Quantcast

short-medium travel freerider

Jabuttri

Monkey
Sep 16, 2005
Bellingham & Portland
Im looking for a lot of options. I want a 4-7 inch free ride bike that will also pedal. this will probably be my only mountain bike. there isnt alot of room in my apartment. I have been looking at the usual suspects. The SX trail, the switch, session and a few others. I'm just looking for bikes from different companies to investigate before i commit. the bike needs to be able to handle ten feet easily. I don't want to bend this one.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
depending on how much time and money you have, Santa Cruz will be bringing back the Bullit soon which has always been known for it's hucking and climbing ability. but otherwise there are so many good frames out right now that will suit you, just keep looking.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Iron Horse MKIII. DW link is the way to go. There are some great pictures of it taking abuse in either the freeride or dh forums.

J

JRB

I would have looked at the SX Trail, if I wanted more of a drop bike.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MMcG said:
Yep you can't really go wrong with that bike. :cool:
Why is that? They seem real popular in NE. Does it pedal that well? I only know 1 person who has rode one and it was a prototype (His regular bike is a Cdale Gemini which rides OK but he thinks is "the best" so I am suspect of his opine).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
maxyedor said:
The new KHS AM2000 is the same frame as above, but newer. Adrenaline bikes has them for like $1599 or $1699 with full hone gear.

If you don't nind spending a little more look at the Foes Inferno.

Right... Only difference in the FR frams and the AM frames is the AM is missing the Bar in teh middle and is drilled for a Bottle cage.. Notice though Mine has nothing left stock on the bike. Might have to do with i bought the frame on Ebay for 300

Same Dude i got mine from almost two years ago..... He gots tons of stuff for cheap

Here is a CUrrent Ebay Auction for the FR frame

http://cgi.ebay.com/KHS-FR1500-Bicycle-Frame-Medium-18-Mountain-Bike-NEW_W0QQitemZ7218060482QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ANd a current Auction for the AM frame

http://cgi.ebay.com/KHS-AM1000-Bicycle-Frame-Fox-Shox-4-5-6-Travel-OEM_W0QQitemZ7219286253QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
kidwoo said:
SX Trail.

It has a bb height designed for riding.

Not scooting over rocks at 1mph.
less then 1 inch diffrence between the two. you can tell the diffrence, but just slightly. gemni kicks arse in slow, techy stuff, but still loves to haul down SS's west side. the limited time i've had on an SX it felt sweet.
coilair rocked my world and could handle a smooth 10ft.
howler looks like a lot of fun, i'm getting one when i get the $..

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
jdcamb said:
Why is that? They seem real popular in NE. Does it pedal that well? I only know 1 person who has rode one and it was a prototype (His regular bike is a Cdale Gemini which rides OK but he thinks is "the best" so I am suspect of his opine).
A guy on the Nemba forum has one - same color. Apparently it pedals great and handles everything you throw at it. There is a picture or two of it in the Shawnee Peak snow race thread.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I say the Splinter MX aswell, I have one I haven't got to ride it too much yet but it does pedal very well and it's built to last. Also the pull rod adjustment lets you fine tune your HA and BB height.
Here is mine(now has a Boxxer ride)

and here is the range of adjustment of the pull rod
It can go from 69 degree HA with a 14.5" bb

to 63 degree HA with a 10.5" BB! (not 100% functional)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Yep.

I vote for the Splinter, too.

The bike is really amazing. Even though it is a link activated single pivot, it pedals great. I'm coming from an all rigid bike, so I do not like the "supsended" feel of most bikes. The Splinter just feels right. My first thought when I test rode one was that I neded to find something to huck it off of (this is a good thing). My first run on a real trail saw me hit stuff that I would completely avoid, or at least have to psyche myself up for on my bike - and I am reasonably competent as a rider. I can hit 3 footers all day on my rigid, but I start to balk at about 5 (from lip to beginning of transition: translated to 8-10 MTBR feet or 283509865 Pinkbike feet). The bike I demoed was set up at 4" and 4" (you can go up to 6" in the back) and felt fantastic. It was nimble, yet soaked up the hits just fine. I can't quite describe how solid the bike felt.

I liked the SX trail, (and hated most everything else) but the Splinter blew it out of the water in my opinion. Maybe anihillated is a better word.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
The Prophet by Cannondale has 5.5inches or 6 depending on which model you get and I have built them up at 25 lbs. Think you can climb that? It's the same frame that Chase uses at the freeride comps when not on a hardtail. I use mine for trail riding, ravine jumping, and downhilling along with a little urban here and there and the base model starting at 1299 has the same frame as the top of the line 5000 bike. It also has the 1.5 headtube so you can run a light single crown fork with up to 7inches of travel. The frame is strong as hell and rides very nice.

Jabuttri

Monkey
Sep 16, 2005
Bellingham & Portland
the budget will be up to 3000 and i already have a lot of parts. i like cheaper but im not going to sacrifice quality and go with a KHS. That sinister looks like it might be pretty close for me. Im not so sure bikes like the 575 and the prophet are strong enough. a while back I bent an sgs. I think that one of those would be toast in no time

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Heath Sherratt said:
The Prophet by Cannondale has 5.5inches or 6 depending on which model you get and I have built them up at 25 lbs. Think you can climb that? It's the same frame that Chase uses at the freeride comps when not on a hardtail. I use mine for trail riding, ravine jumping, and downhilling along with a little urban here and there and the base model starting at 1299 has the same frame as the top of the line 5000 bike. It also has the 1.5 headtube so you can run a light single crown fork with up to 7inches of travel. The frame is strong as hell and rides very nice.
There are a lot of good frames out there- SX Trail, 7Point, Splinter... If I could only have one bike, though, it might be a Prophet MX. You can definitely hit some big stuff with it. Stiff, reliable design, 12mm rear, 1.5 front- awesome bike with decent features and a pretty good price. I recently got a regular Prophet and it's going well so far. I have ridden my buddy's MX (set up with a DHX air rear and breakout front) and it felt great.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
ufdff15 said:
I say the Splinter MX aswell, I have one I haven't got to ride it too much yet but it does pedal very well and it's built to last. Also the pull rod adjustment lets you fine tune your HA and BB height.
Here is mine(now has a Boxxer ride)

and here is the range of adjustment of the pull rod
It can go from 69 degree HA with a 14.5" bb

to 63 degree HA with a 10.5" BB! (not 100% functional)

Seems to me there are too many moving parts on this bike. But i would need to see in person to give a real opinion on it

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
someone is selling there i believe, for a good price to check out the buy and sell, i think its a blue frame.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The IH 7point just doesn't even begin to compare to the SX Trail IMO. Neither does the Yeti 575. The Sinister looks nice though. If it were me it would be between the SX Trail and Sinister.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
DirtyMike said:
Seems to me there are too many moving parts on this bike. But i would need to see in person to give a real opinion on it
It might look like there's alot going on with the suspension but there really isn't. It's a single pivot with a pull rod activated linkage
Here's a better picture of the Low Mass Centralization suspension linkage(moves suspension mass toward the center of the bike, resulting in less unsprung weight and better ride.)

http://www.sinisterbikes.com/splinter_mx.htm
with a 2.25" stroke shock the travel is 5" or 6" if you get a 2.00" stroke shock the travel is 4" or 5"

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
UFDFF: What size is that frame?

I currently have a Yeti as-X and love it, but I like to try other things, keep it fresh. Been REALLY looking at the Splinter and the SX...
I've been running in 6" travel mode, so either of those will work just fine. I still prefer something with the DHX 5.0, fo sho..

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
ufdff15 said:
My splinter is a Medium. They come stock with a 5th but i opted to switch it out with my Pushed RC
Hey man, since Sinister apparently doesn't want to talk to me, can you tell me what your WB is? I'm assuming it's pretty darn short!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
SC Heckler? 5.6" rear travel, can take a DC fork. Rear end might be a touch on the flexy side for serious FR though...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
MMcG said:
Yep you can't really go wrong with that bike. :cool:
splinter is the fdank shizzle i love mine ot death. can rock it at the dj's, then the mtn x track. swithc the rear shock and free ride it/xc all day and then use the pull rod and make it a mini dh bike