Quantcast

Should I just chuk it and get a new one?

So I've really been getting into spinning at the gym lately, and I'm wanting to take it outside on my mountain bike(if I can stand the heat). I have a GT Tequesta that is probably 3-4 years old, pretty good components, and I really like it. I mentioned to my roommate that I was thinking about getting some shocks for it, and she said I should just get a new bike. The frame is kinda heavy, and of course, I can rationalize a new bike. Any suggestions as to what I should do and possibly a good bike to invest in if I do decide to chuk it?:confused:

R

RideMonkey

The big question is: How much do you want to spend on the new bike? There are plenty of sweet rides out there..........

Pale

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
New Mexico
Not familiar with that bike, but if you like it, I'd take it on a few trails and see how it performs. If nothing else, it could help you decide on what you really want in a bike. (or don't want)

You didn't say what price range you'd be looking at, so it's hard to recommend a bike (meaning, I wouldn't want to recommend a $1500 bike if you are in the market for a $800 bike). You also don't say if you would be looking at hardtails, or dualies.

Shocks - If you want to add them (and believe me, you do) I'd look at bikes in the price range you are going to look at and buy a better shock than those come with. That way you can do an instant upgrade to the bike. On the other hand, my local LBS will put upgrades on the bike *at their cost* when you buy it (and no labor charges). You might want to ask what you LBS's policy is on this. This could save you big bucks if you upgrade at the time of purchase.

Personally, I prefer hardtails, but I'm thinking Titus Switchblade
in the next six or seven months. I need to play around with one a couple of times before I decide. Also have to justify to my wife why I need a bike that expensive. :) If anyone wants to shoot me a list of excuses, err, reasons to go for it - I'm all ears

I might get some flak for this, but I'm a big fan of Schwinn. I think they make some really good bikes, but this might be a carry over from my stingray days (how I wish I still had one as a conversation piece). :D

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Don't apologize about the Schwinn comment...you see, that old, creepy farmhouse that you thought was abandoned but I really live in it is located in Boulder, and as you know, that's where Schwinn's headquarters is located. I think Schwinn is doing a great job with trying to win back the market...they did make a fatal mistake in the mid '80s when they said that mountain bikes were a "fad."

And please don't laugh, but what the heck are hard tails and dualies (sp?)? :o :o :o

Pale

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
New Mexico
Hardtails are bikes without rear suspension. Dualies (might be local slang) are bikes with front and rear suspension.

yeah, Schwinn is doing some good things, just sorry to see that the company is having $$ problems (or whatever the reason they are for sale is). I hear Huffy is in the bidding to buy them, but I don't think anyone would buy them just to crap out the name. Even if Huffy buys, I believe they would take care of them (ala Airborne) and keep the company pretty much the same.

Originally posted by Pale
I'm thinking Titus Switchblade
in the next six or seven months. I need to play around with one a couple of times before I decide. Also have to justify to my wife why I need a bike that expensive. :) If anyone wants to shoot me a list of excuses, err, reasons to go for it - I'm all ears

Chu cud tells her da Titus Switchblade is one of da finest bikes HELLTACO has ever rid. I aint gots one but if I had ta buy a bike right dis second it would be my choice.

Well, I just saw what you guys were talking about--the Titus Switchblade--and it is really awesome...unfortunately, I have to pay rent and bills, as well as feed and clothe myself, so a $3,000+ bike isn't really realistic for me. But my god, if I could afford it, I would get it! And for those of you who could afford it, go for it! :cool:

Pale

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
New Mexico
Leatherface - time to face up man. You enjoy biking, but I'm willing to be you don't enjoy paying rent, paying bills, and buying clothes (after all, you were born naked right?).

The obvious solution to the problem is to get the bike and quit engaging in unpleasurable activities. You might have to mow a lawn or two every week to eat at the 1/2 price bread store, but you'd be happy - and riding something sweet. :D

------------------------serious mode on--------------------------

Yep, that bike is major $$. I would never recommend someone spend more than they can afford on a bike (although I see alot of folks doing that with the cars they drive). I'm not rich by any means, so I have to plan these things out far in advance. :)

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
My bike was only $350 and I love it. It's my first MTBike and I don't have anything to compare it to since I'm a beginer but I really like it. It is a Specialized hardrock F1 sport, it is a hardtail. So far it has been taking a pretty good beating.

Originally posted by LeatherFace
So I've really been getting into spinning at the gym lately, and I'm wanting to take it outside on my mountain bike

If chor talkin' spinnin and mountain bike in the same breath maybe chu cud keeps da bike the way it is and add road tires. Spinnin' cud be better on a paved road than in da dirt. Then chu cud take your time and look for a good used mountain bike.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
If your looking for something affordable, you can get a real nice bike for about 450.00. I reccomend the Gary Fisher marlin.

Great bike, great price, and REAL easy to upgrade.

Just on mans opinion!!!!!:D

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Here's the word on the street. Both GT and Schwinn have been having $$$ problems for multiples of years. In Schwinn's case they've been able to keep close to that majic line by releasing new bikes that stay competitive with other companies. The problem is they are out of R&D money now. That means no more beating the clock. Huffy has BOUGHT both GT and Schwinn. Its done. Ink is drying. What happens next is anybodies guess. Let's all hope Huffy does the smart thing and helps these companies rebuild under their supervision and ownership. It would be a shame to loose either of these companies and further reduce the number of quality bike builders in the market. Rumor has it among the factory reps and buyers that Huffy will take all models of one of these lines and slap their names on them to reposition the huffy name into the mid to high end bike market (i.e. Huffy I drive :( :( :( >) Again, what WILL happen is anybody's guess. Right now, I don't think even Huffy knows what their next move will be.

I had heard about the Huffy/Schwinn/GT buy out. It's too bad because if anything, Schwinn is an American icon. Unfortunately, they made the mistake in thiinking that mountain bikes were a fad. But I'm a bit leary of the whole Huffy thing, though. Talk about having to deal with a name--I think it may take some hard marketing for Huffy to be recognized and taken seriously in the mountain biking world. And no offense to those of you who have Huffys out there, but I have always thought of them as affordable bike for kids or casual riders that you can get at Wal-Mart. ;) :D

i do not reconize the make you have, besides i am an old fart by standard, over 30. anyway, questions,
1- how much are you riding?
a- not much (3-5x a month) stick with what ya got unless it is a walmart bike
b- little (5-10 days a month) consider it if you can afford 800 and up, otherwise, start saving for a 800-1500 bike
c - a lot (10-30 days a month) do it, moonlight, take a second job, eat ramen noodles for a year but get a 800-1500 bike

2- price, if you are looking at under 800 for a bike, well, unless you got a tank and you ride a lot... wait and save for a lighter bike at 800-1500
if you got 800 - 1500 now for a bike, go to it

bottom line, get out and ride, if you constantly break stuff, replace what you break with better parts (wheels, hubs, crank, etc) then as you ride a ton take those awsome components and put on a titanium frame (hardtail, full float/dualies are for folks that are descending all the time as the primary attraction. otherwise it is more wieght)

but, a better bike does not make a better rider, time in the saddle makes a better rider.

thats all I have to say about that
justin
aka barbarosa

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Leatherface, dear, remember how much of a pain I told you upgrading mine was?
After everything I did, I definitely could've bought a new bike.
You live right next to the school, college kids are always looking for a dependable bike...see if you can get maybe $100-150 for it.
Then take that, put it with your gigantic savings (ok, slight assumption there) and get the bike you'd like to have.
Of course, this is also assuming you have some kind of budget in mind.

I totally agree with barbarosa, the better bike doesn't make the better rider. He's got some good ideas there regarding amount of usage to amount spent.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

LF, I would have to agree with Krustee about the "find a decent used rig" for the time being. I would also suggest starting a "piggybank" in the sense of a big 5 gallon water jug and put all of your bar change, an extra buck, etc. into it and after about 6 to 8 months, you will be surprised at how much money you have.

I did this to a certain extent but I put in the money I would have used to eat fast food in the jug. So, double effect - didn't eat junk food and rewarded myself for having self-discipline. Maybe it will work like that for you.

Where I saved a ton 'o cash on my bike purchase was going with a little-known frame. Mine is an 18" custom aluminium hardtail from my LBS (the chief wrench there welds 'em) that cost me all of $225, and the cash I saved went to buying a better component group (XT insted of LX) and I could then afford hydraulic discs from Magura. Had I held out for a "name" frame, I would have about the same quality but with Deore and cheap goodies.

Even if you don't ride that much, you should still make sure that you get a bike that FITS. $10,000 worth of downhill perfection is USELESS unless the bike fits you. For this reason I would suggest taking someone who knows about bike fit with you when you go to purchase your used (or new) bike.

My two pfennige,

fit is as importantant as your mothers milk!

If you are in Bulder area or Denver, you gotta have Annie fit you if you really start putting on miles... it is about 100 bills plus but she is a PT and cycling coach and former racer, she knows her stuff. She will set up your contact points and talk about your form in the spin and adjust shoes cleats etc etc etc.

Makes a difference when your foot is inline corectly for your body to the bike to be more effective.

If your leg extension is off, too short to tall , it can mess with your power, or joints. On the smooth non bumpy stuff you want extension like a roadie, on the single track and trails, you want you seat a 1/4 - 1/2 lower as you should be out of the saddle a lot and need to slide your body all over to keep the bike up..

my two more pennies, but now I am almost up to a nickle!

1/4 or 1/2 meaning inches, meaning very very slightly lower.

the only time to radically lower is if you are trials on trails. or climbing 2-3 foot obsicals and descending stuff you cant walk up so you are sitting on the back tire with your butt over the rear axel.... we're talking radical

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Most of the time fixing up an old rig becomes a money pit that never ends ,Look around GT and Schwinn has some great deals out there the only draw back is warranty :eek: because if you have a big:( problem you have to deal with it your self until the ship is righted ,also this is becoming a new year soon and the last years bikes will be on sale there are even some two year old bikes that are needing a new home :D Good Luck and Enjoy the ride PS can you post a picture of your room mate yyyour mom told you sharing is good ;)

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Shocktower....you're starting to sound like Stosh...that may not be a good thing (ha, just givin' you a hard time Stosh!).

Search around...there are about 30 pics of her roommate...I say if you want to find out who it is then you have to work for it.
And then you can get in line with the 4 zillion other monkeys that drool over her.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by buttychunkster
I saw episode four last night on the deviil box..well I saw most of it..fell asleep and woke up to see luke destroy the death star! ;)
Damn! Thanks for blowing the ending for me!

:p

S

Sniper

some deals i saw on supergo.com for different budgets.

hardtails
'01 gt avalanche 2.0 $499, msrp $850
'01 schwinn moab disc $649, msrp $980
'01 schwinn moab-1 lx/xtr drivetrain $749, msrp $1099
'01 homegrown comp $899, msrp $1400
dual
'01 schwinn rocket-88 stage 3 lx/xt mix, manitou mars $849, msrp $1400
'01 schwinn rocket-88 stage 2 lx/xtr mix, manitou sx-r $999, msrp $1700

haven't ridden any of these, but they'd all make decent beginner bikes, no? i've heard that the homegrown is a sweet frame. can anyone confirm if these are decent deals or not?
and they're all under $1k. don't know if any of these fit your budget, LF.

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
The only one I've ridden out of those is the Homegrown...I'm pretty inexperienced, but the guy who owned it absolutely loves it. I've also heard plenty of good things about it.
Depending on the component group, it would appear that's a pretty darned good price. I know when this guy got his he shelled out well over $1000.