Quantcast

shorty w/riser vs. tall stem w/flat bar???

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
So I'm currently running an Azonic shorty DH stem with an Azonic Ultra-Cross bar and having that annoying issue of laying the bars back after each nasty crash and tumble. Hell, I've even yanked 'em back pulling off(Ok, TRYING to pull off) big bunnies. So this all got me to thinking about running one of those(can't really find one, though) riser stems and a low-rise bar instead. Kind of like what the trials guys use, but hopefully not as freakin' long!
That brings me to my next question...what stem? I think it is Easton who makes the adjustable lift one, no?

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Ummm, flat bars usually have weird curve's to them... i wouldn't run one...
Get a new stem, like a thomson or something, and an easton bar.. or azonic if you like their bend (like me)...
i wouldn't use a high-rise stem..

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
All good points. Not a big fan of flat bars, but getting tired of the laid-back look! But hell, the dirtjumpers run the smaller O.D. 3" riser bars and they crash a lot, so it has to be a flawed stem.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Just lose the Azonic stem and get a thompson 50 or 70 and make sure you put it on the correct way, pick whatever bar you want, never have the problem again.

Spudzie

Monkey
Dec 13, 2001
Hebron, ohio
i personally run flat bars and a shorty stem, come to think of it all my bikes have flat bars. I have tried raisers but dont care for them.

just my 2 cents