Quantcast

Should i keep Sunday or sell and get 224

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
gday all

I know you guys are sick of these threads...but..eh..thats what forums are for.:P anyway...i just got a sick offer from a guy and he wants to buy my sunday, and i am very interested in the Orange 224. Do you guys reckon i should get the 224 or keep it? i know these 2 bikes are completely different, so it will be hard to compare, but which of these 2 will you go for? Also i have an Avy on the sunday..should i shove the 5th element back in the sunday and keep the avy for the 224? or will the avy not go well with 224?

thanks for the help in advance

KC

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I've ridden neither of these frames. However, regarding your shock, I would certainly keep the Avalanche. The Avalanche is going to retain its value better if you ever chose to sell, and can be re-tuned to match new frames as they come. It's a more desirable shock, and if you can sell your Sunday for the same price with either shock, I think it makes more sense to keep the more valuable one.

I am confused as to why you would want to make the switch, though. Everything I have read in the last few months has extolled the Sunday as the it bike. The 224 is somewhat similar to a Gemini DH, which is what I ride. The 224 is a great bike, but it is built on the oldest bicycle suspension technology. I don't mind single pivot bikes, but they definitely have some drawbacks. You're going to lose suspension compliance during braking, suffer pedal feedback, and probably have to work harder to accelerate the bike. However, the 224 is very light, and if that's what you're looking for, I think it will be hard to beat.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nobody can answer this question for you, since you have provided exactly zero reason to do either thing.

The Sunday is a great bike. The 224 is a great bike. Do you have any reason whatsoever to be considering this switch? Is there anything about the 224 that you feel would suit you better than the Sunday?

Seeing as you posted no reason that you are dissatisfied with your current bike, I might draw the conclusion that you just want new stuff. Which is fine, it makes the world go 'round, but ask yourself first:

- Can you afford this new stuff, or are you going to be sacrificing something else just so you can have a new frame?

- Are you going to be happy with this new stuff? You're considering going from a bike that is very neutral when pedaling and very decent under braking, to a bike that is not neutral under either circumstance (or, possibly the latter but you need to be using a floater)

Not much is better than unpacking and building that new, gleaming frame. But just make sure that the money and the experience is going to be worth that few days of glee. 'cause it's gonna suck if in a couple months you're really wishing you had that money back and decide you liked the Sunday better after all.

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
binary visions said:
Nobody can answer this question for you, since you have provided exactly zero reason to do either thing.

The Sunday is a great bike. The 224 is a great bike. Do you have any reason whatsoever to be considering this switch? Is there anything about the 224 that you feel would suit you better than the Sunday?

Seeing as you posted no reason that you are dissatisfied with your current bike, I might draw the conclusion that you just want new stuff. Which is fine, it makes the world go 'round, but ask yourself first:

- Can you afford this new stuff, or are you going to be sacrificing something else just so you can have a new frame?

- Are you going to be happy with this new stuff? You're considering going from a bike that is very neutral when pedaling and very decent under braking, to a bike that is not neutral under either circumstance (or, possibly the latter but you need to be using a floater)

Not much is better than unpacking and building that new, gleaming frame. But just make sure that the money and the experience is going to be worth that few days of glee. 'cause it's gonna suck if in a couple months you're really wishing you had that money back and decide you liked the Sunday better after all.
Wow u are really the voice of reason!!! I think you saw right through me!!! i guess i just wanted new "bling" stuff...i mean...i am totally satisfied with the sunday..maybe one or 2 parts need to be swapped out..but it is perfectly fine!!! however there is 1 thing...not to do with the performance with the sunday...i need to sleep on this...whether it is worth probably spending a little bit for a new bike and risk if i like it or not...or to keep what i have

thanks heaps

KC

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
having never ridden either bike, i would say get the 224. i think those bikes are pretty.

i would also think that a platform shock like the 5th would be a better choice for the Sunday's single pivot than a more active shock like the Avy.

also, if you are going for the 224, consider the fact that one of the best things about the frame is low weight. you may want to go with the lighter of the two shock option.

other than that, listen to binary.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mandown said:
i would also think that a platform shock like the 5th would be a better choice for the Sunday's single pivot than a more active shock like the Avy.
:confused:

Did you mean the 224's single pivot?

other than that, listen to binary.
Of course, everyone should always listen to me. I've got loads of great ideas :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
sorry, i meant the 224.

i liked the point above about the "oldest technology." yeah, cause anything that has been around for so long cannot be as good as the new $hit, no matter what the race results say :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
TurnerDHRider said:
gday all.....thanks for the help in advance

KC
Since it doesn't really matter as long as it's different, get a Turner. That way you will satisfy your need for something new and we will no longer be confused by your username.

:)

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Why change when you already have got used to the way the Sunday rides and you're happy with it?

I have a 7Point and consider it to be the best riding FS bike I've been on so far. I've ridden a Bullit, M1, Turner RFX (friends) and the DW link really works for me and the kind of riding that I do. Why change for the sake of 'bling'?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stgil888 said:
The 224 is a great bike, but it is built on the oldest bicycle suspension technology. I don't mind single pivot bikes, but they definitely have some drawbacks. You're going to lose suspension compliance during braking, suffer pedal feedback, and probably have to work harder to accelerate the bike. However, the 224 is very light, and if that's what you're looking for, I think it will be hard to beat.
I agree on the first points. The 224 has much less pedal inteference than the 223 due to pivot placement. It does stiffen up a bit under braking, but I can't say it is something I really notice. I had a floater on my 223, and ditched it on the 224 as it didn't really do anything.

On the last point, i completely disagree. The 224 pedals like a rocket, more so than any other Dh bike I have ever ridden. It will, in fact, require less work to accelerate.

The avy will need to be completely revalved on the 224. In fact, i would simply ditch it for a regular shock. The fox's have worked great for us, and the 5th were good before that (though gave the bike that dead feeling 5ths are famous for.

That said, you have a good bike now...why change right before the season? They are COMPLETELY different bikes, and you will need a good while to get used to the 224.

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
TurnerDHRider said:
I know you guys are sick of these threads KC
Not sick at all buddy! Since they cancelled Miami Vice I ain't got much to do besides taking care of my lizard, his name is Tomac.

My opinion is biased as I own a Sunday, but if you take a close look, the 224 seems kinda weak. No wonder Steve Peat left.