Quantcast

Short Term Killswitch Review (and pics)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So i got the killswitch in a 23" (last stock of this run)

I figure ill break this into categories, make it easier for everybody, forgive any illiteracy, i am not good at teh bookz.

SetupPretty stiff, 4 inch fork which im sure most of you would call soft for DJ, but certainly not too soft. Rear end pretty stiff(matches the fork) If you were to jump an x factor ramp at a moderate speed and land both tires, you would use 2-3 inches of the travel. The last inch is REALLY stiff, havent touched it yet, and ive tried

Dirt jumping
I found that this was probably the best place for this bike, While it may not be a hardtail, you really cant find a fault with it, i would like to say that i enjoy dirt jumping with this MORE, than on my hardtail, it isnt BETTER, but id say its 90% as efficient. The fun factor (to me) was off the charts. I have it set up pretty stiff, but certainly not as much as it could be, and i can get great pumps.I found that I(me) actually jumped it better than my hardtail. Anybody that has tried a DJ fully and hated it, should really try to get on 1 of these, they really are incredible, and i found that the ways you can jump were more versatile. The little bit of suspension wont absorb any of your pop, nor will it make you fail at pumping. To put this into perspective, our jumps (not pictured) are 8 pumpers, into 3 berms, followed by a step up, 2 hips, a 180 berm(tight as all hell) than another 2 step ups (uphill) I could get the whole line, while some hardtails and bmx'rs struggled. Its not the typical fully fully feel, you will use the first 2 inches, but it has a REALLY stiff platform you will probably not get past unless you have a nice case. Overally, made the jumps smoother and more flowy. This is the best place for the KS that i found.

Street/park
Its certainly better than any other fully here, but I still think that using it for this discipline would be pretty useless. I can hop a 180 flat with it, than half cab out, but its big, cumbersome, long, and not idea. I wouldnt recommend it for street at all. I would say its better than its other options, but certainly not a good idea.

Pedaling
I set it up geared, with a 36T front ring, and a Roadie rear cassette. I rode with the lever to the right (mega LSC-addressed later) It pedals better than my previous concentric kona, alot better, but it will bob, fortunately i have it set up so that its too stiff and not sensitive enough to get some BOB. Seatpost only has 4-5 inches in the frame, so dont plan on sitting down, if you want to jump with your seat at a reasonable level the same ride.

Slopestyle
Ill be bluntly honest, i dont have a clue, as i dont ride it(and cant) I will add that from my Dj sessions with it, i think it will shine here as well, or better than the DJs. The only problem i found with DJ riding, was that if a jump was small and steep, occasionally you can feel its "fluff" I will add that i almost didnt mention it, as its that uncommon and insignificant, but it may help here, Slopestyle as a whole is bigger than the local DJ stuff, so i would assume that it would do better there, after all, it was designed to hit massive jumps and not think twice.

4X/slalom
Havent ridden this yet, but i think that if you were to be on a track that you would normally ride a hardtail on, it would be fine, but the suspension is limited if you were looking for bump absorption(but probably would still be fine)I do however think there could be better options for 4x/DS, but not by much. (This may not be the best for 4x, but it can do every discipline efficiently, which isnt something most 4x fullys will.)

Shock
This shock is DOPE, I really didnt expect much and almost ordered a fox to replace it with the day i got it, however BM told me it is nice...AND IT IS! There is a blue lever which essentially is a LSC lever, on "1" its super plush, basically unrideable (but so nice on the rooty trail on the way to the DJ spot!) < really, its super convenient. There are 2 "middle" positions, and than the right "4" setting, that is what i ride in, its similar to "hardtail" mode. Pedals great, pumps great, and jumps great. (you will still use travel, but it wont feel like riding in peanut butter)

And the photos!

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Looks good, What did your weight come out to? I was plannin on building mine up with a bit more of a DJ specific, 3p cranks, singlespeed, etc. Does the travel sink in on manuals like a normal squish, or does that stiff first stroke allow it to resist it? And my most prominent concern, do you have to set the fork up to match the rear basically, so the fork isn't diving into the travel when the rear is barely active?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Looks good, What did your weight come out to? I was plannin on building mine up with a bit more of a DJ specific, 3p cranks, singlespeed, etc. Does the travel sink in on manuals like a normal squish, or does that stiff first stroke allow it to resist it? And my most prominent concern, do you have to set the fork up to match the rear basically, so the fork isn't diving into the travel when the rear is barely active?
I didnt notice it on manuals, and if it does, its so little that you wont notice, i match my fork, because i prefer it that way (all my bikes are set that way) You can run the fork stiffer/softer depending what you want. My weight is 30.10 lbs, BM got 1 at interbike that weighed 26 as a singlespeed.

I just put mine together with how you are looking to set up yours. I have never owned a single speed but took a shot with a 32t front and 14t rear. Its pretty nice for hitting dirtjumps.
I have an argyle 4" front fork that is et up stiff and i'm running 300psi in the rear shock and thats what i had to do to not have it squish as much. I called BM and they agree.
The bike is pretty rad but it is not a hardtail so that extra "pop" from a hardtail is not there.
Having to tweek my style but after 2 hard days of jumping (and my bros are on 20's,24 and 26") my biggest obstacle is the top tube length. Its more than my DH bike!
Not saying its a bad thing yet just way opposite of my previous jumper.

i am 203.88 pounds no gear and im running 190, dial to the right(when sitting on bike), little squish but nothing bad, how stiff is yours, do u get any sag?

*max psi is 250 FWIW

I'm scratching my head here.
We weigh about the same and at 250psi the shock jumped like butt and your running 60 psi less than that.
Mondo said to not worry about sag like a regular shock due to how the shock was designed for this application.
I've already used 3 different shock pumps to re'check myself and it jumps good at 300psi.
No way could i ride 190psi........:wait:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I'm scratching my head here.
We weigh about the same and at 250psi the shock jumped like butt and your running 60 psi less than that.
Mondo said to not worry about sag like a regular shock due to how the shock was designed for this application.
I've already used 3 different shock pumps to re'check myself and it jumps good at 300psi.
No way could i ride 190psi........:wait:
weird, i mean mine could be "soft" compared to yours, i sag less than an inch, ill double check my pump later, mayb my dial is off.

weird, i mean mine could be "soft" compared to yours, i sag less than an inch, ill double check my pump later, mayb my dial is off.

X-fusion says that 300psi is ok and that the 100psi difference between us is due to the fact i'm in warm temps in the south and that your in cold temps up in NJ.
I know cold air is more dense but apparently the air sleeve is effected by temp also.
So i guess i'm all good!