Quantcast

Short Crank Curious…

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It’s either that, or she doesn’t ride up at all!
I was swearing at my bike tonight, it's 34 up front and at the moment first is 32t out back, at my current level of fatness it's pretty brutal on pinch climbs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
30t is the smallest chainring. (I think?) Wifey will want a 28, at least.
The Hope’s we’re just announced, so basically still vapore-ware.
28tooth

Ethirteens website is garbage, hard to tell if the interface is the same as Raceface's or their own proprietary pattern.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
People are REALLY running 28t chainrings with 52t sprockets?
Are these by any chance the same people so adverse to owning an Ebike they have to be vocal about it?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
e*thirteen TRS+ 9 x 46 tooth 11-speed cassettes have worked very well for me...
Hmmm... Yeah because we were all crying out for a two part cassette requiring two chain whips to disassemble before undoing the tiny grub screw that holds the entire thing on the Freehub body. Not to mention a stupid 9t sprocket which has less than 4 teeth engaging with the chain while in use meaning once worn chain slip becomes a thing in a fraction of the time it would with an 11t

Hmmm... Yeah because we were all crying out for a two part cassette requiring two chain whips to disassemble before undoing the tiny grub screw that holds the entire thing on the Freehub body. Not to mention a stupid 9t sprocket which has less than 4 teeth engaging with the chain while in use meaning once worn chain slip becomes a thing in a fraction of the time it would with an 11t
More like we all wind up whining about other's choices in equipment. And yeah, the two whips thing is a minor PITA.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've recently noticed a trend of e-bikers coming up to me and giving me unsolicited "advice" on what bike to buy and what trails to ride. Innevitably they suggest an e-bike and to ride dumb flow trails. Then they complain about bumps.
tell them to follow you and you are going to show them a secret trial. take them down the hardest trail available.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh yeah its Friday night, Gary has tipped into the bevvies again. Let the yelling at clouds posts begin!

Is Norbar awake yet?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Where I live, a typical climb is about 3 miles and rises about 1000 feet. You can check my maths, but that's like 6-7% gradient on the average. Would be nice if it was consistent, but there are sections that are straight up. Other's that are flat. And if you're not on teh fitness regime, it sucks. So yeah, 28/52 it is. Unless you want to use your $7K bike as a walking stick. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Where I live, a typical climb is about 3 miles and rises about 1000 feet. You can check my maths, but that's like 6-7% gradient on the average. Would be nice if it was consistent, but there are sections that are straight up. Other's that are flat. And if you're not on teh fitness regime, it sucks. So yeah, 28/52 it is. Unless you want to use your $7K bike as a walking stick. :)
that kind of climb sounds like a good way to work on teh fitness regime.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
e*thirteen TRS+ 9 x 46 tooth 11-speed cassettes

e*thirteen TRS+ 9 x 46 tooth 11-speed cassettes have worked very well for me...
Yeah, I have two on two different bikes and they just work. No complaints. I've never had a big issue with any of their stuff, BBs, guides, these cassettes, possibly a few other parts over the years.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
More like we all wind up whining about other's choices in equipment.
I'm not moaning about your choice. (or anyone else's for that matter) It just so happens that I've replaced more shitty, broken or worn out sub par E13 parts on other people's bikes than most. Very few were actually chosen by them at all as tons of E13 shite comes OEM on so many brands completes. But even if the punter had bought them I wouldn't be moaning about their naive uninformed choice. They weren't to know the parts were designed and manufactured poorly by an incompitent company. The one saving grace of E13 is their fairly good customer service. But when they send out replacement parts with exactly the same issues its kinda futile dealing with them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Climbs in the most popular mtb spots closest to me are of similar elevation and distance and also have a wide mix of surface and gradient (everything from mellow smooth fire road to steep wet rooty/rocky).
Ive said this before. But I genuinely would rather use my bike as a walking stick than pedal a tiny tiny gear at walking pace.

Have you considered longer cranks? :brows:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Super interesting. Remind me where you live? I really think elevation matters quite a bit on this. Is this co front range? Or high country.

Def not trying to make a dick swinging content, just curious about what folks run.

out here (Sandy, ut), we usually climb 2400 vert laps @ 7.5mi ride distance per lap (4.5mi up, 3mi down). But it’s fairly low (most rides range from 7k-11k, usually 10k or lower top out) compared to many Colorado rides.

I just switched from 11 speed (32 x 11-46) to 12 speed (32 x 10-51) on my bikes, and was super stoked at how much less demanding the hardest and most technical sections of climbing became by adding essentially 1 more shift easier if a gearing.

I would imagine 28t front is about 1 more shift, so I would guess folks running this are riding looser or more chunky trails than me?

fair assessment? And curious how the short crank folks fit into all this, as next drivetrain im likely to try some 165’s on the big bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Our climbs might be short here, but some are steep as balls.

The big granny gear definitely makes it easier hauling beer(s) to the top of a hill.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Your e-bike doesn't have a walking mode? :busted:
Walk mode on Eeb's is pretty useless. It just spins the chainring at a fairly low rpm so it can't be used to ride with without pedalling. Gearing generally has to be mid cassette for walking pace and changed for any steeper gradients you're hiking up making it a PITA to use in reality. So I don't ever bother. There's very little it can't just be ridden up anyway.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Local climbs by my house are 650ft per 1 mile, usually with no shade and high heat. I run 170mm x 29" x 30t x51. I can get away with a 32t, but it limits how long I can ride in the summer before my quads start to cramp.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think I'd fall over with 28-52, that would be insanely slow.

I don't map any of my rides, do Stavas or have an issue with walking up hills so my new bike is 34 11-34 with an 11 sp road cassette. I'd rather have nice close ratios rather than waiting for the bike to slow down so I can pedal the next one, fuck that!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You must have old, short mountains at low elevation. :D
Hills son!

There's no mountains or anything that anyone should call a mountain within like a 5 hour radius of here.

Unless you want to call some billion years old rounded rocks a former mountain. :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A pylon?

Jordie might have considered attempting it.
RIP

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I doubt it, looks like that's out in bog country.

This is another similar and kind of close to that one, Silver Peak. Would probably be some good riding, but it's out there and you have to portage by canoe to get there. The riding would be gnarly as heck in spots.

But I'd still call these hills. :D

The Niagara Escarpment is a cool spot though. Insanely long ridge, which has some riding on it and it runs from New York near Niagara Falls all the way up through Ontario and over to Minnesota. Some spots it offers almost 300m of drop and it's steep.

This trail is the biggest descent that I know of around here or south western Ontario. Just over a mile and 820 feet down. The top portion is pretty flat though, so really it's the second half of the trail where you drop. I'd pay to see someone try to climb it on a bike. :D

Shits & Giggles (Green Trail) on Trailforks

It ain't great, but it's better than Nebraska. :)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have done some great escarpment riding near Sudbury (I think?), was supposedly where they did some lunar surface training for NASA. Does that sound familiar? Was really fun, Moab-ish in spots.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have done some great escarpment riding near Sudbury (I think?), was supposedly where they did some lunar surface training for NASA. Does that sound familiar? Was really fun, Moab-ish in spots.
Oh yeah forgot you mentioned previously that you've been there. It's an interesting spot and yeah some of it is barren, or was, from the mines killing everything. Lots of rock slabs..