Quantcast

Shorts with pockets?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can anyone recommend me some decent riding shorts with at least two decent sized, preferably zippered pockets?

Must be cut long in the leg.

I currently have some Oakley remix shorts, which I love, but they don't have pockets. I also own some Sombrio shorts which fit nicely, and have plenty of pockets, but the stitching quality is pretty poor and they're falling apart in several places.

I've recently learned that a couple of large pockets in which to squeeze a tube and a multitool is the way to avoid wearing a pack at the bike park. It makes me happy.

Advice appreciated!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4915

I have these in black, been rocking them for a couple of years and durability is good. Most importantly for me, the price is good. Troy lee etc charge RIDICULOUS amounts for a pair of shorts!

NOT particularly long in the leg though, and unless you're using thin XC tubes the pockets will be a bit small for your needs I think. Ideal for me for multitool keys & phone. And yep, they're zippered under the flaps.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
X2. The '08 versions have a pretty decently sized pocket on each thigh, and another one at the rear waist band. All with zippers as well.

toby
Yah, I have a pair of 08 Moto shorts and also a pair of 07 Moto shorts. I think the 07 have a little bit larger pockets, but the 08 are sweet. The pockets are large enough for me and they look good too.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
The Wilsons are really rad, but the Royal Future Combat shorts rule all. They are burly nylon cordura like moto shorts but the lining is soft as a whispery cloud on your personal regions. Biggest pockets I have found yet, with a cool flap that makes it easy to get in and out without ever losing gear.

DH one day, 6hr XC the next, these shorts deliver.

JMH

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I have some rockgardn shorts that have lasted quite a while now and even with only 1 pocket, it fits a multitool, wallet and sometimes my phone, and would definately fit a tube and multitool. The TLDs are super nice though, they will probably be my next shorts.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Raceface makes a nice knicker length short with zip pockets. I relly like them because they have a closer cut so you don't ever catch your shorts on you seat. Much better cut than other baggy shorts.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Spectrum Techwear Wilson shorts.........best baggy shorts I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. Zippered cargo pockets, reg. or long cut, adjustable waistband, front zippered vents, lightweight and durable. Brad is one of the chillest dudes I've ever chatted with in the industry as well. Can't go wrong.

http://spectrumtechwear.com/items.php?category=Shorts&id=10
2nd vote here for the Wilsons. They're the most comfortable shell short I've ridden in that you can still walk in a store without being laughed at. The two cargo pockets have a zipper and flap that velcros down for extra safety. They have regular vented mesh front pockets too. The best part (since I ride in the steamy South) is the vents on the thighs. Trail riding they REALLY, REALLY keep you cooled off. You'd think it's a novelty feature, but it's a function I love. Material, stitching, all good to go.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
These shorts are made in regular and long. Pricepoint carries the regular length only
:disgust1:

Turns out there's a Spectrum dealer near me. I'll check 'em out as they look really good. I'm with Seb in that Troy Lee charge the Earth for the branding but then, I'm not really into short shorts either... ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
FYI...the Spectrum regular length is very long. Call Brad at Spectrum if you need inseam numbers. I think he'd rather tell you the numbers & get you the right pair that fits you the first time around. If I had gottent the longs I'd look like Fraser. :D

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
has anyone tried the oneal a-10 shorts?
Yeah I've got a pair. They are OK, not excellent, but OK. The way the material is weaved it has a different feel to most other nylon shorts, which is fine other than it is maybe a bit more prone to fraying if it rubs on some velcro. The elasticated panels also don't feel as taught as my old Azonic ones, but they have lasted a good few months now without wear. The white piping that runs round the shorts sort of props the back end up so if you are standing around it can make it look like you have a shelf for an arse, but on the bike it doesn't happen. This probably isn't helped, though, by the fact I got a 34" pair rather than my standard 32" which in hindsight would have been better (Old Azonic shorts ran small IMO, and I think O'neal have taken over their clothing range or something), so the sizing seems reasonably accurate. They have two reasonable sized pockets, but the mesh liner seems to snag in the zip now and then; a bit of a pain if it happens when your phone is ringing.

That seems like quite a few niggles and they aren't perfect, but to be honest when I'm riding I don't notice them as they don't restrict me in any way, and I've had a few slides on them that I'm sure would have been a bit sorer in some other, thinner shorts.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
FYI...the Spectrum regular length is very long. Call Brad at Spectrum if you need inseam numbers. I think he'd rather tell you the numbers & get you the right pair that fits you the first time around. If I had gottent the longs I'd look like Fraser. :D
Are the Wilsons just a shell or do they include a padded liner?

x

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Rockgardn's 08' Summit shorts are well made with stealthy pocket closures (zipper is hidden away) and they look great.

J

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Are the Wilsons just a shell or do they include a padded liner?

x
shell. For me, I prefer that b/c I've got a pair of Nema Jewel's w/ built in chamois & they won't hold up knee warmers in the winter & suck if you've ridden the shorts once. you gotta wash them. With a shell, I can ride in one of my 4 different spandex shorts with nicer chamois & I can just swap out inner shorts & get away with using the shells 2-3 days in a week.

And like I said...those vents are so nice. The shell shorts have a thin mesh lining too so you're shorts don't drag across lycra for hours on end.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Troy Lee Designs Moto Shorts for sure, I have them and I can fit like 5 tubes in one pocket no problem, even though there would be a big bulge! haha
Another vote here. Best shorts I've ever used. Comfy, durable, lots of zipped pocket space for all ye valuables. One big plus I found with them is that unlike shorts with thinner material, they don't go as soggy in uber muddy conditions.

They've also got some in built hip pads too.

Sorted.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Thank you boys for the spectrum info! Butch or Joe, can you tell me how the waist runs? I am borderline 33-34" (5'11" 180ish) and am unsure if I should go mediums or LG. (MD listed as 33 LG listed as 35")

I called and only received a recording.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Thank you boys for the spectrum info! Butch or Joe, can you tell me how the waist runs? I am borderline 33-34" (5'11" 180ish) and am unsure if I should go mediums or LG.

I called and only received a recording.
i wear size 34 in dress pants & got the Larges. I'm 5'10" with short legs & the regulars dwarfed me. I sent them back to get the medium Regulars. The adjustable waistband was as tight as it would go & still a little too loose. The mediums are perfect.