Quantcast

Short Mono M4 Impressions

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, a quick little review after 2 rides. Keep in mind, this is more a preview than anything else, I still reserve the right to change my mind in the future.

Having said that, I'm impressed as hell with these brakes. The first ride I took them on was a short ride in Santiago Oaks. In the parking lot, the modulation was incredible compared to the Hayes that they replaced, but the power was terrible. I couldn't even lock up my tires on pavement. This didn't worry me too much, because I had read that they take a few runs to bed in.

The power was at least equal to the Hayes after my first downhill, but I noticed that I could scrub off speed where I needed to without locking up. The modulation really is incredible.

Yesterday's ride was the San Juan trail. It started pissing rain about a mile or two in, and was pretty cold, wet, and miserable. The Hopes were superb. One friends lost his rear Avid Mech, and another friend had a set of squealing Shimanos. I had zero issues with the exception of a touch of brake rub.

So far, I'm sold and happy I went this route. I'll do something longer term later on in the year.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Mine squeal like weee piggies! BUt I haven't taken any steps to silence them yet so we'll see.

What are the steps again?

1. face the mounts
2. grease the face of the pistons

Is that it? Brian "BUY HOPES!" HCM?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Fury
Mine squeal like weee piggies! BUt I haven't taken any steps to silence them yet so we'll see.

What are the steps again?

1. face the mounts
2. grease the face of the pistons

Is that it? Brian "BUY HOPES!" HCM?
Don't grease the face of this pistons. Make sure the caliper spacing in even, and replace the pads with EBC's. Hope sent out tons of brakes with stock pads that squeel real bad, they work fine but squeel.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm all about the Hopes now. I don't notice them being any louder than my Hayes, and they're just as strong. Plus, the lever has a way better feel than the Hayes. Now I just need a pair of Minnies for my slalom bike.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
not wanting to sound like a pr1ck or anything but a few of us here have been saying this about hope for 5 or so years :)... glad to hear that they are working out for ya... they ll only get better..

there really is no comparison

partsbara - hope or nothing :rolleyes::):devil: