Quantcast

short stem people

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn that thing looks pretty sweet for a home job. You look at all those horrible contraptions in that ugly bike thread and begin to doubt humanity.

And just so sandwich doesn't get pissed.

The answer to stem length, life, the universe:

It's 42.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Damn that thing looks pretty sweet for a home job. You look at all those horrible contraptions in that ugly bike thread and begin to doubt humanity.
it was a draco, they were more known for hucker hardtails. the guy who did the majority of the design and fabrication on these bikes now runs a euro car tuner shop. quite well from the looks of it too.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
well, could part of the problem be that bikes have variable stanchion extension? because the relative wide range of head tube lengths?
Could be. Which got me to thinking earlier about standards, the whole aftermarket industry and superfluous bicycle parts:

If we're going to standardize something, why not head tube length? Then the fork makers could make stanchions a bit longer (maybe 25-35mm?) and we could raise or lower our stanchions through the clamps to our hearts' content to change HA. We could get rid of stems and Anglesets too.

Plus, I like your idea about offset too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Could be. Which got me to thinking earlier about standards, the whole aftermarket industry and superfluous bicycle parts:

If we're going to standardize something, why not head tube length? Then the fork makers could make stanchions a bit longer (maybe 25-35mm?) and we could raise or lower our stanchions through the clamps to our hearts' content to change HA. We could get rid of stems and Anglesets too.

Plus, I like your idea about offset too.
standardizing head tube length would go hand-in-hand with getting a standardized sizing system down. I can't really see the need for a 5.5" headtube any longer. You'd save weight with less headtube, less stanchion length, less steerer, you could eliminate steerer cutting all together now that everybody has a 4" headtube, and you could explore non-adjustable triple clamps as another means of saving weight and increasing stiffness. If there' no difference in HT length, then you can just slide it over and clamp it down, like a lefty. From there you could run low height 10mm stems to your heart's content...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
standardizing head tube length would go hand-in-hand with getting a standardized sizing system down. I can't really see the need for a 5.5" headtube any longer. You'd save weight with less headtube, less stanchion length, less steerer, you could eliminate steerer cutting all together now that everybody has a 4" headtube, and you could explore non-adjustable triple clamps as another means of saving weight and increasing stiffness. If there' no difference in HT length, then you can just slide it over and clamp it down, like a lefty. From there you could run low height 10mm stems to your heart's content...
...until huck banzai needs an XL frame.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
would it not be doable to have higher rise bars vs. an extra inch in the headtube and slightly less higher rise bars?
headtube length is for more than ergonomic fitment of the rider. on larger sized frames its often utilized for increased area for the top tube and down tube to be welded, IE if slightly larger tubes (or hydroforms) are used - to result in a stronger frame for a larger rider.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
headtube length is for more than ergonomic fitment of the rider. on larger sized frames its often utilized for increased area for the top tube and down tube to be welded, IE if slightly larger tubes (or hydroforms) are used - to result in a stronger frame for a larger rider.
true, but with hydroforming virtually eliminating gussets, and carbon reducing strenf concerns, and steel not ever being used, the need for long headtubes with spaced out welds is way low. I understand it from an ergonomic sense, but if you've got higher rise bars, you'll still have the same hand position with a shorter headtube and an extended stem or 3" rise bars.

On an intense, the L size ht is the same as a medium. On a turner, it's 4.7", vs. 4.3 for a l, and 4.0 for a medium. You can easily add 1" of rise via riser bars vs. worrying about 0.7" in a headtube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
true, but with hydroforming virtually eliminating gussets, and carbon reducing strenf concerns, and steel not ever being used, the need for long headtubes with spaced out welds is way low. I understand it from an ergonomic sense, but if you've got higher rise bars, you'll still have the same hand position with a shorter headtube and an extended stem or 3" rise bars.

On an intense, the L size ht is the same as a medium. On a turner, it's 4.7", vs. 4.3 for a l, and 4.0 for a medium. You can easily add 1" of rise via riser bars vs. worrying about 0.7" in a headtube.
the use of tapered head tubes also helps provide more surface area. still doesn't totally solve strength issues on the extreme upper end of sizing. comes into play to help prevent cracks in the event of head-on collisions.

and carbon doesn't reduce strength concerns. they're just evaluated differently due to differences in material characteristics.

bmx frames can get away with standard head tube lengths because the only thing that changes between sizes is TT lengths.

[edit] just to make sure we're clear, i'm talking extreme upper end of sizing, XL+, not M / L [/edit]

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah it's not a bad bike at all. The BB is a little too low, and the stack height is massive (partly because the BB is so damn low, partly because the head tube is huge, and partly because I'm running a Dorado) so I'm running a low stem and flat bar to compensate. Overall I do like it, but it's getting pretty beat, and I was really impressed with the time I got on a DW DHR at Mammoth last year.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
...until huck banzai needs an XL frame.
Although, at least in the case of V10c - all sizes S-XL have the same size headtube!

Goofy gigantic headtubes - ick!

Now does anyone have a Pike in good shape with an uncut steerer for my goofy gigantic hardtail? The Firefly is gonna snap, I know it....