Quantcast

Should I Get A New Frame?

Should I get a new fram?

• Total voters

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That frame is bad ass, but I think it's overkill for 98% of the people who buy them. I had an '01 Stinky and beat the piss out of it. It put up with way more than I would ever be able to put it through. I could never see the need for something that buff unless you were riding at "video feature" level.

But that's just me.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
here's one piece of advice...
"if you can, do"
getting new parts and stuff is exciting, but getting a new frame, especially one as sweet as that is priceless.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, it is a combination of what do you get vs is it worth selling (assuming you plan on selling it).

I think Konas have bad resale value because their FS design is not "trick" and people who own Konas typically beat on them.

I like the new design though, and if you can afford it...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's not all that different, so unless there is something wrong I would keep on riding your great bike and save the cash for something else.

And don't worry, we'll still call you Stinky if you get something else. :)

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Well my personal view on bikes (and life, for that matter) is much more minimalist. I think people put way too much into always having the newest, best, coolest, etc. Always quick to spend money on new stuff; stuff they usually don't need. The more the better, the more expensive the better. It's pointless and wasteful.

As for the frame, Stinky, if you think it's something you'll use a lot and something that will be a vast improvement over your current Stinky than go for it. More power to ya. I suppose the real question is, if you can afford it because if buying a new frame is going to take away from something better you could be doing with that mulah than you need look at priorities.

That thing is pretty badass, though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
narlus said:
what is yr current fork or shock? maybe upgrade either of those instead..
I have a 7" Jr T and a Fox with Pro Pedal. I'd swap over the Jr T and start saving for a Fox 40. Maybe youse right. Maybe some fresh ano and a couple new parts.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i would certainly ditch the jr T for a better fork, before buying a new frame when the current one is only two years old.

hell, that's newer than any of the 4 bikes i currently own.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
greg447 said:
why dont you buy the stinky frame, not the stinky primo, is there any difference in the geometry or anything?
Stinky = DHX 3 shock.

Stinky Deluxe = DHX 4 shock.

Stinky Primo = DHX 5, and the color. Burnt orange is the new root beer. :redhot:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
three reasons why i say get the new stinky.
1-it's badass
2-new stuff is fun
3- you're stinkyboy, you can't not ride a stinky.
i rest my case.

oh, and saving up for a 40 would be the ****.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think the new stinky is an awesome frame and they are very tried and true. the inception of the stinky was pretty much what brought the whole freeride scene into existence. people dog on kona because they make their own tubing anb blah blah blah but in my many years of riding i rarely ever hear of one breaking. i say if ya got the dough get the frame.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
stinkyboy said:
Burnt orange is the new root beer. :redhot:
Hell yeah. I've been pushing burnt orange for months now. Actually I think white might be making a comeback soon.