Quantcast

Should I replace my E13 stem?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
My e13 direct mount stem is pretty old now. Probably about 5/6 years old or so? Do these things have a shelf life or should I stop being a sissy and keep riding it.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Depends how much abuse it has seen. 5/6 years seems like a pretty reasonable amount of life to ask out of a component though. Get a new one if you are worried about it, $40-$80 isnt alot of money to keep you from smashing face first.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Kind of what I thought. I am only 68kgs and my riding level is fairly tame compared to some folks so I could probably keep running it. I think the E13 one is supposed to be pretty robust? I might change it for the hell of it - I found some burgtec ones cheapish so it might just be an excuse!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Its likely not going to snap on you the next time you ride or anything like that, but it would definitely be a little added sense of security if you replaced it

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
when was the last time you replaced your handlebars?

I've personally never seen a stem fail, but I've seen plenty of bars snap.
Brings up a good point ^ never seen either fail in person. But ive seen plenty of pictures of broken bars. Never a stem. How long is it? Direct mount or steerer mount?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Pull it off of the fork and take off the bars. Inspect it for stress cracks. Can't recall if the E13 was painted or ano (guessing ano) but if ano, should be visible. None? Slap it back on.
The only stem that I have ever "broken" was a Thomson X4.... and that was a crack that developed on the faceplate near one of the bolts. Cause? Probably the ham fisted wrench that installed it and overtorqued the bolt. (Me)