outer diameter. Not confirmed.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In a way this might be a benefit, I was a little leery of the ride review. I could alway get a DPX2 and get it tuned properly somehow.
(if I were to follow through on the Trek. )
I wish the Revel had a steeper seat tube (but I know that might just be trendy )

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In a way this might be a benefit, I was a little leery of the ride review. I could alway get a DPX2 and get it tuned properly somehow.
(if I were to follow through on the Trek. )
I wish the Revel had a steeper seat tube (but I know that might just be trendy )
The DPX2 is one of the shocks that is not recommended by many of the tuners due to funky internal design where compression and rebound affect each other significantly. Monarch+ tuned by Vorsprung or something if you are looking at the DPX. You'd probably be better off with a '21 float dhx X2 if it fits, but Trek is far more interested in selling shit and less that a few riders actually know good suspension.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
how far out are we talking? i'm looking into a new bike for my son, some stuff isn't going to be available for quite some time. my top choice was a commencal ramones 24, but those aren't expected until May at the earliest
It's real bad from what I am hearing, fall for a spur, much later for other brands. I have some friends who have tried to help and the effort is futile in many ways. The spur is probably one of the most popular bikes this year so that thing is dead till 2022.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

I got the metal version for $1K BTW... Its seat tube isn't steep or slack and sits at 76. It is $1K off, can fit full-size bottle and mounts 2.6 Monster Truck tires. Also has 135mm Native mine is at 150mm travel now.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 5.06.38 AM.png

Last edited: