Quantcast

Should a single speed be as light as possible??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The reason I ask is:

1. I have a Soul Cycles Hardline (Chameleon Clone) that can be run geared or SS as it has horizontal droputs with a derailleur hanger. It is currently geared.

2. I got a 2002 Z1 FR for a steal on mtbr.com (thru axle)

3. I just picked up a set of Mavic D3.1 wheels that are already set up for SS - 20mm thru axle hub for the front wheel to go with the Z1 and XT disc hub in the rear set up for SS. I got em for $40 from a local who was desperate for cash to make a car payment.

4. I have cranks, a saddle, a rear cog, seatpost, an 8 speed chain etc. etc. to build it up with.

it'll be kind of heavy, but it should be super durable and able to plow through the rocky trails we have around here pretty darned nicely.

So - should I go for it?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
short steep climbs primarily.

After thinking a bit - that's kind of heavy fork and wheel combo. I could run a lighter combo with a Minute and some Mavic 317s.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
If you're planning to do any trail riding, you'll want your bike to be as light as possible. SS makes you work a lot harder mantaining momentum on the climbs (specially the technical ones), so a light bike is a plus here.

MMcG said:
short steep climbs primarily.

After thinking a bit - that's kind of heavy fork and wheel combo. I could run a lighter combo with a Minute and some Mavic 317s.
Well, my bike should be in the same ball park as yours regarding weight, and I find it very "trail-rideable". This said, I find that what keeps me from nailling some short and very steep climbs is the lack of traction (very loose soil, with heavy gear ratio, and not so hot rear tire... :/ ), and not just the weight, which I find it's already acceptable.

I'd build the bike with the parts you already have, and work from there. Just be sure to keep weight to a minimum when choosing the tires.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
as long as you keep it around or under 35 youll be fine. my ss isnt light with freeride tires and a dj3 up front but it still rides fine.

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
i have one of each, a surly 1x1 thats about 23 lbs and a pitbull (planet x) thats about 35, set up very similar to what youre talking about doing. i trailride the pit often and find its a lot of fun...for endurance and distance though i'd take the 1x1. whatever you decide to do it'll be loads of fun!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I keep it as light as possible within your budget and durability requirements. Actually that's a good rule of thumb for any bike :D

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mark,

I'm kinda in the same position as you. Not having a full cassette, derailleurs, or shifters will allow you to go lighter. But, having to rely and keep your momentum going up a over means a good strong wheelset is possibly more important than on a gearie.

If I could lower the travel on my Shiver SC to 100mm, then I would run that on my Unit. Can you lower the travel on the Z.1?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
depends on the trail, in my opinion.

personally, i think 30+lbs for a SS is too heavy, but my DOC was up there, and it handled well on rocky, rooty trails. climbing was hard, but manageable. the confidence i gained going down made up for the inability to get up a few climbs that i could've made on my Inbred.

on a fast, flowing trail, it sucked.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Colin said:
Mark,

I'm kinda in the same position as you. Not having a full cassette, derailleurs, or shifters will allow you to go lighter. But, having to rely and keep your momentum going up a over means a good strong wheelset is possibly more important than on a gearie.

If I could lower the travel on my Shiver SC to 100mm, then I would run that on my Unit. Can you lower the travel on the Z.1?
Colin - I don't think I can lower the travel, but the fork does have ETA. My Soul Hardline was designed to handle a 100 to 130mm fork so that is not a bit issue.

Just the weight thing.

Jul 5, 2005
I'm pretty interested to see how much my SS is gonna weigh, right now i'm guessing it's gonna be about 23 pounds. Didnt count grams on the build, i want to be able to ride trails and still be able to ride some mild urban and parks on it. even after i get it going i'm still gonna upgrade a few things that i know can get lighter without sacrifing strength.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I found that I liked a heavier rear tire when I singlespeed, it helped climbing in loose conditions since the tire wouldn't spin up if I lost traction. Of course the SS was less than 22 lbs.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If making it lighter means not riding it for a while, then no - it shouldn't be as light as possible. If you can lighten it up fairly quickly so you are riding soon, then yes, make it as light as you can as long as it will hold up to whatever punishment you're going to be putting it through.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have a Chameleon w/:

Cromo cranks
Cromo bar
BMX stem
Trailpimps
03 Z1 FR
Flat cheap pedals

With 2.35 tires, it weighs about 35-36 lbs.

It plows through EVERYTHING. Climbing on it sucks, but I can make it up most of what my friends ride on their lightweight SS bikes. I just start walking the big hills a little sooner than they do. (everyone on SS bikes walks the big hills)

You'll make up for it on the descents.

Go for it.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
MY KM comes in around 27 lbs and it has learned to climb the Ouachita & Ozark mountains here in Arkansas, actually it taught me a thing or two about momentum, cadence, conditioning and picking good lines.....
I could go lighter on my bike or build a lighter bike w/ lighter frame but only for racing , for general trail riding the Munkee is Bullet Proof.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I found a Full Rigid SS helps you NOT get a sore butt & back. You do sit more with a 3-4" fork. You don't feel anything until that awful spike ..
I just like either FULLY RIGID, or Full Suspension. Equal on both ends.
Lighter is so awesome as long as you don't break parts.
Riding aggressiveness & body weight should dictate you components selection.

I weigh 185# & ride as fast as possible, i have a Singletrack REAR WHEEL for strength..& PRIMO platform pedals for my personal mashing freedom.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
.........guess I'm coming a bit late to this discussion :p ...however, I really think it has more to do with your intended purpose for the bike (geared or not :eviltongu ) If a light, XC racer style SS is your thing, then of course lighter is better. I primarily ride my Sovereign as a SS on really technical/ rooty/ rocky east coast terrain with steep/ shortish climbs & I MUCH prefer a little beef im my build. I think it's fun dusting the locals on their Specialized Epic race bikes & light build rigid ss's :blah: Make sure the geometry of the bike matches your intended usage, that IMHO is much more considerable a factor than give or take 2-3 lbs from the build...

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
H8R said:
I have a Chameleon w/:

Cromo cranks
Cromo bar
BMX stem
Trailpimps
03 Z1 FR
Flat cheap pedals

With 2.35 tires, it weighs about 35-36 lbs.

It plows through EVERYTHING. Climbing on it sucks, but I can make it up most of what my friends ride on their lightweight SS bikes. I just start walking the big hills a little sooner than they do. (everyone on SS bikes walks the big hills)

You'll make up for it on the descents.

Go for it.

Balfa Minute Man w/ 410mm Thompson post, Mavic 321 wheels, 2.7/2.3 tires, Saint Cranks, Funn Rigid fork (freaking tank fork) corrected for 5" SC... total weight ~ 35 pounds.

My bike weighs a ton for an SS. I use a 34-21 and I can still make all the major local climbs except Burke (hike 80%). It's fun and I haven't broken anything since I built it up.

Just make sure you have a WIDE bar to get max leverage.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Nicolai 2MX, Shiver SC, Hayes, Blue grooves, and ringle hubs on singletracks. It weighs in at about 31lbs. I'm hoping shave a bit of weight but not too much. Just a little more so I can make my 34x17 combo work...D

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
MMcG said:
The reason I ask is:

1. I have a Soul Cycles Hardline (Chameleon Clone) that can be run geared or SS as it has horizontal droputs with a derailleur hanger. It is currently geared.

2. I got a 2002 Z1 FR for a steal on mtbr.com (thru axle)

3. I just picked up a set of Mavic D3.1 wheels that are already set up for SS - 20mm thru axle hub for the front wheel to go with the Z1 and XT disc hub in the rear set up for SS. I got em for $40 from a local who was desperate for cash to make a car payment.

4. I have cranks, a saddle, a rear cog, seatpost, an 8 speed chain etc. etc. to build it up with.

it'll be kind of heavy, but it should be super durable and able to plow through the rocky trails we have around here pretty darned nicely.

So - should I go for it?

wait, you already have all these parts? what are you waiting for, build it up and ride!

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Im running a 2000 z1, sum mammoths, 2.35R 2.5F tires on my SS its in around 26lbs as is. Not really light but still pretty good. I would not want it any less - to get it lighter i would have to loose some streanth and cush from the FR parts.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
bigdrop05 said:
I found a Full Rigid SS helps you NOT get a sore butt & back. You do sit more with a 3-4" fork. You don't feel anything until that awful spike ..
I just like either FULLY RIGID, or Full Suspension. Equal on both ends.
Lighter is so awesome as long as you don't break parts.
Riding aggressiveness & body weight should dictate you components selection.

Exactly. I'm all about a full rigid MTB and a full on DH bike, but not XC hts with front suspension.