Quantcast

Short Crank Curious…

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
he loves them
Is this a genuine thing now?
Most kids tend not to even notice nevermind deliberate over 5mm here and there. But their bike nerd dad's sure do like to over compensate for them. (We're all guilty of it)

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
These arrived in the mail today! Ironically it took less time to get these from China than the headset I ordered from the UK.
20230217_182655.jpg

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Nice but "Tighten to 9-9 N-W" ...what does that mean ? Newton-Watts ? 9-9 = 0, so 0 Newton Watts = no tightening? Floating ring ?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I rarely use torque wrench anyhow :brows:
Beside this is going on my son's bike and will be perfect for a 12 year old. Seasoned veterans like us may think less of it for their personal use, off course!

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I rarely use torque wrench anyhow :brows:
Beside this is going on my son's bike and will be perfect for a 12 year old. Seasoned veterans like us may think less of it for their personal use, off course!
12 yr old son of a buddy sends 15m tables in Schladming. I would definitely care about the right ugga duggas on my boys bike when he is going to do something like this.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
12 yr old son of a buddy sends 15m tables in Schladming. I would definitely care about the right ugga duggas on my boys bike when he is going to do something like this.
Sure, I still have a more than enough safety margin until he is at that level. Thanks for your concern :cheers: :D

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I can’t remember what thread I saw it in, but someone was looking for Shimano 165 cranks. I found some SLX at Fanatik Bike. I scooped up a pair. Not sure how many they have left.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I can’t remember what thread I saw it in, but someone was looking for Shimano 165 cranks. I found some SLX at Fanatik Bike. I scooped up a pair. Not sure how many they have left.
Which ones did you get?

I looked at them earlier this week and they were out, looked just now and still out. Unless I want to blow my wad on XTR cranks. :brows:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This place in Sedona has two 165mm SLX cranks.....but no shipping to Canada (on anything) sad face

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This place in Sedona has two 165mm SLX cranks.....but no shipping to Canada (on anything) sad face

That shop had stock of drivetrain components back when chains were hens teeth without price gouging and seems to accidentally forget WA state sales tax.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
@canadmos Free shipping to Blaine, WA, which is a 10 minute diversion on my way home from work. Would happily pick them up for you, drive them across the border, and forward to you.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

That shop had stock of drivetrain components back when chains were hens teeth without price gouging and seems to accidentally forget WA state sales tax.
Yep and they had free shipping and 10% off code at the same time too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@canadmos Free shipping to Blaine, WA, which is a 10 minute diversion on my way home from work. Would happily pick them up for you, drive them across the border, and forward to you.
Oh man thank you for the offer! Unfortunately they won't/can't charge to a Canadian card or billing address either.

Oh well, not a huge deal. I can't wait.

Side story, I was actually reading about Blaine last night, in particular the park on the border. And all the boinging that went on at the start of the pandemic. :rofl:

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Oh man thank you for the offer! Unfortunately they won't/can't charge to a Canadian card or billing address either.

Oh well, not a huge deal. I can't wait.

Side story, I was actually reading about Blaine last night, in particular the park on the border. And all the boinging that went on at the start of the pandemic. :rofl:
Did you try paying with PayPal? I tried selecting PayPal, then entered my Canadian address for billing, but did not want to press the complete order button. Will try if you say ok

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did you try paying with PayPal? I tried selecting PayPal, then entered my Canadian address for billing, but did not want to press the complete order button. Will try if you say ok
Yeah I clicked PayPal check out and defaulted to saying that it wouldn't complete because of the address.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
do you have a ride report for these? I'm trying to get my son to fit on a slightly too large bike. It has 170mm cranks on it now, and the first thing he said when he tried riding it was "the pedals are too long"...
Yes I have.

On the plus side
+ it's short
+ it's cheap

On the minus side
- My son managed to bend a crank arm from its 50kg. I straightened it back, it was difficult!
- the spline is a few millimetres too long, I fixed that with a washer from an old Sram gxp bb
- the thread for the pedals needed to be re-threaded
- the direct mount pattern looks like sram's but I couldn't fit a sram chainring

If you are located in North America, trailcraft seems to be an alternative.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yes I have.

On the plus side
+ it's short
+ it's cheap

On the minus side
- My son managed to bend a crank arm from its 50kg. I straightened it back, it was difficult!
- the spline is a few millimetres too long, I fixed that with a washer from an old Sram gxp bb
- the thread for the pedals needed to be re-threaded
- the direct mount pattern looks like sram's but I couldn't fit a sram chainring

If you are located in North America, trailcraft seems to be an alternative.
damn... what sort of riding were you doing? My son isn't near 50kg, more like 27... and not riding hard at all. yet. but he could very well be on this bike for three years.

thanks for the heads up on the Trailcraft. I'm in Canada, I'll have a look at see.