Quantcast

should i build this frame?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
from when i had some kinda design to having someting to ride was 1 month.

i mitre the tubes by hand with a electric file (grinder), search on youtube you might find something?

i'm super stoked with peoples comments, thanks loads!

Thanks! i will do..

It does look great!!! kinda like a sunn radical only better looking in my opinion.

can you tell us anything about the next design, mentioned a few posts up?

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
it looks similar to my not finished project http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiDHoy4BUU
where do you plan putting the damper?
with the front triangle like this you actually dont have a front triangle and so no strength at all.

and I think a plot of the leverage ratio would be interesting, I think that your leverage ratio ends almost with a 1:1 ratio(depending on your shock placement). so it will be extremely progressive, could be wrong I made some estimations based on the film.

Techson

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
where do you plan putting the damper?
with the front triangle like this you actually dont have a front triangle and so no strength at all.

and I think a plot of the leverage ratio would be interesting, I think that your leverage ratio ends almost with a 1:1 ratio(depending on your shock placement). so it will be extremely progressive, could be wrong I made some estimations based on the film.

like i'd say its only a project, i can change everything, i make this in 2 days whit no knowledge of designes program

sory for my anglish ;)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Wow, this is freaky. I designed a very very similar thing a few years ago! But you actually went and made it, in a month, and it looks fantastic! I guess great minds think alike...

This was my first design, for Aluminum fabrication:

I personally like the Silk-Ti style chainstay on that one. (You're right, according to my modeling, the vertical movement is pretty minimal for the chainstay...)

But of course, no one works in Aluminum, so I went to steel. This one is cool because the position of the upper pulley is adjustable, giving you and adjustable chainline and thus, being able to fine tune pedal feedback / acceleration. I always thought the best place for the chainline is inline with the main pivot or slightly below for a bit more anti-squat...

The other cool thing about the idler design was that it also served as a front derailer by sliding left and right. Maybe someone else can use some of these ideas?

But all the CAD in the world doesn't match someone who actually built theirs! It must be soooo satisfying to ride a bike you built with your own hands... Awesome!

-Aaron

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
hey thanks Aaron! and yeah building then riding a bike is the best! and this thing goes so good!

i've had thoughts about different idler positions too as well making it the front derailleur, maybe later on?

i had thoughts of the idler being behind and just above the main pivot so when the suspension is in its sag thats its in line with the pivot so that the chain toque will try to pull the axle into the sag position, kind of like what a VVP linkage does.

but it pedals so good as it is with no bob that i dont think it would be worth all the extra weight and engineering to move the idler?

how long does it take to do those CAD drawings? they do look cool

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Ha ha...it probably takes me more time to build a virtual bike than it does for you to build a real bike! I've got months in those models...months of evenings and free-time that is. Maybe 40 hours each?

When I was looking to find a builder for my frame, I realized that the idler was probably the most complex part. I eventually ended up designing something completely different just to avoid the complications... So I don't blame you for not wanting to screw around with it too much...sometimes simplicity is best. (K.I.S.S.)

After thinking through every aspect of frame design, I finally decided this was the best, everything considered, including a degree of simplicity:

About two months after I finished that one I saw the new Marin Quad Link bikes...doh! Oh well, guess I don't need to build one to see if it works...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
When I was looking to find a builder for my frame, I realized that the idler was probably the most complex part. I eventually ended up designing something completely different just to avoid the complications... So I don't blame you for not wanting to screw around with it too much...sometimes simplicity is best. (K.I.S.S.)

After thinking through every aspect of frame design, I finally decided this was the best, everything considered, including a degree of simplicity:
Could you not have not had the front shock mount on the frame and had it on the link instead so the shock was floating?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Coulda done that, kinda like the Marin, but there's no advantage to a floating shock (despite what the the marketing hype would have you believe) and I didn't want to compromise my link location, which is critical to achieve the desired axle path and instant center track. If that makes any sense. :bonk: