Quantcast

>>Shortbus Wednesday GMT<<

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Trail Work Wednesday! Taking a volunteer day to work on a trail that's been closed since the massive flooding a couple years ago... was once a fun rowdy techy trail and I'm sure the reroute won't be "as cool" but it'll be good to get out there and swing a pick and stab a shovel for a day.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Celebrated 2 years last night by getting my ass handed to me in shuffleboard. I've never enjoyed losing so much. Sometimes its hard to believe its been 2 years already, but then again its hard to believe its only been 2 years. :rofl:

I feel a sh!tload of coffee will be needed today.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Jesus. I want to rent my flat to people and it means I have to meet a ton of people I don't like to meet. Crazy students, young couples who are about to have a baby and will be protected by law even if they stop paying and a ton of Ukrainians (which I have nothing against, but if they destroy something it's hard to have a case agaist them in my silly country).

I could be biking instead or riding snowboards since we will have fresh powder till late april even though our mountains are small.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Did you get to claim some sort of "green" deduction on the big-a$$ work truck? Fucking government... :rofl:
I'm pretty sure the oil and auto industry ensures the write off remains in place.
We got a truck and a van this year and will hit the well again in 3 years when we can do so.
This trucks just a placeholder until the aluminum super dutys come out, I ran the last one 10yrs/160k.
Our vans get run into the ground, usually 8-10 years or until they rust out.
Dealer sold 8 super duty's the day I was in, all to contractors trying to get them titled before year end.
It was a feeding frenzy and inventory by year end was nearly zero at most dealers.

To be honest it's a valid program for its intended use, especially now that they weeded out the abuse that led to it being called the Hummer Tax. It benefits legit, tax-paying companies and the vehicle parameters are pretty strict now.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Jesus. I want to rent my flat to people and it means I have to meet a ton of people I don't like to meet. Crazy students, young couples who are about to have a baby and will be protected by law even if they stop paying and a ton of Ukrainians (which I have nothing against, but if they destroy something it's hard to have a case agaist them in my silly country).

I could be biking instead or riding snowboards since we will have fresh powder till late april even though our mountains are small.
We rent our Garage in Boston to some Ukrainians. Very nice folks. Taxi drivers all of them. Always go out of their way to pay rent on time or ahead. They don't get along with the neighbors, but neither did we.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
We rent our Garage in Boston to some Ukrainians. Very nice folks. Taxi drivers all of them. Always go out of their way to pay rent on time or ahead. They don't get along with the neighbors, but neither did we.
I trust them and I know a ton of good people from Ukraine but on the other hand if the screw up something in the flat legally I can do less. I will meet someone today. Will see though I hope for a 50 year old couple.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I trust them and I know a ton of good people from Ukraine but on the other hand if the screw up something in the flat legally I can do less. I will meet someone today. Will see though I hope for a 50 year old couple.
Well we had a loft above the Garage. They converted it to a one bedroom apartment. Bathroom kitchen and everything. No permits. No nothing. We can't figure out where the sewage goes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do you ride is as out and back? ie: up falcon-lotb out/back-down falcon?

I know that would be a monster ride, but don't understand the one way route. You climb forever and then do most of your descending on the road. :hmm:
Start at LoTB. Coast the road to start. Up Falcon -> down LoTB. It's not that bad. It's actually better if you leave a car at Little Park and shuttle up to the east side of Falcon.

The Falcon climb ain't bad. You been to Deer Crik recently? Now that climb...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Fix your withholding, Shared Skittles!

To be honest it's a valid program for its intended use, especially now that they weeded out the abuse that led to it being called the Hummer Tax. It benefits legit, tax-paying companies and the vehicle parameters are pretty strict now.
Is there something beyond > 8500 GVWR?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Is there something beyond > 8500 GVWR?
Basics are outlined below. Sec179.org
Most 1/2 tons and things like tacomas don't qualify anymore due to short beds. Same goes for full size SUVs etc.

For passenger vehicles, trucks, and vans (not meeting the guidelines below), that are used more than 50% in a qualified business use, the total deduction for depreciation including both the Section 179 expense deduction as well as Bonus Depreciation is limited to $11,060 for cars and $11,160 for trucks and vans.

Exceptions include the following vehicles:

• Ambulance or hearse used specifically in your business;
  • Taxis, transport vans, and other vehicles used to specifically transport people or property for hire;
  • Qualified non-personal use vehicles specifically modified for business (i.e. van without seating behind driver, permanent shelving installed, and exterior painted with company’s name).
Limits for SUVs or Crossover Vehicles with GVWR above 6,000lbs
Certain vehicles (with a gross vehicle weight rating above 6,000 lbs but no more than 14,000 lbs) qualify for expensing up to $25,000 if the vehicle is financed and placed in service prior to December 31 and meet other conditions.

What Vehicles Qualify for the full Section 179 Deduction?
Many vehicles that by their nature are not likely to be used for personal purposes qualify for full Section 179 deduction including the following vehicles:

1. Heavy “non-SUV” vehicles with a cargo area at least six feet in interior length (this area must not be easily accessible from the passenger area.) To give an example, many pickups with full-sized cargo beds will qualify (although some "extended cab" pickups may have beds that are too small to qualify).
  2. Vehicles that can seat nine-plus passengers behind the driver's seat (i.e.: Hotel / Airport shuttle vans, etc.).
  3. Vehicles with: (1) a fully-enclosed driver's compartment / cargo area, (2) no seating at all behind the driver's seat, and (3) no body section protruding more than 30 inches ahead of the leading edge of the windshield. In other words, a classic cargo van.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You of all people should know holding your money longer is better than letting the gummint have a free loan... :think:
There's no penalty involved?

Basics are outlined below. Sec179.org
Most 1/2 tons and things like tacomas don't qualify anymore due to short beds. Same goes for full size SUVs etc
Wow, that is quite specific. The 30" in front of windshield one is great--some lobbyist for the Big 3 must have thrown that in to get Nissan NV vans audited. :D