Quantcast

Shorter levers for Saint brakes?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I feel that the levers are too long to use single finger braking. Also my bar (Boobar) is thick at middle so I couldn't move lever set much.

I happened to bend one lever of Shimano Saint brake. I didnt dare bend that back much since it is aluminum material right?

So what levers of other shimano brakes are compatible with Saint? I want one finger lever. Xtr trail lever looks good. Straitline custom levers seem expensive.

Im looking for relatively cheap and ergonomic solution. Maybe I have to change the handlebar too :D

Last edited:

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
I actually bought wider bars for that same issue. I could not move the levers inboard enough to facilitate one-finger braking, due to the clamp design..

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
After some research, it seems that levers are compatible with SLX and XT. Both are long levers anyway, hm.

I sent email to Straitline for more info about levers, like length of lever and see if it needs shorter lever. Maybe they'd like to make shorter ones :p

Let's see.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
longer levers give you more power/leverage. shorter levers will make your brakes not as powerful. I say new H-bars so you can move the levers in.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I have some Chromag Fubar OSX bars at the stock 30 inch width and have the levers in a great spot for single finger use. I did run my shifter between the lever and the grip, where I used to run it on the inside with other brakes...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ditch the Boobars they are a stupid design, it is hard to set up any brakes for single digit braking with them as the bars take so long to taper to 22.2mm.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
ok I need new bar. (lots to choose, Renthal, Nukeproof, Pro, Answer, Deity look good!) I agree Boobar is stupid . what waste of money :D

ONE question: Could I dare bend the lever back? It took hit and I did bend a bit but it is not completely straight yet.