Quantcast

Short cage rear derailuer work with 11-32 cassette?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm wanting to put my LX 11-32 cassette on my new bike but I'd like to run a short cage derailuer in the rear since they are cheaper than a XT and I don't want a closeout long cage. I'm planning on running LX shifters, roadie rear 105 short cage derailuer, and either a 22/36 doube front chainring OR a single 36t or 38t ring up front.

Just wondering if the short cage road derailuers will work because on all of them it says max tooth in the rear 27, and I'd be pushing that up with a 32 so I want to make sure it'll work before buying parts.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I run an 11-32 and the shortest cage Dura-Ace on two of my bikes.

Works flawlessly with a single ring, but a 22-36 might be too big of a spread to work with the 105. Also, it would make a difference as to if it's going onto a hardtail or dually, as you then have chain growth to deal with.

Try it, and let us know!

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
It works, but I dont recomend it. I have a 105(SS) and a 11-32 cassette.
The 105 gets "up" there, but the upper jockey wheel touches the cassete(with the chain in the middle, obvious). It runs, but it looks strange and I never use the 32.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
It's going on a hardtail. I figured that on a dual ring a mid cage is probably what is needed. No biggy though, just gotta figure out if I want to run dual chainrings or single chainring.

Thanks for the input guys, now I just have some decesions to make :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Chris, on any Shimano derailleur you can easily swap the cage. Buy the XT long-cage on closeout and then swap a mid-cage onto it from an old derailleur you have lying around. I have made many Deore short-cage derailleurs this way over the years. You can also buy cages new from any shop if you haven't got any laying around. They are only about $20 or so for the set of inner and outer plates. That;s how I made my Saint a mid-cage instead of short-cage.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
punkassean said:
Chris, on any Shimano derailleur you can easily swap the cage. Buy the XT long-cage on closeout and then swap a mid-cage onto it from an old derailleur you have lying around. I have made many Deore short-cage derailleurs this way over the years. You can also buy cages new from any shop if you haven't got any laying around. They are only about $20 or so for the set of inner and outer plates. That;s how I made my Saint a mid-cage instead of short-cage.
I'm using a Deore derailleur with a Tiagra short cage for a year. It works perfect in a XT 11-32 cogset

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
punkassean said:
on any Shimano derailleur you can easily swap the cage.
Are you sure about this? I also thought so until a few days ago. I have an older XT (I think 756 series) that I wanted to put a mid cage on. Both derailleurs are lacking the allen head to remove the cage. It looks like it is permanently attached to the body.