Quantcast

Should I PUSH it

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
As the title suggests, I'm thinking about sending in my DHX 5.0 to get Push'd before the start of the new season. My only question is, is it worth it to pay $200 plus s&h to have a shock rebuilt versus saving a little more cash and just buying a totally new one. The shock's on a Banshee Legend, with an obtanium ti spring....monkeys voice your opinion! And if possible try to speak from experience and not internet hearsay that you read on a forum, or that a buddy read on a buddy's forum then related back to you...thanks

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
As the title suggests, I'm thinking about sending in my DHX 5.0 to get Push'd before the start of the new season. My only question is, is it worth it to pay $200 plus s&h to have a shock rebuilt versus saving a little more cash and just buying a totally new one. The shock's on a Banshee Legend, with an obtanium ti spring....monkeys voice your opinion! And if possible try to speak from experience and not internet hearsay that you read on a forum, or that a buddy read on a buddy's forum then related back to you...thanks
Do it. End of thread.

Seriously, they dont just rebuild it. It gets the compression tuned to your leverage ratio, riding style, and weight not to mention a complete rework to your specifications. The shock will ride completely different (in a better way). :thumb:

If you want to test a new shock, you should try a Diverse one. They are new and seeing as their prices are really low for a pretty advanced shock, I would love some real-world reviews on them. You could be a test dummy!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Its worth it, you get a shock tuned for you!

My stock DHX was a wallowy freak show, once pushed it has been consistent and easy to ignore (as in its doing its job, no need to give it a thought).

Despite a stiffer spring, and better pedaling, it is MORE active and made my VPF's wallow go away!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yea my biggest problem right now is high speed compression, my mid-stroke feels like **** and on big drops it's just blowing through travel (and yes I've played with my settings etc) I've never heard of diverse....can't say I'd pay to try one...so you're all suggesting getting it Push'd is better then buying a new lets say elka or bos? I can probably get cost on either if that changes anything...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Mind you, I am getting the Elka for my BLT2 versus PUSHing the RP23.

I cant vouch for CCDB or Elka, but ANY shock tuned properly for the individual is going to work better than a great shock with bad settings. I think you would probably see greater potential with a CCDB or S*toy, but not definitely. If you are a tuner minded guy, and have patience, I would probably go for the CCDB -- if you want a solid performing shock that is much better than what you have and you just want to 'set it and forget it' then the PUSH will make you pretty happy IMHO.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Getting any shock PUSHd is much better than having a stock shock. My point is that the DHX is old technology and new shocks are a better base for tuning.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4onJ7Z2MLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4onJ7Z2MLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Don't just get the Factory Tune, get the MX Tune. They replace the whole shock bridge with an Avalanche unit with HSC & LSC. Makes it a whole different shock and it's sweet (have one on my V10). Only complaint, the adjusters require a screwdriver & wrench instead of being knobs. They told me they will have knobs in the future so call & ask'em.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
unfortunately the site's saying they're out of MX tune and I'm not sure if I have time to wait...also not sure if a CCDB will fit in the legend and I'm definitely a set and forget kinda rider, I'll make initial adjustments but other then that I'd like to pretty much just check the air throughout the season and that's about it...

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4onJ7Z2MLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4onJ7Z2MLI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Don't just get the Factory Tune, get the MX Tune. They replace the whole shock bridge with an Avalanche unit with HSC & LSC. Makes it a whole different shock and it's sweet (have one on my V10). Only complaint, the adjusters require a screwdriver & wrench instead of being knobs. They told me they will have knobs in the future so call & ask'em.
MX Tune is not available according to their website. My last email asking about it got me an answer of "they are not sure when the MX bridge will be avaiable again"

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
yea my biggest problem right now is high speed compression, my mid-stroke feels like **** and on big drops it's just blowing through travel (and yes I've played with my settings etc)
PUSH does really nice work and i'm sure they can help you out.

What settings did you have your DHX5 at? How were you adjusting the dhx5 to help with big drops / g-outs? What do you mean when you say your biggest problem is high speed compression?

If you do decide to go the PUSH route, try to describe to them what it is you're after in detail and be as honest/detailed as you can be.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
my shock seemed to be plowing through the end of it's stroke so I would turn up the bottom out a little (which wouldn't make much difference) so i'd turn it up a little more and then the whole stroke would be much stiffer...basically i'm just looking to get a little more out of my shock this season so the big question is do i shell out the 200 for push to service it, or just save the cash and put it towards a new shock...(stoy/elka)

SCARY

Not long enough
Dude ,just about everyone on here said to do it already.I had my 224 done 2 months ago ,and it's awesome.Is a new shock gonna be cheaper than this?No.Like the other guy said be complete in your descriptions and riding level and what tounwant out of the shock when you talk to PUSH. You will get want you want.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Another vote here supporting to PUSH it. Doesn't matter if the DHX is old tech, they gut it and only use the shell. You get brand new internals. Speaking from experience, it is worth getting the Factory Tuning System. I can't say anything about the MX Tune since I haven't tried it but I can only imagine that it is the bomb.

I think the $199.00 is better money spent on your existing shock than buying a new one for twice that.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
unfortunately the site's saying they're out of MX tune and I'm not sure if I have time to wait...also not sure if a CCDB will fit in the legend and I'm definitely a set and forget kinda rider, I'll make initial adjustments but other then that I'd like to pretty much just check the air throughout the season and that's about it...
pretty sure sicklines had a CCDB in theirs?? or maybe that was their hooked up morewood. i cant remember.

Last edited:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
good call yuroshek good call forgot all about that (something is rotting my brain) and sounds like my shock is getting sent off to push