Quantcast

Short Term Review:Banshee Wildcard

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I havent done THAT much riding on it, nor a huge variety of terrain, but i feel i have enough for a SHORT term review.

Braking, while most of my initial opinions were that it would suck, or at least not be exceptional, i am presently surprised. It isn't the easiest (at least for me) to tell about braking forces on a bike with such small travel. i haven't noticed any major problems either way with braking. It seems pretty neutral.

Pedaling, Its great, i got mixed reviews when i was debating buying the bike itself, but im very pleased with the pedaling. mine came with a DHX air 5.0 and i keep the propedal on for cruising around town, but, even with it off-its still great. I rode 15 miles on road yesterday, than 11 today, back to back and it was great. (its also nice to have a full seatpost)

cornering, AMAZING-im almost speechless with this 1. While i havent had too much time on the trails with it, on the pavement in front of my house, i can get the bike REALLY low, i feel that if i had the balls to drag the bars, its completely possible. (however, this could be the 2.1 tubeless small block 8 tires) when i carve hard, even with very high PSI, it still wants to peel the tires off the rims, and it feels like there is sufficient force to burp a tire, if this ever becomes an issues, back to tubes for me. 10/10 on cornering-which is great for me, as this will be my 4x bike.

bumps, While i generally feel that anything under 6 inches of travel (ive only run it at 5 inches of travel) rides like total garbage as far as absorbing bumps and rocks on the trail, the banshee does a great job with it. It really feels like the travel you have, is designed well and seems to do a great job for eating bumps. for a bike with 5 inches of travel, you get as much of that squishy DH bike feel as you can, not having the extra 10 pounds and 5 inches of suspension. It is marketed as a "slopestyle" bike, NOT a 4x bike, so that could be why it does a better job than most of the little 4x bikes ive ridden, but im more than satisfied with how it rides, and im sure i can get alot out of the shock as it is.

jumping, while limited to some smaller dirt jumps, it jumps much like a slope-style bike would, which is great because its supposed to do that. It seems to have a nice "pop" to it which can be either love it or hate it, i am not super fond of it, but its grown on me to an extent. (i wont blame this on banshee however, as its supposed to do tricks, not race)

Major parts that factor into review is a 36 talas fork, frame has a DHX air. 819 rims with tubeless small block 8s, brakes are code 5s.

cornering, AMAZING-im almost speechless with this 1. While i havent had too much time on the trails with it, on the pavement in front of my house, i can get the bike REALLY low, i feel that if i had the balls to drag the bars, its completely possible. (however, this could be the 2.1 tubeless small block 8 tires) when i carve hard, even with very high PSI, it still wants to peel the tires off the rims, and it feels like there is sufficient force to burp a tire, if this ever becomes an issues, back to tubes for me. 10/10 on cornering-which is great for me, as this will be my 4x bike.
So you are basing the cornering ability on a ride around the front of your house? On the road?

Damn that's stupid. If you're going to give a review, try to ride the ****ing thing as it is supposed to be!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
So you are basing the cornering ability on a ride around the front of your house? On the road?

Damn that's stupid. If you're going to give a review, try to ride the ****ing thing as it is supposed to be!
Well i have taken it off road, but dont you think cornering in the dirt depends, i dont know, mayb on the tires. Any bike can rail a steep berm, or drift a loose corner, but imo, if you want to see how the bike can perform, find a place where you wont slide out.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
this sounds like a MBA review.
You haven't seen a copy of MBA for a long time son. Currently it is more along the lines of "the bike is great but would be even better if it had 29er wheels and Specialized made it!" :D

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
have you had any previous experience with bikes in the same category or only big DH bikes previously? of coarse it will feel nimble and great at "pavement cornering" when all you can compare it to is a dh bike.

not a helpful review to anyone looking to gather some info about the bike but im glad that you like it and are having fun with it

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
have you had any previous experience with bikes in the same category or only big DH bikes previously? of coarse it will feel nimble and great at "pavement cornering" when all you can compare it to is a dh bike.

not a helpful review to anyone looking to gather some info about the bike but im glad that you like it and are having fun with it
i havent owned any, only ridden a few, but what blew me out of the water was how hard it can corner. (specifically compared to my DJ hardtail)

ridden Jamis , morewood, and intense.