Quantcast

Should I ride a large?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
But on a DH you really are not sitting down. Yes the saddle helps with control but standing up, the position of your feet which is determined by the postion of the bb becomes relevant when your hands are on the bars and your body is in attack position. I am not saying TT is irelavant, I am only say it is hard to compare between bikes for sizing when using the TT. My new Delerium is an amazing fit for me. I think at 6'1" I am sitting on the fence for getting the right size for my style. I like to play on my bike more than anything. The Delerium has a slack seat angle which increase the cockpit size when extended. I was worried it would be too big for a play bike but with the saddle down it really drops a size and with saddle up is perfect for pedaling. Best fitting bike I have owned to date.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I remember being surprised by how short ol' Sammy's tt is and he's been known to ride kinda fast.
I don't know if you mean his Sunday or the Demo, but I seem to remember in the Dirt feature on Hill's custom Iron Horse, the party line was that he was on a medium but the downtube measurement was the same as the production large. Somebody correct me on this if I'm wrong.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
quoted for tons of innuendo!:brows:
rofl

Look at the bikes of all the top riders. Atherton, Minnaar, Peat, Barel. All really damn long. Granted, they're tall riders, but you don't see them cramped onto bikes that are too small.
look at the bikes of all the other top riders - fairclough is on a medium and he is about 6, minnaar is 6'4 or something super tall and lanky, and by that logic, they should be on xl's, and he was riding a bone stock large, donno about the newer v10 sizing. Hell, the athertons were winning on small dh comps when they raced for giant, have you ever been on a small dh comp? those things are fuggin TIIINY. I'm fairly confidant people are all over the board on this.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
You're 6'1" and ride a medium Reign? That's really small. I demoed a large at 6'2" and felt like I was right over the rear wheel on everything. Are you doing lots of climbing/XC length rides, or is it a playbike?
I do ride it uphill quite a bit and the length is not to much of an issue for me, which is surprising because I have some ape hangar arms. The bike performs as I would expect and has a 46" wheelbase which I feel is a good combination of maneuverability and stability.

I rode the Reign for the first time the other day on a dh trail and while it was a little finicky on parts I was still able to keep up just fine with what I would call good riders on full on dh/fr bikes.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I'm 5'10" and always rode smalls up until 2008 when I got my M roundtube DHR. I then rode a med 951 for awhile, and now I'm on a Long Makulu. I'm all about the long top tube! It kinda sucks when you're half-assing your riding (which I often do), but when I'm feeling good, I fit inside the bike much better and can ride it much more ragged and feel confident. I actually went back to my old size Small Sunday frame this spring when I broke my 951, and I could not for the life of me believe that I used to ride that thing. It felt so sketchy after 2.5 years on mediums.

I ride mostly slower, techier DH trails.