Quantcast

Short fork steerer?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Hey guys (and girls)

The steerer on my Fox is just a slight bit too short for when it goes on my new frame.

I'm currently using an A-Headset on a headtube that's the same height as the current hardtail one. The bottom bolt of the stem grabs the steerer fine, but the top one is about half on and half off the steerer.

Are there any headsets with lower stack height or any other way to bring the headtube down a bit? Is it acceptable the way it is?
Thanks

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
what kind of stem are you using? if you dont mind the weight and the ability to only be able to run a 50mm stem i would go with a sic stem. they have a super low stack height.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think Kings have pretty low stack height. But it sounds like your setup is off by enough that a lower stack height won't fix the problem. If you want to do it right you should send the fork back to Fox and have them install a new steerer. Shouldn't be too outrageously expensive, although I have to admit I've never checked into how much it would cost.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
robdamanii said:
Are there any headsets with lower stack height or any other way to bring the headtube down a bit? Is it acceptable the way it is?
Thanks
I wouldn't ride it that way.
Ritchey Headsets have nice low stack heights - between 27 & 29mm, depending on the model.
A King is 31.4

What model Aheadset do you have, so we can tell how much height you need to save.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That SIC Slam X Stem might do the trick for you and it comes in an 85mm length I think too.

Damn that sucks about the steerer tube length of the fork? Was it on your old frame? If so and the headtubes are the same size on your old and new frame, why not use the same headset that was on your old one - wouldn't that solve the problem?

J

JRB

Thomson stems are fairly short, and Cane Creek S2s are short. As are WTB headsets. I would get an S2 and save money. Kings are actually pretty damn tall for stack height.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The cane creek S-2 is pretty short, another to consider would be the raceface Deus-XC real seal, but I think the S-2 is shorter and cheaper.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Thanks for the info folks.

Not sure which A-Headset I'm working with, I know it's the stock one that came on my Trek 4500.

I need maybe between 1/4" and 3/16" lower stack height to get the stem completely on the steerer. I'm thinking it may indeed be possible to get that out of a new headset and stem.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
gnurider1080 said:
what kind of stem are you using? if you dont mind the weight and the ability to only be able to run a 50mm stem i would go with a sic stem. they have a super low stack height.
Where the hell can you get one? I can't find a single US place that you can order them.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Any shop that orders from BTI can get you parts from SIC. A quick look at the dealers page on their website will tell you that.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
loco said:
Thomson stems are fairly short, and Cane Creek S2s are short. As are WTB headsets. I would get an S2 and save money. Kings are actually pretty damn tall for stack height.
what? thomson stems have huge stack heights! at least the elite stem does and im pretty sure the x4 does as well.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
even if that works, is it gonna be less than $75?
$75 plus shipping both ways, and without a fork for maybe 3 weeks and therefore without a bike for 3 weeks. Eh...

It couldn't hurt to get a new stem, and it couldn't hurt to have a new headset either. If, in the future, I choose to toss it back to fox, I can do that.

J

JRB

gnurider1080 said:
what? thomson stems have huge stack heights! at least the elite stem does and im pretty sure the x4 does as well.
Of the FSA and Titec stems I have, not to mention the stock Bonti stems I have seen, Thomsons are pretty short. Ritchey and some Race Face are the only ones I have owned that are shorter than my Thomson Elites.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
robdamanii said:
$75 plus shipping both ways, and without a fork for maybe 3 weeks and therefore without a bike for 3 weeks. Eh...

It couldn't hurt to get a new stem, and it couldn't hurt to have a new headset either. If, in the future, I choose to toss it back to fox, I can do that.
Well you picked the right time of year to be without a bike for a few weeks.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
robdamanii said:
True....

Although I think I'll go with the headset and stem first and see. Can't hurt to get a few new parts, eh?
True. And if you get them at good prices and are careful not to damage them while trying them out, you can probably recoup most of your investment if they don't work.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
well Rob - what did you decided to do?

I personally would stay away from the Cane Creek S2 headset, but that's just my opinion because I had crappy luck with one. I love Cane Creek products for the most part, but the S2 I had installed on my Ted Wojcik was a POS in my opinion.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
I think I'll give the CC a shot and see how it goes. Worst comes to worst, I'll toss it and look into a different headset, but it's cheap and my solve my problem.

I really only need about 5 or 6 mm to get the current stem right on there. Any chance of being able to face down the headtube a mm or tow on each end to get a better fit?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Facing:

You have to look at the frame/fork for clearance issues on the bottom cup, but the top can be faced down quite a bit in many cases. Just don't go into the weld joining the top tube, that might be bad ;)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
robdamanii said:
Any chance of being able to face down the headtube a mm or tow on each end to get a better fit?
Altering your frame could void the warranty.

You would have to see how far they reamed the inside of the headtube to make sure it would work.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Good god! Just get the steer tube put into it for $75.00 and do without for 3 weeks. It's the smartest way to go and the most affordable way to go and have it right!

I wouldn't even think about chopping the headtube on a frame! You may be with out a bike for longer than 3 weeks if you do that and don't get it perfect.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
ctrailfreak said:
Good god! Just get the steer tube put into it for $75.00 and do without for 3 weeks. It's the smartest way to go and the most affordable way to go and have it right!

I wouldn't even think about chopping the headtube on a frame! You may be with out a bike for longer than 3 weeks if you do that and don't get it perfect.
Yeah. That's why I would let a reputable shop face down the headtube it if it can be done, instead of going at it with a grinding wheel. :rolleyes:

And with the short distance needed to make it work, why should I spend $75, plus shipping both ways, plus time off said bike, when I can simply pick up some parts that I've wanted to swap out ANYWAY and give it a try. Any harm done in that? Hrm? if it doesn't work, THEN I'll look at sending it off. Hell, it's been ridden about a half a dozen rides with the steerer a bit short and has had no problem thus far. I just want a piece of mind on the new build. And frankly, if a shop screws up the work on the frame, I'd seriously expect that it be rectified in a VERY timely manner.

And furthermore, $75 is a LITTLE bit steep for what would amount to about 10mm of aluminum steerer. I can certainly find a better place to spend that money.

Wumpus:

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll mention it and see what my guy says. I still think the short stack on the headset and stem will do it for me, but it's just something else to toss out and see. Only reason I brought it up was I seem to remember someone pointing it out when Stinky had a similar problem with his fork on his Kik. Not sure how he resolved it though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rob, please let us know how many times you ride yr bike in the next three weeks.

if it's more than one, i'll be astounded.

btw, you could probably get a piece of tubing for short money, it's the pressing (and subsequent warranty that it's done right) that yr paying for.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
rob, please let us know how many times you ride yr bike in the next three weeks.

if it's more than one, i'll be astounded.

btw, you could probably get a piece of tubing for short money, it's the pressing (and subsequent warranty that it's done right) that yr paying for.
Never said it wasn't the work I was paying for. It amounts to $75 for a short bit of aluminum whether it's labor or not.

And it's not only the fact of being unable to ride it, I do have a somewhat....limited....window to work in building it in, since the kona guy we deal with is merely 250 miles away from where I live.

It's cool. All I wanted to know was if it was a possibility to shave it down a mm or two to make it simpler. I didn't need a hissy fit from whats-his-name up there to go with it. Everyone else offered good suggestions and cautions, and I thank them for that. Even you. :thumb:

J

JRB

I have had zero troubles with S2 headsets. I have never even had a bad bearing. If you press it in right and use like grease and occasional cleanings, it will last you a long while. Let us know what you do. I personally sent a fork to Marzocchi once, and had it back in 10 days. Try the HS and stem/spacer combos first. It may just work fine for you.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
loco said:
I have had zero troubles with S2 headsets. I have never even had a bad bearing. If you press it in right and use like grease and occasional cleanings, it will last you a long while. Let us know what you do. I personally sent a fork to Marzocchi once, and had it back in 10 days. Try the HS and stem/spacer combos first. It may just work fine for you.
Cool, good to know about the S2s. And if the stem/headset doesn't work, like I said....I've got some nifty new parts anyway.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
robdamanii said:
Yeah. That's why I would let a reputable shop face down the headtube it if it can be done, instead of going at it with a grinding wheel. :rolleyes:
All I'm saying is that it would be better to have a new steer tube put in. That way you have more room to play with stack height, and you can run a fiew spacers so that if it rides too low in the front you can bring it up a spacer or two.

I'm not going off on you.... I just can't see cutting the headtube down and void your warranty on a frame that cost more than $75.00 to replace. I'm just saying that buying a new steer tube would be the smartest route if you want to be able to adjust the height of the bars later on.

It would also help the resale of the fork, if you ever decide to get a new one. I had a new steer tube put on my 66 and it only took a week to get it there and back from Marzocchi.

J

JRB

ctrailfreak said:
All I'm saying is that it would be better to have a new steer tube put in. That way you have more room to play with stack height, and you can run a fiew spacers so that if it rides too low in the front you can bring it up a spacer or two.

I'm not going off on you.... I just can't see cutting the headtube down and void your warranty on a frame that cost more than $75.00 to replace. I'm just saying that buying a new steer tube would be the smartest route if you want to be able to adjust the height of the bars later on.

It would also help the resale of the fork, if you ever decide to get a new one. I had a new steer tube put on my 66 and it only took a week to get it there and back from Marzocchi.

How's the DHX treating you???

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
loco said:
How's the DHX treating you???
Sweet!:drool: Just got back from a ride about 10 minutes ago! Sooo much smoother than my Vanilla R! I just got it all setup the other nite when I got my spring from Fox!

Took it off a fiew good sized drops and never bottomed it, But I used almost all the travel! Just the way it's supposed to be.:thumb:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
ctrailfreak said:

I'm actually happier with the bars lower. It keeps me honest and less sitting up and gawking around on the trail. And I don't think I'll ever toss the fork. It's been good to me, and if I needed to ditch it, Ebay is a wonderful place.