Quantcast

Shorter and shorter CS's = too unstable??

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yeah they webpage is all screwed up with specs. almost all of their specs are contradictory.
that's lame. if a company expects you to pay $500+ for a frame only, they should take the time to tell you exactly what you're getting.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
that's lame. if a company expects you to pay $500+ for a frame only, they should take the time to tell you exactly what you're getting.
x2 - that's the worst example I've seen yet. Two min CS lengths, three TT numbers, and two very different BB height numbers. Pathetic. Cool frame, poor representation.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Quite honestly... Atomlab has never really impressed me. Their stems look bulky and way too heavy, their frames are nothing special, their fork... well they haven't released the final product, but it seems a GL would weight the same... and I've seen many bent jesme's over the past few months.

ANYHOW. After having some discussion, I'm settling on 15" stays. Much shorter and jumping might be sketchy... the LAST thing I want to do is put the time and effort into a frame and be pissed off at my decisions with GEO. So at that, my discussion is done, but let the thread live on if you so desire!!

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
Hey SDG, it's interesting how that Trailking had to be ground on in order to slam the wheel with 26's... What exactly did you have to grind?
He grinded the slots of the rear gusset. We needed to do this because the chain is the 1 to detimermine the chain stay length. He needed just a few mm to remove a halflink from his halflinkchain to slam it as short a posible.

Cheers S.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
sdg i think you mean the rear dropout.

btw the atomlab fork is in the way from where ever it comes from. i should have one in about 2 weeks for my build. no its not suppose to be all that light nit at the same time no heavier then many other forks on the market (argly for example) and its WAY less expensive.

litehedd

Chimp
Mar 2, 2008
I also ride on a trailking with chainstay slammed.
I have one complaint with my trailking that is the rear brake position.
The brake tabs are set for like 385mm chainstay.
My rear rotor diggs into the caliper unless I shim up my caliper by 5mm.
My rear brake doesn't feel very good with the raised caliper.
How could he manage to have his rear brake working properly with slammed short?

Sorry for my bad English and thank you.

Hey, this is my frends Trailking and we have slammed the chainstay down to 14,5" by grinding the gussets a bit. As you can see it's with 26" and he runs Maxxis - Holyroller 26"x2.2. The tire clearence is very minimal, like 3 a 4mm.

For the storie about being unstable it's not true, this bike is very stable on the big dirts and with speed. I Think the unstableness is more a combination of chainstay and wheelbase, the shorter the wheelbase, the more unstable the bike gets with speed. The headtube angle is allso a big influence for the stable feel of a bike.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

I have nothing technical to add, but your English is better than a lot of the native speakers who post here.

RHARPER

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Dundee, MI

My stays on my King are set at 14.625. I also had an issue with the caliper digging into the wavy rotor. I spaced it up as well. Initially my brake felt gross but it was the cables fault (some cheapy stock cable). I put on a WeThe People cable and it feels super nice. 5mm up shouldn't make your brake feel any better or worse. Oh I'm running a BB5 brake with a Avid Black Ops brake lever. My buddy runs the same brake setup except for a cheapy cannondale brake lever. Actually feels the same, nice and snappy, not much squish at all.

If you have questions about the frame, the guy who designed it posts on the MMBA.org website under the name Trailboss. He's a super nice guy and would be happy to answer any questions about it.

litehedd

Chimp
Mar 2, 2008
Thanks for your reply.
It's good to know that brake issue is not just me.
I never thought of cable thing.
I run BB7 and XTR levers.(and front V-brake!)
Certainly it may be the cable or dirty pads.
I will check them.
Still not the best for the position of caliper, I hope I'll be able to have enough good feel.
Thank you.

RHARPER

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Dundee, MI
Also a note:

The shorter stays did feel weird at first but the frame I bought (in the first batch) came with a 23.5 top tube. I was coming off an older Chase in a size large so the distance between the bars and seat were very similar. Just the rear end shortened way up and the bb moved higher.

Initially it was the classic, felt like riding on top of the bike intead of "in it". But a few sessions later it feels fine. The longer front end helps with the shorter rear end.