Quantcast

Should big bike brands adopt less frequent updates to their bikes?

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
Not sure why this just occurred to me, but I question the business sense of releasing slightly updated bikes each year at Interbike. Often the 'new' model is simply a different paint scheme and slightly revised parts mix. Where's the innovation?

Brands like SC, Intense, Yeti and other smaller brands simply choose to not get involved in the need to have a 'fresh' lineup each year.

• Should the big brands adopt the mentality of car manufacturers where they release a truly updated version (different tech, parts, etc) once every two or three years?
  • Wouldn't this allow them to better manage inventory and place less burden on the dealers to closeout each line annually at lower margins?
  • How would a slow down in releases affect the components manufacturers?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Not sure why this just occurred to me, but I question the business sense of releasing slightly updated bikes each year at Interbike. Often the 'new' model is simply a different paint scheme and slightly revised parts mix. Where's the innovation?

Brands like SC, Intense, Yeti and other smaller brands simply choose to not get involved in the need to have a 'fresh' lineup each year.
You kidding? How many DH bikes has Intense released in the last five years? Sixish?

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?

• Should the big brands adopt the mentality of car manufacturers where they release a truly updated version (different tech, parts, etc) once every two or three years?
  • Wouldn't this allow them to better manage inventory and place less burden on the dealers to closeout each line annually at lower margins?
You know what man, shut up. Just shut up. Your marketing jargon is not wanted around here.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Car manufactures make rolling changes with every model year. Just like bike companies tweak colors and parts.
Why are we even talking about this? Who cares?

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Bikes would be cheaper if they didn't change every year. The minuscule tweaks aren't worth it to me. I usually ride a bike for at least five years. I have been riding my Blur LT for three years and I have no desire to replace it....

Well, maybe a Tallboy would be nice.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
If it would reduce the amount of BS new "standards" like 1.5 Headtubes, 15mm front axles and 142.5094mm rear hub widths, I'd be for it.

Seems mostly like they're just changing things just so you will have to go out and buy more stuff and not really providing any improvement.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Not sure why this just occurred to me...

• Most auto manufacturers follow an 8 year life cycle for "major" changes.
    New tweaks, colors, and options every year
    New bumpers and trim every 2-4 years

If it would reduce the amount of BS new "standards" like 1.5 Headtubes, 15mm front axles and 142.5094mm rear hub widths, I'd be for it.

Seems mostly like they're just changing things just so you will have to go out and buy more stuff and not really providing any improvement.
    They are in the business of "selling" stuff you know. :thumb:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007

You're the first person I've seen use the {LIST} function.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
Guess kindergarten let out early today. Hope he gave you the happy meal you asked for in the back.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Let's say after 5 years on your bike you decide to get a new ride. Among your choices is a 4 year old model (due for a replacement in 18 months) or one that was just released with all the newest components, tech, and a trendy new paint job. Which will you choose?

Or, let's say you really like your current 4 year old bike and would like to get the latest version. But its the same bike you already have. Are you going to wait 18 months for the new one to come out? What if your bike breaks or is stolen?

Or, let's say you buy the bike of your dreams only to have it rendered obsolete by an all new model the very next year at the same price.

Or, let's say you have a shop full of bikes and their new models just came out. How much do you think you will need to mark them down to get people to buy the old models?

Last edited:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Im not trying to be a dick, but does anyone else find it funny that the three brands he chose are all ones that are constantly changing their lines? I mean intense JUST released the M9 and santa cruz JUST launched the carbon V10 and the nickel.