Quantcast

should i build this frame?

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
was bored ****less at work the other night so got on to paint and came up with this frame design, made in cromo steel.
i think it looks not to bad i reckon?
what are your thoughts?

but dont tell me its like a lahar tho!

Attachments

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
It's going to be pretty hard to plot a wheelpath for that due to all of the pivots. It looks like a Sunn Radical with a horst link. If you have the patience, go for it... It could be really sick in the end.

Edit: I looked at it more closely. It's just a single pivot so you know right where the wheelpath will go. Are you planning to mount the brake on the chainstay (not the part connected to the dropout)? Otherwise, I don't really see the point of a pivot right before the dropout.

2nd edit: I looked at it one more time. If you were to mount the brake on the chainstay the caliper would rotate around 30-45* where as if it was just fixed to the dropout it would suffer half as much squat. Now I have to ask, what exactly are you trying to do?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Give it a rip, never know where a torch and some minerals might take you.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
I don't think you should try building anything if your drawing package of choice is MS Paint
well i dont know piss all about CAD or what ever, but can still build a bike with out it aye, i've just finished my last bike and looking at doing something different for the next one.
might do a floatting brake on it? will build ride and see

Attachments

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
^^ Is that the original Sunn Radical? I always wanted one of those

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Maybe Flip the linkage, and attach it to the Seat tube Top tube Junction. Have the Seatstay push the linkage ... and slightly move the shock forward. (Pic - does this make it El Cuervo?)

Why not just Build your own frame of a current bike?

Attachments

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
I would build it. Whats your routing plan and material for the seat tube? Specifically where the rear swing arm mates.
i'm lookin at using two pices of 19mmx0.9 4130n tube(one on each side of the shock) that has been flattend out to 14mmx 23mm(see pic), i dont have bender so will have to cut and weld to go round the shock,
i'm not too sure how i'll do the idler tho, might just mount it off the end of the pivot bolt? will wait and see the chain does, maybe even put it on the swing arm or frame somewhere?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Man, what's up with the people on this board talking about building frames and then actually doing it in record time?
Congratulations and great job, how does she ride?

Oct 14, 2007
i still dont get how people get the headtube reamed,the bb threaded and making both paralell? with the seat tube also?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
that looks amazing, and you did it probably as fast, if not faster than some of the big boys seem to take to get new designs created!

i think you should get it painted and stickered, it has that sexy thin tubed sunn look about it

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
So how does it ride?

The bottom of that swinglink thingy looks like it's ready to pierce a hole in an unsuspecting tree, small animal, or your leg!

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
hey thanks for the positive coments guys!

I've been on the first ride and it goes frikin sweet! more of a on rails type ride than point and shoot, and the low CG is good very stable and easy keeping your balance.

now need to work out the cable routing, gusset up the head tube and tidy up the rockers.

ok the specs
8" travel with 2.75" stroke shock
HA 65 degs with 7" boxxer
BB 13.75
wheel base 46.25"
chain stays 17"

Attachments

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
That's sick! It looks really good now that you've got it done. It's really inspiring to see a frame from start to completion. I have one question though. Do you feel that the chainstays are too long?