Quantcast

Should I get a helmet?

muddy_fox

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
Hey peeps,

Just wondering if I can pick your brains again.

Basically I do low-level biking - don't do any jumping, off-road when following hounds across fields and on-road as a main mode of transport.

Should I bother getting a helmet or leave it until I manage to attain a higher level of biking? If the answer is yes any idea of what brand or things to look out for?

Cheers Claire

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
muddy_fox said:
Hey peeps,

Basically I do low-level biking - don't do any jumping, off-road when following hounds across fields and on-road as a main mode of transport.

Should I bother getting a helmet or leave it until I manage to attain a higher level of biking? If the answer is yes any idea of what brand or things to look out for?

Cheers Claire
The answer has to be yes. You could be riding down the road, hit a bump and smack your head against a curb. Or you go headfirst through a car window.

The morbid scenarios are endless, and a helmet will save your life, or at least make the rest of your life less painful.

Considering the 3 reasons not to get a helmet:

1. Comfort
2. Cost
3. I look like a geek

Most helmets weight no more than 11 ozs, and are well ventilated. I would recommend a $30 Bell or Giro (they each make 2-3 models in that price range.

Looking like a geek is all relative. Other cyclists will notice you aren't wearing helmet. When I take my helmet off, I just smooth down my hair. And blood is never attractive.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
muddy_fox said:
Hey peeps,

Cheers Claire

YES!

I agree w/Bell or Giro

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
it's probably better to get a helmet now, considering you're just starting out and more accidents happen when you're learning. Don't wait and ALWAYS wear it because if you don't and get hurt and come complaining to the monkeys, we will make fun of your stupid decision and not much sympathy will be had. I mean that in the nicest way and, I too, agree that a Giro or a Bell are great. Should be able to get a good deal (online for sure) because it's the end of the season.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Yes. Get a helmet. Spend as much as you can afford. Make sure it is Aunty and Smell rated. (ANSI and SNELL - I think you have the same ratings in the US - Anyone?)

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Snell helmets are hard to find (Specialized I know has all theirs Snell certified) but represent a higher standard of protection. They also have the ANSI certification as well. Bell, Giro, etc. have only ANSI, but should do the job. (It's not called ANSI anymore - something else, but I'm assuming it's equivalent.)

Apr 19, 2005
Rochester, NY
yeah, def good choice to go get a helmet. I took my bf on a ride with a few friends and he wasn't going to wear a helmet. I brought it anyway, and when one of my friends saw he was not wearing it, they started in on him. Can't ride to much if you crack your head open.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Ya' gotta wear the lid man! Some of the worst injuries I have seen have come when they are just taking it easy. I agree with my komrades on the bell/Giro helmets I prefer the better Giro's because of the RocLoc feature. and if you think wearing a Helmet makes you look like a dork, just imagine how you would look in a wheelchair....

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The responsible answer is of course, yes.

But it's your head so do whatever you think is right. Just don't expect much in the way of sympathy if you bust it open because you didn't have a lid on. :monkey:

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i couldnt agree more with the above responses :thumb:

i cant count the number of times a lid has saved my mellon.

it doesnt take much above 10mph collision with the asphalt/concrete to do irrevocable damage and that speed is easily attainable...

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
sanjuro said:
The answer has to be yes. You could be riding down the road, hit a bump and smack your head against a curb. Or you go headfirst through a car window.
Or, as my friends mom did, just came to a stop and tipped over and hit here head (granted, it may not sound like that takes talent, but you never know what the circumstances are). She lost her life to head trauma (no helmet). I know you said the morbid possibilites are endless, I am just echoing that fact.

I have seen the dents I put in helmets over the years, and always say, "wow that could have been my head".

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
yes get a helmet.. if you fall and hit your head and have serious problems you wont have to wonder if the helmet would have saved you

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
of corse when ever you ride a bike you wear a helmet because it is always that time when you think im going ot be fine that you fall, and you always fall when u don't expect it so yes get a helmet

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You are riding a bike, so you are going to fall/crash sooner or later. Besides the point that you could get messed up, falling on your head w/o a helmet hurts.

If you don't like the ones road bikers and cross country riders wear, get a skate style helmet like the bell faction. Most dirt jumpers, urban riders wear these helmets. Wearing a helmet doesn't make you look like a geek, it makes you look like like a biker.

If people think you look like a geek w/ a helmet, f*c* them. Also, you shouldn't care what people think about something like a helmet or whatever- they are dumba**es.

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
yeah my brother was just riding....
(no speed riding, weaving in and out of traffic)
just riding and some car turned left in front
of him and wam! his head was on the ground..
he had a helmet and is now okay to talk about
that idiot that turned infornt of him.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
if you honestly are not sure about this, my answer would be NO. The world needs at least one more self induced broken skulled brain damaged person to try to convince the next person to not have to ask this question. Wear a helmet, I have no desire to support you in a vegetative state!!!

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
teamkranzelbike said:
if you honestly are not sure about this, my answer would be NO. The world needs at least one more self induced broken skulled brain damaged person to try to convince the next person to not have to ask this question. Wear a helmet, I have no desire to support you in a vegetative state!!!
lol its so true too

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
muddy_fox said:
Hey peeps,

Cheers Claire

No way, wait until you regret not buying one sooner. Then get on :think:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yes get a helmet, you have to remember to expect the unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamkranzelbike

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
And to think all this time I thought they were just a fashion accessory?

J/K

Helmets have saved my noggin more times than I can count...........

And they look kewl doing it!

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Helmets, helmets...blah. I own a full face helmet for hucks and jumps, but that's it. I feel very comfortable w/o a helmet in the city, backroads, grassy trails, etc. Certainly the responsible thing to do would be to get one and wear it constantly, but that's your choice. I will personally never wear a helmet unless doing some sort of stunt or bombing downhill hard.

I honestly think that good shoes and a camelbak are more important for riding without stunts. Helmets don't make you faster, shoes and water backpacks can. Hell, I would definately get gloves over an XC helmet.

I'm sure I'm going to catch hell for this but honestly no one around here wears a helmet for just riding around. Maybe I'm mistakenly thinking that my big bike will be able to handle anything but whatever, it's a calculated risk.

Riding with your dogs in a field? Why wear a helmet, part of the fun of bikes is that you don't need any protection really, its just you in a T-shirt and shorts, no protective gear, out enjoying pedaling a bike.

Thats just my take,
Cam

J

JRB

Tharkun said:
Helmets, helmets...blah. I own a full face helmet for hucks and jumps, but that's it. I feel very comfortable w/o a helmet in the city, backroads, grassy trails, etc. Certainly the responsible thing to do would be to get one and wear it constantly, but that's your choice. I will personally never wear a helmet unless doing some sort of stunt or bombing downhill hard.

I honestly think that good shoes and a camelbak are more important for riding without stunts. Helmets don't make you faster, shoes and water backpacks can. Hell, I would definately get gloves over an XC helmet.

I'm sure I'm going to catch hell for this but honestly no one around here wears a helmet for just riding around. Maybe I'm mistakenly thinking that my big bike will be able to handle anything but whatever, it's a calculated risk.

Riding with your dogs in a field? Why wear a helmet, part of the fun of bikes is that you don't need any protection really, its just you in a T-shirt and shorts, no protective gear, out enjoying pedaling a bike.

Thats just my take,
Cam

I had a very stupid crash after I changed after a road ride. I dropped my shorts and they went between the tire and fork. I went ass over tea kettle and bled profusely. I would not have, had I had my helmet on. I wear it every time I ride now.