Quantcast

Should I Buy a Jeep Wrngler?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
As a extra car? My wife drives a Liberty now and she drops me off at the train and then takes it to work. I have a 1995 Oldsmobile that we don't drive too much the olds would go to my Mom's garage because it only has 40,000 on it and I would never get anything for it.

The Wrangler would sit in the garage until weekends/ bad weather and then it would come out to play. Most likely it would be lifted a couple inches and maybe I would put some 33's on it. Not to mention some other aftermarket goodies.

In all likely hood it would be a 2nd/3rd vehicle for fun.

Pros/cons?

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Im wayyyy into Jeeps. I have a Liberty, but am going to be picking up a Wrangler this summer. Dont get a jeep if you want a car with good gas mileage, soft ride, solid feel, thats practical in any way, warm, or dry. But if you want the wind in your face and a dead reliable car, not to mention the ability to do the "jeep wave" then by all means go for it. If you want to learn more, I'd suggest signing up on www.jeepforum.com <= taught me everything i know.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
man im into jeeps like all get out too, but wrangler prob isnt the best bet right now, i mean they are super $$$ for a jeep you are going to use occasionally, drop a couple of grand and get an old cj, that you can use when it is nice out...they are real jeeps.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
stinkyboy said:
You don't buy a Wrangler, you build one.

You wouldn't understand...

I have to buy something before I can build it but that's the idea.

I have found several 2002 TJ's that can be had for $15,000 or so. I would spend about $2000 right away in mods. Then a little bit at a time.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Hawkeye said:
I have to buy something before I can build it but that's the idea.

I have found several 2002 TJ's that can be had for $15,000 or so. I would spend about $2000 right away in mods. Then a little bit at a time.
thats a bit high for a 02. you can probably get a new one for not much more than that with all the factory rebates right now. especially if youre going to mod the crap out of it, no sence in buying a jeep with extra stuff youre just going to rip out

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Hawkeye said:
I know I do. But $15,000 v. $32,000 thats a BIG difference.

Now 06 WRX Limited we may be talking.
what is this Limited version of which you speak?

new vehicle after ZJ has met the maker in 07 will be either

Subie
Toyo FJ Cruiser
4door TK

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
FWIW I love my 2000 Cherokee, it's my only vehicle and has been rock solid since I got it. I think a Wrangler would be a really fun toy but personally I would want something with more carrying capacity for getting people, gear and (of course) bikes out into the backcountry. Wranglers can get pretty cramped!

NFLPATS1

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
dorchester,MA
MancilG said:
I have had two jeep and I loved them both, just don't by the 4-banger.

GL
There is nothing wrong with the 4-banger as long as you're not towing or doing alot of highway driving. I have 161,000 miles on mine and it's been reliable as hell.
Chris

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
luken8r said:
what is this Limited version of which you speak?

new vehicle after ZJ has met the maker in 07 will be either

Subie
Toyo FJ Cruiser
4door TK

Subaru is making a WRX Limted which has leather and all sorts of creature comforts.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
I just picked up a 79' CJ-7 for 400 dollars. The body is straight, engine runs great, it passed smog with flying colors, has a 4 speed manual tranny. I just lifted it and put 33 inch pro comp Xterrains on it. Its great as a play vehicle, i love it to death. Goes anywhere. But don't use it for freeway driving, they are squirrely like all hell. And get an older jeep, its alot cheaper that way.