UK
Shimano was already making 160mm cranks way before all this bleating

Just not yet for mtb. You could always do a "Vouilloz" n fit Ultegras/105s

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or just have a throttle and no bicycle bullshit at all.
Seems where you're aiming. And luckily for you it is already an option.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Good video on this topic, I've ridden w/ Jeff a few times, nice guy...That said after hearing his comments I def would not want to run these for trail riding etc. I probably will go 155 or 150 on my DH bike relatively soon.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Curiosity and boredom got the better of me so I just watched the JKW video above.
I really can't work out if his video is for complete beginners or complete morons as I honestly find it difficult to believe anyone who's ridden a variety of bikes over multiple decades wouldn't already know every single completely fucking obvoius point he made.
I mean seriously. You have 10s of thousands of dollars worth of bicycle related purchases under your belt and you're telling me you STILL didn't understand how gearing or leverage or COG or timing work until you watched a fucking Youtube video?
WTAF?

Ps. "Orange n Maple Leaf Supliments" to do a 2hr bike ride? Fuck off Son!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I know it’s kinda off topic, but I’m wondering if any taller guys have had luck with sub-165s on trail bikes or other bikes that you do a significant amount of climbing on. I’m 6’ w/34” leg.
I have some chronic knee issues that could perhaps be helped by pedaling smaller circles. (Pedal strikes on technical climbs are not why I’m interested.)

I’m wholly ignorant of the road bike world but have seen some articles that indicate that short cranks are being experimented with in that sphere too. https://road.cc/content/feature/are-shorter-cranks-better-your-bike-295963

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
been riding 165s on my roadbike for nearly 10 years for that very reason.
Defo wouldn't want to go any shorter though. similar height/inseam to you.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I know it’s kinda off topic, but I’m wondering if any taller guys have had luck with sub-165s on trail bikes or other bikes that you do a significant amount of climbing on. I’m 6’ w/34” leg.
I have some chronic knee issues that could perhaps be helped by pedaling smaller circles. (Pedal strikes on technical climbs are not why I’m interested.)

I’m wholly ignorant of the road bike world but have seen some articles that indicate that short cranks are being experimented with in that sphere too. https://road.cc/content/feature/are-shorter-cranks-better-your-bike-295963
I'm at 170 now on most of my pedaled MTB's and just shortened my roadie to 172.5 versus the 175 I was always on for everything.

6'2" and 35".

You should give the 165's a try, pick up a cheap set from CL or eBay then go fancy later if you feel the need.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

I had 155 on the last dh bike and loved it . Doing 160 on Enduro bike, I clipped a crap ton on compression and rocks on slash...they are 170...

Going back to 155 on new DH bike, putting the session on wall for a bit while I run new sled (be here this week) but 155mm for it...even pedalling that sled around my knees pop alot less and less strain on inside of knee cap compared to the old cranks..same here 34" inseam 6'3...so not quite all legs like you lol...but I have +3 reach...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Doing 160 on Enduro bike, I clipped a crap ton on compression and rocks on slash...they are 170...
My current bike had 170s originally, bur the previous owner who was more XC oriented switched them for 175s and I can't help but curse the guy at least once a ride because of this. Thinking about going 165, but I can't find anything shorter than 170 here in Argentina.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My current bike had 170s originally, bur the previous owner who was more XC oriented switched them for 175s and I can't help but curse the guy at least once a ride because of this. Thinking about going 165, but I can't find anything shorter than 170 here in Argentina.
Canfield is pretty easy to order from, Chris and I loved middleburn rs7 cranks and bugged Lance..he finally came out with em...but wat better designs and small details...I'm ordering them for my bikes and dumping my current crop...

It does help , my knees are worked and have a pretty bad tear in miniscus...gets stronger with running and training but pedalling agitates it...shorter cranks gives me alot less of a knife to kneecap feeling...

165mm is a good length, I prefer shorter and feel more centered for jumping and throwing weight..less pedal strikes and pedal out of a nastier section easier...

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Canfield is pretty easy to order from, Chris and I loved middleburn rs7 cranks and bugged Lance..he finally came out with em.
Appreciate the recommendation, but given our country is two weeks away from becoming Gilead I'm still on the fence about paying anything in a foreign currency. The current madman in charge devaluated 54% our peso against the US dollar the next day he put his psychotic ass on the presidential chair :panic:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Appreciate the recommendation, but given our country is two weeks away from becoming Gilead I'm still on the fence about paying anything in a foreign currency. The current madman in charge devaluated 54% our peso against the US dollar the next day he put his psychotic ass on the presidential chair :panic:
Damn ..sorry to hear about that...we are all getting ass sore with Gavin newsomes hand up our asses and in our wallets...can't imagine that though...
At least your guy does it to your face, ours is trying a statewide reach around and sweat talking us..

I don't have any 165 laying around or I'd send you a set...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Another thing wrong with the industry is they decided to drop the BBs, without specing the necessary cranks. 160--165 shouldn't be a special length, they should have been producing these for years now, coming standard on the bikes for years, the 175 would be a "limited quantity-special run" aftermarket size. Shitmano, sRAM and Race McFacey cranks should be chastised for this to no end.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Another thing wrong with the industry is they decided to drop the BBs, without specing the necessary cranks. 160--165 shouldn't be a special length, they should have been producing these for years now, coming standard on the bikes for years, the 175 would be a "limited quantity-special run" aftermarket size. Shitmano, sRAM and Race McFacey cranks should be chastised for this to no end.
Component manufactures don't pick what components go on OEM bikes.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
no 165 slx available? they are quite affordable

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you're looking, remember Deore and XT are also available in 165.
Our Shimano distributor is huge but rarely has very many 165mm mtb cranksets in stock.
(Only XT just now).
Road just got 160 for 105/Ultegra/DuraAce for 12 speed

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nah, the local "distributor" brings only XCish lengths. I have been able to find only 172.5 and 175 so far. I'll keep looking.
Find their number and yell at them. 175 isn't an XC length anymore.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
May as well just dial any number and shout at the random person who answers. Preferably in a language they don't understand.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
May as well just dial any number and shout at the random person who answers. Preferably in a language they don't understand.
As long as they understand "Crank length", the rest doesn't need to be precise.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Meanwhile roadies are currently discussing their latest tech breakthrough. tubeless tyre inserts