Quantcast

Shotgun optics? Someone talk me out of this...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So I've been looking for a rear sight for my shotgun, when I had the thought "why not a red dot"?

The other week I shot my buddy's H&R single shot with a rear ring sight along with the front bead and I could sight in so much faster with a rear sight. Has anyone done anything like this? I've seen plenty on the internet but by no means does that make it useful and/or not stupid.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
i don't really shoot guns but the red dot makes little sense to me on a shotgun. maybe if you're shooting slugs

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
In regards to rifles, I've found the following true in my case. (overly simplified btw)

With iron sights:
- my close quarter (within 20 yards) target acquisition is faster compared to TA with an optic
- my accuracy within 300 yards is adequate
- my accuracy beyond 300 yards is sub par

With optics:
- my close quarter target acquistion is slower compared to iron sights
- my accuracy within 300 yards is more than adequate
- my accuracy beyond 300 yards is adequate

So for me, in regards to rifles, it's a trade off dependent on my intended use.

With a tactical shotty, I'd go with iron sights
With a home defense shotty, I'd go iron sights
With a sporting shotty, I'd go iron sights
With a slugger, I'd go with optics.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Yeah I've been looking around and ghost rings look like exactly what I need. I need to figure out how to mount them though because my gun doesn't have the rib on top and almost everything I've looked at mounts to a vent rib.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
It's a Remington 11-48. Almost identical to the 11-87 externally, but its a long recoil action instead of gas operated. I mainly shoot skeet with it but it'll probably get some action hunting soon. Also, home defense if necessary.

unless you are using rifled slugs and shooting deer. all you need is a good front sight bead (i like fiber-optics). if you want to get alittle fancy, you can get a ghost ring set up.

otherwise, i think red dot sites is overkill unless 1)you're using this consistently in low-light conditions 2)you're using this in tactical situations and dispatch bad guys for a living.

keep it simple, stupid...