Quantcast

Should I get a Bullit?

Should I get a Bullit?

• Total voters

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Butcher seems like it could be a fun bike. Some updated geometry and (according to the SCB website) more than a pound lighter (not that you care). Here's a review I saw just this morning (probably a bit biased, but brings up some interesting points)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think it's Ciran that has the setup like I was eyeballing. 150mm rear axle with a 160mm adjustable fork and you could build up a sick do-all bike the is stout but not metric ton heavy.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Seriously. And I'm kind of a gear whore.

I think a Bullet would do you fine. I still think a SX Trail would be even better. They're awesome bikes- geo's a bit better than the Bullet's IMO, suspension is definitely nicer, and they're bombproof. Similar amount of travel/ weight/ intended use, just done better. You can find 2-3 years old used for a reasonable price. Look around and see what you can come up with.
Great explanation, I agree. The only advantage I see in a bullit is that it has a full seat tube, and you're tall. However, with all of these fancy dropper posts out there these days, that is less of an issue making an sx trail seem like a sweet choice.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok...need more suggestions. SX-T looks nice, but wouldn't you know it's like the only bike not stocked in the Specialized store near by? Gonna look around some more.

What y'all think about:

SC Butcher
Transition Blindside (or even a TR250, just for stupidity's sake)
Intense SS or Uzzi (redonkulously spendy though...)
Or?

I'm not looking for a smooth riding, flowy jumper style bike. I want a fvcking bulldozer. An M1 Abrams on two wheels that can occasionally pedal uphill. A bike that I pick a line based on quickest point from A-B, not what looks smooth or survivable.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have no time at all on a Butcher so I can't say anything at all useful about it. I like the TR250 a lot, but if you even want to pretend to pedal it uphill sometimes, I'd pass. The Blindside could work well. I rode a Bottle Rocket for years, which was pretty much a mini Blindside, and it was great. Dead reliable, took a hell of a beating and didn't care. Suspension wasn't that awesome, but it got the job done. The first generation of the SS would be good too. The interrupted seat tube and lack of FD compatibility on the second generation ones is a big negative for me unless it's a very purpose built bike as a part of a stable. They killed the versatility of the bike with the new ones. Haven't ridden the newer generation of the Uzzi, but have some time on the older ones and they get a resounding meh. Suspension's not bad, but the geometry is pretty weird. Didn't handle that well. Another not cheap, but potentially awesome option would be the Canfield One. Mega money if you're buying new, but if you can find a used one, or are willing to throw some coin down, I think it would do what you want really well. Same for a Knolly Delirium- not cheap, but if you can find a used one, it'll last fvcking forever. For cheaper stuff, a Giant Reign X would work really well. Having just now thought of that one after typing all of the stuff above, I think that's the best idea I've got at the moment.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have no time at all on a Butcher so I can't say anything at all useful about it. I like the TR250 a lot, but if you even want to pretend to pedal it uphill sometimes, I'd pass. The Blindside could work well. I rode a Bottle Rocket for years, which was pretty much a mini Blindside, and it was great. Dead reliable, took a hell of a beating and didn't care. Suspension wasn't that awesome, but it got the job done. The first generation of the SS would be good too. The interrupted seat tube and lack of FD compatibility on the second generation ones is a big negative for me unless it's a very purpose built bike as a part of a stable. They killed the versatility of the bike with the new ones. Haven't ridden the newer generation of the Uzzi, but have some time on the older ones and they get a resounding meh. Suspension's not bad, but the geometry is pretty weird. Didn't handle that well. Another not cheap, but potentially awesome option would be the Canfield One. Mega money if you're buying new, but if you can find a used one, or are willing to throw some coin down, I think it would do what you want really well. Same for a Knolly Delirium- not cheap, but if you can find a used one, it'll last fvcking forever. For cheaper stuff, a Giant Reign X would work really well. Having just now thought of that one after typing all of the stuff above, I think that's the best idea I've got at the moment.
I thank you for your time!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh and I typically ride a single speed, so a derailleur in back will seem like a luxury. A derailleur in front will seem like overkill. Single chainring in front is just fine by me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Fair enough. I'm actually mostly running single front rings at this point too. I still think the very interrupted seat tube on the current SS is a deal breaker. There's a very, very limited range of seat movement.

Still think the Reign X is a really good option. They're not that expensive, hold up well, Giant is really good with CS on the off chance something goes wrong, the geometry is good, the suspension is good, it pedals well, pretty light for what they are too. I wish the seat tube was a little shorter, but that's mostly because I have sorta short legs/ mega long arms for my height. If you're proportioned less like a chimpanzee it'll be fine.

DickemDown

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
Fair enough. I'm actually mostly running single front rings at this point too. I still think the very interrupted seat tube on the current SS is a deal breaker. There's a very, very limited range of seat movement.

Still think the Reign X is a really good option. They're not that expensive, hold up well, Giant is really good with CS on the off chance something goes wrong, the geometry is good, the suspension is good, it pedals well, pretty light for what they are too. I wish the seat tube was a little shorter, but that's mostly because I have sorta short legs/ mega long arms for my height. If you're proportioned less like a chimpanzee it'll be fine.
GoSchley! D'you punch that kangaroo for me yet?

Miss ya, son!

Herb

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
GoSchley! D'you punch that kangaroo for me yet?

Miss ya, son!

Herb
No kangaroo punching yet. They're big fvckers. I'd get my ass kicked. Having an awesome time in Oz though. Got to ride Canberra last weekend, which was a good time. I did see some wallabies play fighting on that ride though, so that's kind of a consolation prize on the kangaroo punching thing. Got a bunch of pictures I've been meaning to put up on facebook but haven't gotten a change yet. Stay tuned.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Sounds like a butcher might work, but the plowability may not be there. How about a demo 7? Cheap (and I think spec may have a few NOS), pedal ok when seated, two ring compatible. Pretty close to a tr 250 but cheaper. Can be built decently light, if you care:
http://www.nsmb.com/2976-readers-rides-1