Quantcast

Should I get a helmet?

I began wearing helmets because of my kids. I realized I couldn't very well tell them to wear a helmet while not wearing one myself. So I bought a good one and began to wear it. At first, I felt like a conspicuous, bloomin' idiot, but after a few months that feeling pretty much went away.

Bought a new helmet, a red one this time, just the other week. Came in handy yesterday too. I was coasting downhill, ducked my head to thread my way under a fallen tree that was leaning across the trail, and didn't duck far enough. I was glad enough for the helmet then, believe me.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
interesting side note, Ihave had thousands of crashes on my mountain bike, who hasn't?, and only twice have I hit my head, but I have had a small handfull of crashes comuting to work and obliterated three helmets and severly smashed two more. so for comuting I would say a helmet is not a good idea but an absolute must!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
A helmet is ALWAYS an absolute must, unless you are a clairvoyant type of person. ALWAYS expect that you will crash and hit your head, even if you're riding around your own driveway. NOBODY is too good to crash.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
right now im using one of those new protect that actually have strofoam on them i have taken crashes at proboly 30 mph on rocky single track and didnt even have a headache afterward.
i aslo tooka crash on the street when in was riding next to my friend and him being an mtb newb he made a sharp left from the right side of me and cut me off i hit his bike and flipped forward and my helmet and head was fine and we were hauling

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
It's not worth not wearing a helmet....and you can get one at like walmart for 10 dollars if you really don't want to spend lots of money on something that "makes me look like a geek."