Quantcast

short pull lever with avid bb7?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Quick shout to the board to see if guys have run a short pull mini style bmx lever with the avid disk brakes? Will it pull enough cable or do i need a full on mtb lever?

Never really thought much about it but i would like to get a super small lever for my tonic.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
It makes it feel mushy... no-dout. I've ran every ody monolever on my BB7 and liked the shorty the best. Power was DEFINITALLY there.. but it was just a bit mushy. But honestly, it modulated very well once you had it set to where you knew its pull. I liked it.. but switched to a juicy.

If you run the avid road calipers, you can run BMX levers and get a crisp feel from them due to the fact the road calipers have shorter pull. I believe problem solvers make a tid-bit that is supposed to take shorter pull levers and allow them to be used on vee pull brakes? Correct me if I'm wrong....

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I had a thread similar to this awhile back. I ended up trying a bb7 with a monolever. I didn't like it... it felt waaaaay mushy.

BMX v-brake levers will work. I used a sinz v-brake lever for a bit and it worked great. Now I'm using an avid lever.

I think another option is to get the bb7 road caliper, instead of the mountain. I've heard it works with regular bmx levers.

Edit: Oh, just saw somebody else mentioned the road caliper. Maybe I should read the whole thread.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah i am trying to for that super tiny odyssey lever... i believe its called the m2...

i have an xtr on there now which is nasty but i need my xtr set for something else...

so mushy is the verdict? I am a bit of a brake nazi...:pirate2:

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
As mentioned the road version BB7 will work with a short pull lever.
Exactly. You need to get the correct version. It should be mentioned, however, that the BB7 Road still does not feel quite the same as the standard BB7 does with a linear-pull lever. I have owned pretty much every version and could feel a distinct difference.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I gotta say that I love my 08' BB7 with my 08' Speed Dial 7 lever. Feels awesome and the lever reach is perfect for me.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
Anyone have any experience with a Tech 77 and a BB5?

I think I might try the combo this weekend, but I'd like some feedback.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
It makes it feel mushy... no-dout. I've ran every ody monolever on my BB7 and liked the shorty the best. Power was DEFINITALLY there.. but it was just a bit mushy. But honestly, it modulated very well once you had it set to where you knew its pull. I liked it.. but switched to a juicy.

If you run the avid road calipers, you can run BMX levers and get a crisp feel from them due to the fact the road calipers have shorter pull. I believe problem solvers make a tid-bit that is supposed to take shorter pull levers and allow them to be used on vee pull brakes? Correct me if I'm wrong....

your right, that is what i do.

road bb7 with shorty bmx lever

road with normal long pull mtb lever very hard and one off.

i like it like that too.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I've got an Odyssey AA lever available if anyone is interested. It's a bit larger than my old Mono-trigger, but not as big as like XT's or Avid's for example. Pull is meant for a V-brake, so it's linear and works with mech. discs.

I've also run some old cheap Tektro v-brake lever with the BB-7.

I always thought "M2" was for gyro's too, has a cable hole big enough for running dual cables.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
the M2 IS meant for gyro's... I think he was speaking of the monolever's. I honestly thought that the monolever was satisfying enough to run it for a few months ;) I just got my geisha w/ 140mm rotor for my j7, and I'm lovin it!!

hank

Chimp
Nov 27, 2007
Northeast
Recently mod'd out a FR5 that had seen some better days. Shortened the lever, reshaped to one finger. Also modified the barrel adjustment too. I'll most likely remove the raised avid logo and polish the barrel adjust/lever while painting the body, or polish the entire thing. THought OP might be interested to see this.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Recently mod'd out a FR5 that had seen some better days. Shortened the lever, reshaped to one finger. Also modified the barrel adjustment too. I'll most likely remove the raised avid logo and polish the barrel adjust/lever while painting the body, or polish the entire thing. THought OP might be interested to see this.
awesome, very nice. Similar to what I did with my old Tektro, but your lever blade looks nicer. Mine was also for 2 finger, not just one.

hank

Chimp
Nov 27, 2007
Northeast
The FR5 isn't the best lever i agree. I don't prefer the feel but wanted a shorter lever, and didn't want to cut down and mod out a set of better levers that i have. (especially not knowing how the cast lever would react to shaping..) With a little patience i was able to cut, shape and form the lever to how i wanted it over a mandrel.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
just posting an update here i did go with the super tiny odyssey lever and the avid road brake 140mm road set up.

It is a bit more spungy than my xtr bb7 setup but that thing was rock solid. Once i really scuff in the rotor and get them dialed i think they power will be just fine...So i give this setup a :thumb:

Riding them in the park this weekend wasnt bad at all even with a brand new rotor/pad/cable setup (which usually sucks horribly):shocked:

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I am quite the fan of my Ody short monolever with my MTN. BB7 caliper... But I DO plan on ordering a road caliper and hopefully give that a shot at rays once my frame gets done ;)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah it is a nice clean little lever...

My favorite cable levers of all time are the xtr v's though, that is what i had and hated to take it off but i needed them for another bike i was building up for my fixie habit