Quantcast

Shortages

We have been babbling about bicycle-related shortages for bikes and related parts and accessories.

I have been noting that, between the pandemic and political maneuvering, this is affecting all sorts of stuff. We have noted building supplies in general. I went to get a couple of spray foam cartridges the other day and was told at Aubuchon that there are no foam cartridges because of a cannister shortage. Similarly, I went today to get some PEX and Sharkbite fittings; no half inch gate valves, no PEX to half inch copper fittings...

PITA of the day, or the decade, or whatever.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Checked lumber prices getting ready to redo the patio cover, holy shit!

Also stainless steel, looking at December delivery on a PO I placed this morning. Nothing special, just 1.25" 416 Stainless round bar, granted I'm looking for 10k lbs, but it used to be that I'd have at least 2500lbs on the dock within 24hrs of ordering.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The cost of PVC pipe has skyrocketed along with high tensile wire. I heard dewalt batteries are scarce due to EV production sucking up all the lithium.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The results of international supply chains. What might be made next store still relies on components, raw materials, equipment from somewhere else in the world.

And while a lot of the U.S. is ignoring the pandemic, or well vaccinated from it. People are really getting hit hard across the world, especially in the developing countries we depend on.

Things are going so well in India right now. The folks I work with are terrified to leave their homes.

1619215726418.png

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have heard that there is a Glitter Shortage. Since the Strip bars are closed. The Glitter manufacturers in Portugal just aren't shipping it to the strip bar suppliers. Thats what I have been told.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have heard that there is a Glitter Shortage. Since the Strip bars are closed. The Glitter manufacturers in Portugal just aren't shipping it to the strip bar suppliers. Thats what I have been told.

Why do you hate fish?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Why do you hate fish?

I am willing to sacrifice Fish in exchange for the Glitter enhancement of small breasts. Aren't you? Sometimes fish scales are kind of glittery. Have you not noticed some forms of Marching Powder appear glittery? Nobody is calling for a ban on Cocaine or Hookers for that matter. Scientists should really shut the fuck up....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I really haven’t had any problems getting parts. A few I’ve had to look a little harder for, but I’ve built a bike in the last year and ordered stuff for my Iditarod race with no real issues. I realize that just one OEM part in the supply chain can snag the whole system, which seems to be what is happening. That’s one reason I don’t buy complete bikes. I may have just put myself in this position of waiting for a new frame though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The results of international supply chains. What might be made next store still relies on components, raw materials, equipment from somewhere else in the world.

And while a lot of the U.S. is ignoring the pandemic, or well vaccinated from it. People are really getting hit hard across the world, especially in the developing countries we depend on.

Things are going so well in India right now. The folks I work with are terrified to leave their homes.

View attachment 159428
Not just international supply chains, but lean supply chains and JIT manufacturing.

View attachment 159428
Yeah, I have been watching India with interest.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For anyone interested, there was an inside line (vital mtb) podcast back in February with the ceo of santa cruz in regards to the challenges they've faced (especially supply chain, but also increased demant) since covid. Even box shortages due to increased e-commerce.

It's about 30 minutes, worth a listen.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
all the lumber/home improvement stuff is nuts. building in these parts has persisted and even intensified. add on home improvements and renovations, along with worker slowdowns...boom. $60 sheets of 3/4" pluwood

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
all the lumber/home improvement stuff is nuts. building in these parts has persisted and even intensified. add on home improvements and renovations, along with worker slowdowns...boom. $60 sheets of 3/4" pluwood
Only $60? Where? I'll come pick some up. It's $80 here, if you can find it.

My brother lives in a pretty upscale neighborhood north of LA, no bullshit or hyperbole 20% of his neighbors have major renovations going on. It's no wonder Home Depot and Lowes are out of stock on half their overpriced lumber and sheet goods.

Tariffs on lumber from Trumps trade war haven't helped either, but at least we're sticking it to Canada or something.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
We have been babbling about bicycle-related shortages for bikes and related parts and accessories.

I have been noting that, between the pandemic and political maneuvering, this is affecting all sorts of stuff. We have noted building supplies in general. I went to get a couple of spray foam cartridges the other day and was told at Aubuchon that there are no foam cartridges because of a cannister shortage. Similarly, I went today to get some PEX and Sharkbite fittings; no half inch gate valves, no PEX to half inch copper fittings...

PITA of the day, or the decade, or whatever.
Please don't use Sharkbites & PEX. Go old school and solder your copper!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Also semi conductors. Affecting all sorts of things.

Like my new laptop, estimated to be delivered in June.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And beef. Probably only local to here, but still. I went to one grocery store the other day and they had no beef.

Apparently their supplier was shut down because of covid.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Please don't use Sharkbites & PEX. Go old school and solder your copper!
lol man I had a sharkbite connection fail in the apartment I last rented. Good thing I home; the house owner lived in a different country so getting it fixed or noticed would have been a pain.

It was at least easy to fix with a few inch extention thing.

They had pulled two pipes together and joined it, so it was under constant tension and just popped.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've seen sharkbites leak on a few occasions. They make a great temporary bandaid while in the middle of a remodel to keep water to a bath/kitchen. Pex is fast & easy to install, but if you're looking to fish piping, use soft roll copper, less solder joints. If you have rodents, I've seen them chew through PEX tubing. By the way, I am a licensed plumbing contractor.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've seen sharkbites leak on a few occasions. They make a great temporary bandaid while in the middle of a remodel to keep water to a bath/kitchen. Pex is fast & easy to install, but if you're looking to fish piping, use soft roll copper, less solder joints. If you have rodents, I've seen them chew through PEX tubing. By the way, I am a licensed plumbing contractor.
I used all crimps on my Frita pipes. But I wanted flexible for all the shaking that goes on with the diesel.

The R-Pod got me into PEX, and certain emergency repairs have gotten me into Sharkbites where and as appropriate. I have done a lot of sweated joints and am competent in the art. I detest working with soft roll, although I know how to use it.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
With all this pent up demand, supply chain management fails due to Covid, prices are rising for lots of consumer goods

I was but a wee lad in the early 70s, but it sure seems like inflation is coming.

#IHaveNoIdeaWhatThatMeansPracticallySpeaking

Giddy up...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I've seen shortage of my time to work, and price went up for my client. Covidium can't be all bad.

Went in hardware store to get 4 basic construction items, got out without any. Had to go to the anal intruder hardware store to get raped even more on price.

Frame is going up Monday.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Seen price increases in building materials (lumber, plywood) however, there is supply if you’re willing to pay.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Drove by the Bentley, Rolls Royce and Bugatti dealer this morning, looks like shortages there as well. Never seen fewer than 40 cars on their lot, about a dozen today.
It’s been a record year for RR and Bentley. Look it up.